Add card to Apple Pay before Card arrives?

D.patel

Hello,

I’m able to put down a bond and pay the first month rent for a flat, and they said I can pay by card. I’m thinking of taking out the Amex Explorer for 100k points on $4k spend. I was wondering if I could be able to add the card to my Apple Pay before I got my card?

Additionally, do Amex offer pro-rata refunded annual fee if I cancelled my card half way through the year?

Thanks in advance!

I wanted to do exactly the same a couple of weeks ago (adding a card to Apple Pay before the card arrived). Unfortunately Apple Wallet needs to capture a screenshot of the card and you need to enter the CVV (which you will not have till you receive the physical card).

Last edited:
@D.patel welcome to AFF
I was wondering if I could be able to add the card to my Apple Pay before I got my card?

No
You can manually add a card but you won't have all the required data points without the physical card such as the 4 digit Amex CVV which is only found on the physical card

do Amex offer pro-rata refunded annual fee if I cancelled my card half way through the year?
No

Thanks for the replies! I’ll apply asap and hope for the best with delivery!

Shame they don’t refund the fee but I’ll try to make the most of it!

Can't be done. But if you ask nicely AMEX will express post your card.

Can't be done. But if you ask nicely AMEX will express post your card.

I think I've mentioned this before. When I applied for my card it never turned up - Australia Post had it but weren't delivering it. Called Amex and they got a replacement out to me next day via DHL.

Is that just an Amex thing? WISE has a digital card and you don't need a plastic one. In fact you pay extra for it if you want it.

Security. You will thank yourself later (hopefully you never experience any security issues).
Use your new Amex card in good health. Enjoy!

Replacement cards are also another consideration. In many cases, these automatically update long before the replacement card arrives.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back