A couple of questions from an AAdvantage newbie | Page 123 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

A couple of questions from an AAdvantage newbie

FromTheRail

You should receive a partial refund for the difference in taxes. Obviously works the other way also, if the new fights have a higher amount of tax then you'll have to pay the difference
The 3 flight route is through LHR, the other misses out the UK so a lot less taxes

FromTheRail

If you are in transit through the UK you shouldn't have to pay the luxury departure tax anyway. If stopping there you would.
Must just be the extra flight LHR to DUB on BA takes the taxes from 62USD direct on Qatar (checked on another day) to 12something USD not a massive difference, but would rather have it in my pocket.

Must...Fly!

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Must just be the extra flight LHR to DUB on BA takes the taxes from 62USD direct on Qatar (checked on another day) to 12something USD not a massive difference, but would rather have it in my pocket.
AA charge the BA fuel fine/YQ on redemptions, which would account for the difference.

Must...Fly!

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Something else I did not realise was possible. I wanted to change my recently booked business award PVG-xHKG-xBNE-MEL flight to a PVG-xHKG-MEL as availability opened up. Normally I'd have just left it (gladly take an extra J flight for nothing :) ) but the new flights were a much more kind departure time from PVG.

I rang and unfortunately the agent couldn't see the flights I was seeing via aa.com. She advised me to reserve the new flights on hold online, provide the PNR and she could then go on to exchange my current ticket against the new PNR. I was a bit skeptical, but it all seems to have gone through fine. New reservation was ticketed within a couple of hours and I have received confirmation of a refund of about 10USD due to the lower taxes.

Again a relatively painless experience and a good pro-active solution to the agent not being able to see the availability. Hoping anyone in a similar scenario might be able to suggest this as a way around agents being unable to see what you can.

potm

Have had a similar experience. AA phone agents have trouble seeing a lot of QF domestic flights, despite them being on the AA website.

burmans

Flights
My Map
I'm looking to book a flight back from Europe using AA points on Etihad (either J or F). Many of the flights have an overnight layover in Abu Dhabi, will this be eligible for a free hotel from Etihad?

Danger

Getting value with AA miles on AA metal seems to be increasingly difficult, now that dynamic pricing has been introduced. However, I was very pleased to nab Singapore to Doha to Beirut for 40K miles and about USD60. Particularly great is the fact the DOH-BEY sector books into F - but at no additional cost. Yes, it's a two-class sector. However, because it books into F there's Al Safwa lounge access included. Qantas charges that sector as though it is true F (which, to be fair, I probably can't fault them for). But AA doesn't so that made the redemption even better value.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFEP

Currently Active Users