2 cards under the same name - doable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@rcoPolo

I currently have a Signature Card for personal use and an AMEX card that I use only for business expenses... I've decided to cancel my AMEX card but now I'd love to have an additional Signature Card (under my name) on the same account to be able to separate personal and business expenses without having to reconcile line-by-line at the end of the month...

AMEX allows you to have two cards under your name in the same account, so I called Citi and the call centre operator had no clue (what's new??) - do you guys know if this is possible and if yes what's the best way to make it happen?

Tried to do this recently for my wife on my select account and they said it's not possible. Guy at the branch suggested I apply in my wife's maiden name and they picked it up and stopped the issuance of the new card. I haven't tried for a second primary card but it sounded like that wasn't possible either. Interested if anyone can get it done.

do you guys know if this is possible and if yes what's the best way to make it happen?

Okay. So I've asked them about this on the Citibusiness Gold and they seemed a little bit confused but the guy on the phone said they only really check that the intended recipient exists - and as long as they do it should be fine. Given I exist I went ahead with it. Cannot remember if I did this over the phone or via Citibank Online.

Now, I have two cards but upon going to confirm this for you I have realised that on the primary card my name is hyphenated (i.e. Yoz-Yoz Zoz) and on the secondary card it's spaced (i.e. Yoz Yoz Zoz).

If I had to guess the easiest way would be to put it through Citibank Online as it'll probably be handled by some minion who will just do their job and make sure that you are a real person. In a worst case scenario just issue one of the cards with your middle name and I suspect that would be an easy workaround :)

Also keep in mind this was all done on a Citibusiness Gold which may have slightly different rules than a Signature.

OK I will give it a go online using my middle name, will post the outcome!

With Citi we run a his and hers card to get QF points on one and SQ Kris on the other.

With Citi we run a his and hers card to get QF points on one and SQ Kris on the other.

Do you mean you have a card under your name with your wife as supplementary and vice-versa?

Yes we have 2 separate accounts each with multiple cards so we each have a partner card and our sons have an emergency card each.

I currently have a Signature Card for personal use ... I'd love to have an additional Signature Card (under my name) on the same account to be able to separate personal and business expenses without having to reconcile line-by-line at the end of the month...

I wanted to do exactly the same thing, it is not possible.

I applied online for the card in my name, that wasnt a problem.
The card arrived in the mail, i called to activate it and i was told the card was activated.
I used the new card several times with paypass, it worked every time.

I went to make a large purchase on the card so the transaction was made using the chip and the credit card terminal gave an error code to say "merchant retain card" (stolen, cancelled card etc)
I had to pay using a different card.

That night I called citibank to ask them why my card had been cancelled and I was told that it is not permitted to have 2 cards on the same account registered to the same person.
I was told that the card was immediately cancelled as soon as I had called to activate it.

I have actually been meaning to make a thread about this to let other know not to bother trying.

(I am sure the terms and conditions for the signature card do state that it is not to be used for business transactions, so this could be one reason why they do not allow 2 cards on the same account to be in the same name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back