Accuring Qantas Ultimate Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvjs

I've just received my Qantas Ultimate AMEX Card but don't have any flights to be booked with QF in the near future. Is there any Qantas service that I can book that will activate the Ultimate flight that isn't a QF flight?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've had the ultimate card for several years now. My experience is that ANY spend on Qantas (Australia) "activates" it. Basically when you call to redeem, AMEX will look through your statement and "spend" on Qantas manually. On my statements, any spend on Qantas (Aus) will display as "Qantas Mascot NSW".

THen again all my spend has been for eithery buying flights, OR paying taxes for redemption. I'm not sure whether spend on anything else (like buying from the store, hotel bookings etc etc) will produce the same thing on your statement. One would assume so, but happy to stand corrected.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that it does NOT include payments with Qantas Holidays (which may incorporate Hotel bookings???)

But I can confirm that a $50 change fee for an existing flight counted as my first QF spend with my Ultimate Card, if that helps (which it probably doesn't in your case :p).

Could you buy a Qantas Gift Voucher? Min cost $50, valid for 12 months ...

I'm not sure which merchant account Flight Carbon offsets post at, but if they're eligible - then they can be less than a dollar on some sectors. (eg SYD-CBR - 66c )

Flying with Us - Before You Travel - Carbon Calculator

Interesting. I just tried this. In theory, you wouldn't actually need to be even taking a flight as it doesn't ask for any flight details. I just forked out a few bucks for one as a sample. Will see when it hits my Amex if it enables my flight (and if it qualifies for my first QF spend for my bonus points; I guess if it allows the points, then the flight would also then be available).

Could you buy a Qantas Gift Voucher? Min cost $50, valid for 12 months ...

Beware with the gift vouchers also. I was given one last year, and attempted to book a sale fare only to find out that the particular fare class I wanted was not available with the voucher (was a MEL-BNE in E class from memory). When you go to use a voucher, it'll re-direct you to 'the booking engine' which is not the full inventory.

Also, the voucher value is only allowed to be spent on a base fare. If you have a fare of say $69 of which $45 is fare and the rest in taxes, you would not be able to book the fare. The base fare must be at least the value of the voucher, for all flights (I believe it's only one way or return, no multi segment permitted) so if a higher value voucher is given, you would need a more expensive fare, or just fly to PER ;)

I purchased some carbon offsets but they appeared on the statement as:
QANTAS AIRWAYS LTD CARBON OFFSET PRGM
and didn't qualify for the bonus points. Does this mean it would likely not 'activate' the flight?

I purchased some carbon offsets but they appeared on the statement as:

and didn't qualify for the bonus points. Does this mean it would likely not 'activate' the flight?

I also did this and yeah, looks like that's not a legitimate loophole. Guess I'll just have to buy a flight.

Give them a call and ask. play dumb and see. The worst they can say is 'no'.

I have some QF flights coming up that I'll need to book so it's a moot point but I did try for shuts n guggles anyway ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back