Qantas CU - Platinum Visa

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheInsider

Established Member
Just a new card for those who are interested:

-Earn up to 30,000 bonus Qantas Frequent Flyer points in the first 5 months when you make eligible purchases and receive the card before 31 December 2012[SUP]2[/SUP] -Earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point for every $1 spent on eligible purchases[SUP]1[/SUP]
-Earn 2 Qantas Frequent Flyer points for every $1 spent on Qantas products and services[SUP]3[/SUP]
-Complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership, valued at $82.50[SUP]4[/SUP]
-Complimentary overseas travel insurance[SUP]5[/SUP]
-4.99%p.a. on balance transfers and purchases for your first 5 months[SUP]6[/SUP]
-Annual fee of $195 (waived for the first year)[SUP]7[/SUP]
-Up to 46 days interest free on purchases
-Free additional card holder
-24/7 worldwide Visa Platinum Concierge Service
-Access to Visa Platinum entertainment offers

Visa Platinum Credit Card - Qantas Staff Credit Union

Pretty sure you need to be a member of the credit union or know someone to apply for it. Good deal tho!

Pretty sure you need to be a member of the credit union or know someone to apply for it. Good deal tho!

This does look like pretty good value, anybody see any holes.

I don't know how they determine 50% of your travel.

Apply now

Both Members and non-Members can apply for a credit card using a variety of channels.

Complimentary overseas travel insurance

Receive the benefit of our complimentary overseas travel insurance cover, when you purchase 50% of your travel with your Visa Platinum Credit Card[SUP]5,9[/SUP].
Benefits include:
  • Cover available to travellers of all ages who are an Australian resident
  • Cover is also provided to your partner and dependents travelling with you for 100% of your journey[SUP]9[/SUP]
  • Have access to Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance for medical of up to $500,000[SUP]9[/SUP]
  • Receive Rental Vehicle Excess for hire cars of up to $3,000[SUP]9[/SUP]
  • [SUP][/SUP]
[SUP][SUB]5. Qantas Staff Credit Union Limited (QSCU), the insured, has entered into a Group Policy for overseas travel insurance with Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708 (Allianz), the insurer. AGA Assistance Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 52 097 227 177, AFSL 245631) trading as Allianz Global Assistance is authorised by Allianz to arrange the Group Policy and deal with and settle any claims on its behalf and provides no advice. The benefit of the cover under the Group Policy is extended automatically to QSCU Visa Platinum cardholders where certain eligibility criteria are met (eligible cardholders). Eligible cardholders do not have their own policy or enter into a contract of insurance with Allianz.[/SUB]
[SUB]Subject to certain terms and conditions, they have the right to recover the amount of their loss from Allianz solely by operation of section 48 of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth). QSCU is not the agent of Allianz or the eligible cardholders, does not provide any advice and does not receive any commission in relation to the cover. Refer to the Allianz Global Assistance Travel Insurance Information Booklet for more information, available at www.qantascu.com.au. http://www.qantascu.com.au/credit-cards-visa-platinum-credit-card.html[/SUB]

What will I need to apply?

To apply, simply fill out our application form by clicking 'apply now!' below. If you're not a Member, as part of your application you'll also become a Member. To make it easier, we're also able to verify your ID online too.
For more information on what you'll need to apply, see below.
To become a Member of QSCU you will need to be:

• An Australia Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Over 18 years
  • Registered in the electoral roll or in the telephone book^
What you'll need to have handy:

• Current passport, or
  • Current drivers license (we are able to directly verify licenses online from VIC, WA, ACT, SA and QLD. Licenses held in NSW, TAS and NT can be scanned and uploaded into your online application)
Visa Platinum Credit Card - Qantas Staff Credit Union[/SUP]

Last edited:
Looks ok. I might apply once the Westpac Earth points have posted and I cancel that card. :)
+1 Looks like a good CC similar to the EDR CC. However, getting a stash of VA points with a Virgin CC offers more value for the 6990points and $160 odd Transcon flight in J.

When you sign up you could just check the 'I attended the Avalon Air Show Event' button, and then when one of you are members you can 'nominate' other people on here :)

Last edited:
What is an eligible purchase to get 5000 bonus points each month? Is it just a normal purchase?

I have just gone through the first part which is becoming a member. They do an online ID check using electoral roll, drivers licence and TFN. They then say that they will contact you after 2 working days.

This card is worth it to me just for that travel insurance, the 30000 points are a definite bonus though.

Annual fee of $195 (waived for the first year)[SUP]7[/SUP]

Expensive card to have.

Might grab one for the points and then cancel the card soon after (say, 6 months time?)...

Yeah maybe at some point will try this one, is there a time limit for signing up???

Think i will stay with my ANZ Plat cards for travel insurance... Only need to spend $250 on travel or accommodation before leaving on your trip to activate the travel insurance...

Yeah maybe at some point will try this one, is there a time limit for signing up???

Think i will stay with my ANZ Plat cards for travel insurance... Only need to spend $250 on travel or accommodation before leaving on your trip to activate the travel insurance...

Westpac Gold has a annual fee of $125 and has travel insurance. Actually, l think that almost all Gold/Plat CC's offered by the big 4 have travel insurance.

Yeah, i got the ANZ one after reading a comparison of complimentary credit card travel insurance on i think it was business travellers magazine site... Think ANZ was rated second after the Commbank plat card... And while it cost $240 for the annual fee plus i think a $55 fee for QF rewards, i rang up and asked if i could get the fee reduced and got credited the $240 so i get it for only $55 a year with 1.5 points per $1 with the Amex... So seems to me like a sweet deal...

gonna take a stab on this one see how it goes.

thankfully im in the travel industry so will see what happens.

Would have thought this covers this

What will I need to apply?

To apply, simply fill out our application form by clicking 'apply now!' below. If you're not a Member, as part of your application you'll also become a Member. To make it easier, we're also able to verify your ID online too.
For more information on what you'll need to apply, see below.
To become a Member of QSCU you will need to be:

• An Australia Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Over 18 years
  • Registered in the electoral roll or in the telephone book^
What you'll need to have handy:

• Current passport, or
  • Current drivers license (we are able to directly verify licenses online from VIC, WA, ACT, SA and QLD. Licenses held in NSW, TAS and NT can be scanned and uploaded into your online application)

Yeah, i got the ANZ one after reading a comparison of complimentary credit card travel insurance on i think it was business travellers magazine site... Think ANZ was rated second after the Commbank plat card... And while it cost $240 for the annual fee plus i think a $55 fee for QF rewards, i rang up and asked if i could get the fee reduced and got credited the $240 so i get it for only $55 a year with 1.5 points per $1 with the Amex... So seems to me like a sweet deal...
ANZ Amex is OK but surely ANZ Plat Visa has only a 1:2 earn rate so we are not comparing aples with apples here? 1:1 earn, 30K free points and fee free the first year would make this a fairly attractive Visa. As for Amex each to their own but I feel the direct earn Amex offers much better value.

I've never really done the sums on the direct earn Amex to one through the banks...

The sign up options seem a bit strange, though I work for a government agency and see no connection between the two. I'll give this one some thought as I am after a 1:1 earn card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back