Altitude Black or Earth card - which one do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoby

Currently have Altitude Black - contemplating switching to Westpac Earth to get QF points.

Like most, I'm looking to use points to score some business class upgrades or award tickets - main reason for thinking about switching is that most of our international travel is between Sydney and the USA.

Is it better to scoop up QF points on an Earth card or Altitude Reward points and convert over to a suitable FF program?

Thanks for your suggestions.....

-hoby

There is bugger all availability on QFI .
We go to SIN with SQ out of Perth in J and then SQ Suites to LAX.
with QF out of Sydney you would buy a QF Premium economy ticket and try for a J points upgrade so that would be a wealth hazard.
Going to Singapore out of Sydney is a long cut but if you get a Suites Saver you will forget that.

I think you need at a few issues to determine if you wish to use QF or SQ ( or other ).
It is not just a matter of distance as of course SQ is a longer route. You also need to see what are the departure times for QF vs SQ and the arrival times at your destination. The timetable of one airline may not suite your needs.
Being a QF Silver also means your chances of an upgrade to business may be low and QFi availability is not great as Cove stated. Trying for an upgrade is a risk that you may end up flying premium economy. It may be a safer bet looking at SQ site for award Business or First seats - the number of points needed may be lower than you might think, and this will guarantee a premium flight rather than hoping to get an upgrade.

I love Altitude Black for international travels and Black Earth for domestic runs on QF.

(I realize this is drifting away from the credit card question, but....)
Is it possible to request an upgrade from Econo to Business bypassing Premium econo? (i.e. ensure that you get into either econo or business without getting stuck in premium econo as a consolation prize?

I think you need at a few issues to determine if you wish to use QF or SQ ( or other ).

Being a QF Silver also means your chances of an upgrade to business may be low and QFi availability is not great as Cove stated. Trying for an upgrade is a risk that you may end up flying premium economy.

(I realize this is drifting away from the credit card question, but....)
Is it possible to request an upgrade from Econo to Business bypassing Premium econo? (i.e. ensure that you get into either econo or business without getting stuck in premium econo as a consolation prize?
As far as I know ( I have never upgraded) you can upgrade economy to business, but requires more points then from economy. Others may correct me here.

We have five in premium economy both ways with upgrades lodged. QFI would be unlikely to upgrade two steps unless you are someone quite special.
My wish to have endless QF points is no longer there as QFI availability is no longer there.

We use a number of cards sending points to whichever airline - VA, EY, CX, SQ and QF able to accommodate our flying needs. Despite have 7 figures in my QFF account, QF is never able to meet our needs despite Sydney supposedly being well served.
Have to admit though QStore is far better (for choice, points value all similar) than Westpac (next best), Citi or Amex for toasters.
Altitude Black the only way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back