AMEX 17,500 points offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good find.

Can existing Amex credit card holders apply for this premium credit card and still keep existing Amex credit card. I have an Amex Gold credit card.

ksthommo said:
You have an option to cancel your existing Amex card when you apply for the Qantas Card
So I can keep existing Amex Gold card! Great.

They had the same promotion back in May and I successfully applied then.

I also had another Amex Gold Credit Card and they cancelled it when this new one was approved, even though I wasn't told before, and I didn't request it.

I don't mind anyway because I didn't use it much.

So I suggest if you want to keep your other Amex's tell them clearly when you apply for this new one.

mileagemax said:
....I also had another Amex Gold Credit Card and they cancelled it when this new one was approved, even though I wasn't told before, and I didn't request it.

....So I suggest if you want to keep your other Amex's tell them clearly when you apply for this new one.
There is no way I am letting go of the other Amex Gold credit card. It is one of the older deals where no annual fee if spend is >$9,000/pa. Too easy.

I have a Rewards Maximiser and I applied for this one as well. Its been 10 days and I didnt get any response so I called them up today and somehow the application went and sat in a 'No action' bin as the system realised I already had an Amex card and so it did not initiate it.

I was asked if I wanted to cancel my existing card and initiate the issue of this new card upon which I said I wanted both of them and she said this was fine.
Hope they process it before 31st to be eligible for the bonus points

JohnK said:
Good find.

Can existing Amex credit card holders apply for this premium credit card and still keep existing Amex credit card. I have an Amex Gold credit card.

John K, one of the questions on the application form was: Do you already have an American Express card? So I suppose that means they will not consider your application if you have one. I just applied for one - many thanks, dgruber for the link.:)

I have an AMEX via Westapac (along witha VISA Altitude). This is free with my mortgage.

When this offer was last up in July...I took it and have now received the points. This was free for first year.

I also joined my wife under the same deal.

I still have both AMEX's.

On application there is a question about existing AMEXs and whether you wnat to close it.

I said no as it is currently free (and i may wish to go back to it if I cancel the new one after 11 months,,,,)

Just did the same thing today.. got my current goldie... and clicked wanted a seperate card with no cancellation of the current... will buy a flight.. but a choccie and something else cheap and then sit on it for 11 months then cut it and kill it.

i have a free gold cpa, but still stuck my hand up for another free one - not sure why the promotion of this is so passive - seems like a real winner?!?

johnK did your get on board?

Applying tomorrow after transferring points from the Amex Maximiser, will cancel the maximiser during the application and reapply early next year. Should be able to get the first year free offer again?

Do remember however that Maximiser earns @ 1.5 whereas the Qantas Amex earns @ 1.25

So depending on how much you spend...you may wish to keep both....or perhaps to ditch the Maximier closer to its renewal date.

You can always ring and thrreaten to cancel at that time...and if no free renewal offer then cancel. Then try again fora free offer which will no doubt appear sooner or later...

ksthommo said:
Applying tomorrow after transferring points from the Amex Maximiser, will cancel the maximiser during the application and reapply early next year. Should be able to get the first year free offer again?

Nice one. I just applied, and I'll hold onto my Afinity Gold AMEX which has no annual fee. Can anyone confirm, is it ok to cancel this QF AMEX card prior to the next years annual fee?

I would also add that points eran go direct to QFF..

so that is another reason why you might want to keep a current AMEX...if you dot yet want the points to go to QFF.

lovetravellingoz said:
I would also add that points eran go direct to QFF..

so that is another reason why you might want to keep a current AMEX...if you dot yet want the points to go to QFF.

I transfer all my points to Qantas at present, if Velocity come onboard
at a later date will weigh up the options then. My spend on the Maximiser is around 25 to 30g annually, will dip out on around 7,500 points at best guess but will gain the 17,500 sign up etc bonus in addiotion to not paying the annual fee. Maximiser deducts this monthly so the renewal date is no worries. 10,000 points and saving a few bucks on fees has won me other.

Now what to do with the Qantas Club Passess?

Ah...yes monthly payment of the reneawal would be the clincher then.

And if some of your yearly spend is on Qants tickets you will eran some of the 7500 back as you eran an extra point /$ for that.

I just applied then (I only have an existing Corporate Card, so obviously I won't be cancelling that).
I don't really have a need for a CC, but the increased travel insurance and 1.25 points will come in handy...and I'll probably cancel it if I don't end up using it (before 12 months).

The lady (Indian call centre) said that you only get the 10,000pt bonus if you're application gets processed before 31st August, but that sounds like rubbish to me. The page clearly states "Apply by 31 August 2006 and receive...". There's a pretty clear definition of "apply" IMO.

ksthommo said:
Now what to do with the Qantas Club Passess?

eBay? :D

SeatBackForward said:
Nice one. I just applied, and I'll hold onto my Afinity Gold AMEX which has no annual fee. Can anyone confirm, is it ok to cancel this QF AMEX card prior to the next years annual fee?

The lady on the phone said you can cancel at any time without any penalties or cancellation fees.

Cheers,
- Febs.

I also rang them today, and got an Indian person - I asked is the criteria to apply before 31 Aug OR apply before 31 Aug and have the application accepted? He indicated clearly the former - only the submission of the application was required to be recevived on or before 31 Aug. I did ask him again - using diferent words and i got the same answer ????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back