AAdvantage devaluation coming?

JayTee

Hmm, I'm on the AA website and can only see redemption out of sydney with QR up to 5 April.
I just looked again . There is availability all of may 2022 out of Sydney but in April , it stops when I reach 5 April . Any reason or ways to confirm this ?

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

QF029

I've got about 170k points which I'd love to redeem in J to New York in June next year but seats seem very scarce on aa.com.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
I've got about 170k points which I'd love to redeem in J to New York in June next year but seats seem very scarce on aa.com.

Yeah - to New York it looks like the 'standard' price is now 175K one way... no discounting there. (There are dates with higher prices!)

Searching to LAX only they do have plenty of dates using Fiji Airways via NAN. The connection from SYD/MEL varies between 737 or A350 (SYD only), but the connection on to LAX is on the A350 with the full flat beds. (SFO gets the A330 with angled flat.)

Dunno if you can combine FJ with AA on the one award for domestic connections? Seems you *can* add domestic connections on AA!

BriarFlyer

I just looked again . There is availability all of may 2022 out of Sydney but in April , it stops when I reach 5 April . Any reason or ways to confirm this ?

April school holidays? Always more difficult to get awards into/out of Australia during holiday times. Try confirming availability using another Oneworld program, e.g. BA, JAL, CX. Or search on QF using 1 pax.

JayTee

Does anyone have knowledge on claiming back the US federal excise tax on AA miles ?

I did some research online and came across an article ( US legal tax document) that mentions purchases of miles that will be used for international travel is not subject to this type of tax .

Anyone have or know something to support this. ?

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Solutions
Does anyone have knowledge on claiming back the US federal excise tax on AA miles ?

I did some research online and came across an article ( US legal tax document) that mentions purchases of miles that will be used for international travel is not subject to this type of tax .

I can only see one recent article, not sure if you have seen this: Get A Tax Refund Whenever You Buy Airline Miles And Spend Them On International Travel - View from the Wing

There are potentially some forms you could fill out and send to the IRS. Dunno whether you need a US tax number or social security number to claim the miles, or even how they would refund you.

I don't know if anyone's actually done it... there would have been reports somewhere if this had been the case.

JayTee

I can only see one recent article, not sure if you have seen this: Get A Tax Refund Whenever You Buy Airline Miles And Spend Them On International Travel - View from the Wing

There are potentially some forms you could fill out and send to the IRS. Dunno whether you need a US tax number or social security number to claim the miles, or even how they would refund you.

I don't know if anyone's actually done it... there would have been reports somewhere if this had been the case.
Yep, that’s the same one I saw .

JayTee

It doesn't look like the author has had any success with it, and if anyone was going to, it would be him!

I think it's just one of those things you have to wear.
Yeah , you’re right . You might have to wait 2 years before getting any sort of reply

Danger

Solutions

I wrote to the IRS about five years ago and actually got a snail mail letter back. I largely didn't understand it but the crux was no refund was due. I'm away from home so I can't post the letter, unfortunately.

Mattg

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold

It looks like the AAdvantage award charts have been spared from this round of changes. Thank goodness for that.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..