1000 bonus points for direct debit

Status
Not open for further replies.

medhead

Suspended
My statement (EDR master card) arrived with an application for 1000 bonus points if I set up a direct debit arrangement to pay the card by the end of June. It seems to include the option of an on demand arrangement were you ring a number and nominate the amount to be debited.

I have a philosophical objection to direct debits, so not sure I will compromise it for 1000 points.

I think this could be ok to do to avoid a missed payment and interest charges that always work very well for HSBC/Woolworths.

I received the same, also prefer to be more in control, so I'll let it pass.
Personally quite OK with DD's to get over the possibility of non-payment but agree its harder for credit cards where you don't know the amounts and could cause your main account to go into overdrfat territory. Having said that overdraft charges are lower on my cheque account than the CC charges.

Of course you could always setup a DD arrangement, get the points then cancel!

1000 points a on off or monthly bonus?

If a one off, then opt-in, collect the points and cancel the DD.

1000 points a on off or monthly bonus?

If a one off, then opt-in, collect the points and cancel the DD.

I'm assuming its a one off. One option would be the on demand debit that shouldn't transfer money until you ring them to initiate the transfer.

Have the card, but haven't used it for a couple of months (fee waived for the next year). I had a look for the T&C's regarding this offer, but can't find anything to suggest that you have to have transactions to receive the 1000 points. I will register and see what happens I guess.

If it's every month for sure, just set the thing up to DDebit $1 - or am I missing something?

Clearly medhead you have not read the travel mistakes thread!
We are all learning every day and trying hard to not repeat any mistakes.
With Woolworths EDRCC I missed a payment about a year and a half ago and $300 flew out the door to HSBC in fees and charges which are worked right back to the start of the previous month.
I think I must be getting close to seven figures in points earnt since this all started with this wonderful card so the least I could do is avoid another missed payment while I am travelling. That is so easy to do.

I registered but haven't received the points. Still haven't used the card for months though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back