AMEX Charge Platinum travel insurance... kids covered when traveling on their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@rcoPolo

I've been reading the T&C's and I guess the answer is yes, but I'd be interested in your comments on the subject...

My kids (aged 15 & 16, both are students and dependents) will be travelling to Europe next year for a 3 weeks holiday, staying with some family friends. They will be travelling on their own, my wife (additional cardholder) and I (primary cardholder) will stay in Sydney.

Will they be covered by the Charge Plat insurance policy? I was under the impression they wouldn't unless my wife or myself were travelling with them, but looking at the T&C's it looks like they would "You/Your means any person provided they are an American Express Platinum Card member or their Spouse or Dependent Child."

Do you agree? Should I get this spelled out in writing by the insurer?

Re: AMEX Charge Platinum travel insurance... kids covered when traveling on their own

I've been reading the T&C's and I guess the answer is yes, but I'd be interested in your comments on the subject...

My kids (aged 15 & 16, both are students and dependents) will be travelling to Europe next year for a 3 weeks holiday, staying with some family friends. They will be travelling on their own, my wife (additional cardholder) and I (primary cardholder) will stay in Sydney.

Will they be covered by the Charge Plat insurance policy? I was under the impression they wouldn't unless my wife or myself were travelling with them, but looking at the T&C's it looks like they would "You/Your means any person provided they are an American Express Platinum Card member or their Spouse or Dependent Child."

Do you agree? Should I get this spelled out in writing by the insurer?
I believe they are covered but it is always good to check. At worst you could get them supp cards in which case they would definitely be covered.

Re: AMEX Charge Platinum travel insurance... kids covered when traveling on their own

I believe they are covered but it is always good to check. At worst you could get them supp cards in which case they would definitely be covered.

Will check. Cannot get them supp cards as they need to be 18yo

Will check. Cannot get them supp cards as they need to be 18yo

Exactly. I have just signed up for the card, and my question is slightly different but similar to yours. My kids are 6 & 7 so they'd only ever be travelling with my, so it looks as though my question is answered (thanks) and they will be covered in this situation.

My reading of terms is that you are covered just by having a card. No need to buy tickets with the card. No need for primary cardholder to travel with the kids.

Just called the insurer - ACE Assistance on +61 2 9335 3492
They confirmed the kids - provided they fit the definition of "Dependent Child" below have the same level of cover as I do, doesn't matter if they are travelling with me or on their own...

Dependent Child means the American Express Platinum Card member’s legally
dependent child up to and including the age of twenty-four (24), including a
stepchild or legally adopted child, who is wholly dependent on the American Express
Platinum Card member for financial support.

Note the same is true for your spouse, so there's no need for him/her neither to travel with you nor to be a supplementary cardholder in order to be covered by travel insurance...

Thanks for taking the time to call and post the results. Very handy to know.

An equivalent family policy with a traditional insurer would be $500 p.a. and I'm not sure many of them would allow kids to travel alone. Good value for Amex plat then!!

My 14 year old daughter is traveling to Canada early next year on a school exchange. Tickets were bought on visa before I signed up for my Platinum charge card. Do you reckon she'd be covered by the Amex policy?

My 14 year old daughter is traveling to Canada early next year on a school exchange. Tickets were bought on visa before I signed up for my Platinum charge card. Do you reckon she'd be covered by the Amex policy?
To be safe I would ring Ace and ask and also get them to send you a copy of the T&C.

Yes, no need to buy tickets with the card to be covered by the policy.

Yes, no need to buy tickets with the card to be covered by the policy.

Correct, and it was this that pushed me over the edge in the decision to apply for this card (because the majority of my travel is booked and paid for by my employer, paying myself is not an option).

Thank you for the advice.

Could someone please point me to the relevant terms and conditions re not having to purchase a ticket to get the travel insurance.

All I could find was:

Complimentary Travel Insurance.

Pay for travel with your Platinum Card and you will have access to a range of travel insurance covers, including:

Unlimited Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses Cover which includes Repatriation.

Travel Inconvenience Cover. Things don't always go according to plan. But you'll have cover for certain flight delay, missed connections and luggage delays with your Platinum Card.

Transport Accident Cover. Cover for injuries arising when travelling on most forms of public transport.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Could someone please point me to the relevant terms and conditions re not having to purchase a ticket to get the travel insurance.

All I could find was:

Complimentary Travel Insurance.

Pay for travel with your Platinum Card and you will have access to a range of travel insurance covers, including:

Unlimited Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses Cover which includes Repatriation.

Travel Inconvenience Cover. Things don't always go according to plan. But you'll have cover for certain flight delay, missed connections and luggage delays with your Platinum Card.

Transport Accident Cover. Cover for injuries arising when travelling on most forms of public transport.
Make sure you are talking about the Platinum Charge Card and not the Credit Card for that to apply.

If you wish to send me a PM with your email address then I can send you a copy of the T&C.

I found the terms & conditions for the Travel insurance and it says:

"ACTIVATION OF TRAVEL INSURANCE COVER:
By being an American Express Platinum card member."

On the Amex website, more information for the charge card, under Protection it refers to buying a ticket.

Says card fee is $900 so presume it is the correct page.

I have emailed ACE Insurance to see what they say.

In Alaska at the moment so will also call when I get home later in the week.

On the Amex website, more information for the charge card, under Protection it refers to buying a ticket.

You do need to purchase a ticket with your card in order to activate some of the Protection features - besides the obvious ones (e.g. Purchase Protection Cover) the main one you need to pay attention to is the Loss Damage Waiver Cover for rental cars (you need to actually put the rental on the card)... however the Travel Insurance Cover does not require to purchase the ticket(s) with your card.

See below from page#4 of the T&Cs - for a link to the full T&Cs see my previous post - and by all means to let us know if ACE is telling you another story when you get their reply :shock:

ACTIVATION OF TRAVEL INSURANCE COVER:

By being an American Express Platinum Card member.

ACTIVATION OF PURCHASE PROTECTION COVER:

Purchase of Eligible Items on American Express Platinum Card.

ACTIVATION OF REFUND PROTECTION COVER:

Purchase of Eligible Items on American Express Platinum Card in Australia.

ACTIVATION OF BUYERS ADVANTAGE COVER:

Purchase of Eligible Items on American Express Platinum Card.

ACTIVATION OF LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER COVER:

Cover is effective when You take legal control of the Rental Vehicle and the entirefare is charged to Your American Express Platinum Card.

ACTIVATION OF PLATINUM ASSISTANCE SERVICES

By being an American Express Platinum Card member.

M@arcoPolo....

I agree with you, the T & C indicate that you do not need to purchase the ticket. I am beginning to wonder if Amex have it wrong in that they are giving info for the Platinum Credit Card instead of the charge card.

Will certainly post whatever reply I get.

Thanks...

Received the following email from ACE. Looks as though Amex have the wrong info on their charge card page.......

Thank you for your email.

The cover is automatic regardless on how and where you purchased your Trip. You don’t need to inform us of your travel details nor fill out a form for insurance.

Should you have any queries, or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Warm Regards,

Card Member Services
ACE Insurance Limited
Toll Free 1800 236 023
International +61 2 9335 3492
Fax +61 2 9231 3697

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back