Woolworths Everyday Rewards Qantas credit card, 12500 bonus (exp 30 June 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoch86

I missed out on the bonus 16,000 points that finished at the end of January.

With an $89 annual fee and 1:1 earning ratio, is it still value for money for a bonus 12,500?

Doing my maths that is 0.75c per point

Woolworths Qantas Card

- Gift/petrol type cards seem to redeem at about 0.5c or less
- Y domestic flights seem to redeem at about 1c / point (QF)
- J domestic redeems at about 3-3.5c / point if you hunt for the right ones. (QF)

So it depends on what you intend to redeem for.

The old 16K points freebie worked out at 0.56c / point for the 89$ fee. The current 12.5K free points = 0.71c / point. The 16K points deal then was roughly break-even for gift card type redemption, you'd lose money on the new deal if you want to redeem in this way.

If you intend to redeem for flights though you will win with either deal, albeit only by a little bit if you choose Y, but still, a win is a win and the card is otherwise quite useful as a direct QFF earner without a cap.

Incidently, the EDRCC seems to come with random but frequent offers. At the moment some are enjoying 14-18c/litre off the price of woolies fuel or choosing to convert that saving to QFF points (I don't know the conversion, I think maybe its 7 points / litre??)

Incidently, the EDRCC seems to come with random but frequent offers. At the moment some are enjoying 14-18c/litre off the price of woolies fuel or choosing to convert that saving to QFF points (I don't know the conversion, I think maybe its 7 points / litre??)

From the Woolworths Petrol website,
https://www.everydayrewards.com.au/edr/wps/portal/rewards/fuelreward

It seems as though 1 FF point = 2c/Litre discount regardless of the amount of the discount(e.g. a 16c/Litre discount = 8 FF points/Litre), so unless you burn the points on a JASA it doesn't seem worth it to earn the points rather than the discount.

It seems as though 1 FF point = 2c/Litre discount regardless of the amount of the discount(e.g. a 16c/Litre discount = 8 FF points/Litre), so unless you burn the points on a JASA it doesn't seem worth it to earn the points rather than the discount.

Also consider tax considerations if the discount is reducing business expenses and the points are 'private'.

From the Woolworths Petrol website,
https://www.everydayrewards.com.au/edr/wps/portal/rewards/fuelreward

Yeah, you really have to think about this one. I swapped to points as soon as I got the card, then thought twice and realised I couldn't swap back for a month (IIRC). Have now swapped back to discounts, but on further consideration I'm not likely to redeem my points for Y class flight nor gift cards, so I might swing back the other way again :)

The normal fuel discount I get is the std 4c/litre one. 50 litres is about what I fill with, so 4c / litre = $2saved. If I convert to points I'll get 2 pts / lite = 100 points and if I intend to redeem J flights or other high rate redemptions at say 3c / point then that = $3

Pretty small potatoes I guess, but the message is that for the right redemption I might reap about 30% better value from the points.

This is the single biggest lesson that the folks here at AFF have taught me since I joined. The most important thing is to first work out what redemptions you are likely to make. If you go exclusively for award J seats at 3c/point then even credit card surcharges of 1.5-1.8% are worth copping to get at the points.

so unless you burn the points on a JASA it doesn't seem worth it to earn the points rather than the discount.

It does if the car you filling up is on a novated lease and therefore the saving is only 60% of the quoted c/L saving (as the fuel is paid for pre-tax) :)

I always go for points and let Julia pay for half the car!

I always go for points too, but as a self-funded person (no bene's from Mark Arbib), it still makes sense to me.

Think about this. Go fo a fuel discount, and what's the maximum you can save? Not a lot, really.

Go for points and it can soon tally up to something quite substantial. I use most of my QF points for one-ways from SE Asia to CBR during the school holidays. Tell me that's not good value (have you priced the fares on Qantas?).

I had to check on the fine print on this one. 12,500 points on offer at the time I applied in April. (16,000 before and after of course)

Woolies pretty much sticking to their guns on it. Nothing wrong with that, just noting that at least I tried.

Alby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back