'Alan Joyce has Qantas stuck in stunt mode' | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

'Alan Joyce has Qantas stuck in stunt mode'

Melburnian1

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Here is the full text of this 'AFR' 18 November 2019 article - there's also some text referring to photos that I can't reproduce, but have placed --- around:

(I had to look up 'parvenu' though).

-----------------------

The latest leg of Qantas’ Project Sunrise publicity orgy touched down at Mascot on Friday, its non-stop “research flight” from Heathrow met with the mania (and hyperbole) of a bona fide Apollo mission.

With the outsized marketing tactics its master franchise is globally famous for, parvenu competitor Virgin Australia had launched its new Brisbane-Haneda service on Thursday. Virgin Group’s Sir Richard Branson threw in his typical spoiler, promising “we’re seriously going to look at” giving Qantas “a run for their money” on the incipient (non-stop) London-Sydney route. Which they're not and never will.

<rest of article redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I would imagine they already have negotiated the aircraft order and the whole thing is just a waiting game now.
I think such an order would need to be disclosed to the ASX under 'continuous disclosure' rules, so I think unlikely to have occurred.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
The fuel is the other issue which exponentially decreases once you start going longer than the useful range .
That's obviously not a concern for Qantas, as they aren't attempting any flights with anything near full load. ;) They are tacking the BIG QUESTIONS such as the menu, and stretching exercises and tracking the alertness of crew travelling under completely artificial conditions (as in, hardly any pax to look after).

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
Again, no journalist on the two QF7879 has made a critical report/analysis of the flights preferring to parrot what QF wants then to say. It is informative that all reports thus far are very similar and mostly devoid of any in-depth critical analysis of the issues surrounding ULH operations.

Changing clocks to destination time upon embarkation is not novel . I and many other passengers practice this all the time. I don’t need a professor to tell me that.

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
An American bloke I met in India was telling me yesterday that Qantas now flies JFK-SYD non-stop and that he was going to book a ticket on it next month. :rolleyes:

Just goes to show how far Qantas' PR stunt has reached, I guess... even if the facts seem to have been blurred along the way.

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Just goes to show how far Qantas' PR stunt has reached, I guess... even if the facts seem to have been blurred along the way.
Actually this is symptomatic of how easily people are manipulated by the media and professional PR folk in general, whether it is fake excitement about “Married at First Sight” or Fox/Trump or Greta/Greens on climate change, there is a lot of manipulation going on.

Ever since being exposed to Rob Sitch etc on Frontline some 25 years ago I always try to question and look behind the “angle” being pushed. It’s not easy to do so, but it’s also scary how easily it is to be manipulated.

Captain Halliday

Established Member
AFF Supporter
An American bloke I met in India was telling me yesterday that Qantas now flies JFK-SYD non-stop and that he was going to book a ticket on it next month. :rolleyes:

Dissatisfied customers do more harm to a brand than satisfied customers do to enhance it.

So while there might be a PR related bounce for QF, I wonder whether your new friend will be annoyed when he finds he can’t book it? Or worse he books his “direct flight” and finds he’s going via DFW or LAX?

• Haha
Reactions: DC3

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Some more news on the Project Sunrise front today.
.... and over on the Project Sunrise thread as well:

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter

pauly7

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Another QF stunt generating media excitement and coverage. They really are stuck in stunt mode.

It seems that not many people actually understand how Marketing works in 2020.

This isn’t a ‘mode’ and it isn’t ‘stuck’ anywhere. This is just business as usual activation and promotions with a great PR team working the media hard to get bang for their buck without paying for it. It’s honestly as simple as that.

SeaWolf

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
"Golden tickets"? Is QF going to put them in random chocolate bars?
When I first saw the ads for this I was certain it was a scam. The wording just mirrors those Facebook sharing scams so closely. Turns out it's legit, or at least, so it would seem.

harvyk

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
When I first saw the ads for this I was certain it was a scam. The wording just mirrors those Facebook sharing scams so closely. Turns out it's legit, or at least, so it would seem.
Qantas are pretty terrible at that, I've received a few dodgy looking emails from them, which I've queried with them (since if it was a scam, perhaps they want to stop it from happening) and they came back and confirmed it was legit.

Perhaps the best one was a "Dear Qantas Frequent Flyer, we need you to confirm your details" email. Ironically that was a legit email (I suspect QF forgot to run backups and lost data as it was happening around one of the times they had recently migrated to a new system)

AFF on Air Podcast

• British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBP73