Woeful Amex Velocity Platinum - Free Flight Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointwilliams

Hi gang - Spent an hour on the phone yesterday "booking" my free flight (35 days out) from Mackay to Sydney Return. Went to the Amex Travel site, looked at the cities map and the flight was definitely available (see attached screenshots). Rang Amex rep who then says NO those flights are not available, not part of the approved routes. Obviously we went backwards and forwards, even suggested he look online himself, which he did. Then he tells me the website is mistaken and "hasn't updated". I politely said that was not my problem and it clearly advertises the flights and cities are available, so could he please go ahead and book them. He says a Team Leader will call me back within 24hrs - and you guessed it - it's been 24hrs and no call back. This is the second time this has happened to me in the past 3 years - CARD NOW CANCELLED - just rubbish.

Anyone else experienced this kind of problem with the free flight (and Amex in general)?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 2.09.03 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 2.09.03 pm.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 308
  • Screen Shot- 2017-02-16 at 2.08.46 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot- 2017-02-16 at 2.08.46 pm.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 287
That sort of response from AMEX is unusual. In my experience they're very helpful, and responsive. Call them back, and escalate the call to the supervisor. I'm not sure if the FOS has the power to investigate a dispute such as this - but tell them you're investigating your options?

He did say it was escalated and out of his hands, and that the supervisor/team leader would call me back. I did tell him it was urgent as I had to book the flights for a particular event and for a particular person and needed an urgent response. Even when cancelling this morning, the guy didn't seem interested in keeping me as a customer, apart from "we are really sorry for the experience".

Never had any issues with my bookings and they were always very helpful to me.

I have been redeeming these flights for years on various Amex Cards. I have always found it smooth and efficient. Particular for the Edge flights where you can book 2 flights for 2 people using 2 years of flights by booking in the fortnight window of when the card membership year is (this is not allowed on the Velocity Amex).

Booking these flights 35 days out may also have been the problem as the bucket they redeem from may have been used up. So when they said the route was not available it may be really that it it just did not show up as there was no availability rather than the route not being actually available.

""I politely said that was not my problem and it clearly advertises the flights and cities are available""

However on the route map you posted it does state on the bottom left:

* Correct at 27 January 2016. Routes are indicative only and not all destinations are available from all departure points. Subject to change without notice. To confirm availability and to book please call American Express Travel and Lifestyle Services

Last edited:
Agreed, I haven't had an issue booking the 2 year back to back flights with a 14 day advance on the tickets I wanted. The staff member was extremely friendly and helpful.

I've normally found AMEX customer service to be exceptional - quite at odds with your experience which is clearly woeful. I'd be writing them a formal complaint, because that kind of thing really isn't on.

I have very good experience with the redemption flight on my edge and reserve card

I have had a flight refused for the edge, but only because I was asking for something I knew was not possible i just thought I would "try" since amex in the past have been somewhat fexible. I tried to book a return flight HTI-BNE-HTI which is not allowed even though BNE-HTI-BNE is. Otherwise my experience with Amex has been great. In your account you can use the message system to contact Amex, responses this way are generally very quick

We havent had any problems booking the flights we want to redeem with Amex, but then again we always book several months ahead.
I did try and go in and have a look at the map of available cities just now and I just get a bad request error. Dont know if they are updating or just a problem.

Always found it simple and efficient. Your experience must be and luck or some other issue (operator inexperience etc). Good luck booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back