Which free AMEX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaurus

So I'm currently tossing up between the following two Amex's with first year free, and would appreciate any opinions on my choice:

1) Qantas AMEX Discovery
12,500 qff pts for $300 spend
2500 qff pts for first spend qantas products and service
$0 annual fee ongoing
1 qff pts per $1 spend
+ 1 qff on qantas

OR

2) Amex platinum rewards
10000 MR pts with $550 spend
2 MR pts at supermarkets and petrol

Note:
- QFF preference
- I currently hold a velocity discovery AMEX, but am hopeful of still acquiring the sign up bonus as other AFF mbrs have.
- Likely spend ~$5000yr on supermarkets/fuel
- I'm likely to use referral links from this forum
- Can I then refer a friend/spouse from either of these? If so how?
- Are the above promo points levels I mention only with aff links or are they publicly available?

Cheers,
James

Ditto to the above, I would go with highest free ANZ one your income allows.

Otherwise it's up to you depending if you want Qantas points or Amex MR points (which can be transferred to other rewards programs, but not Qantas).

If you decide to apply, please do use a link from the referrals page and reward a lucky colleague from AFF.

Got the ANZ already ;) thanks for the reply though- if I do get either of these Amex can I then refer someone else?

Got the ANZ already ;) thanks for the reply though- if I do get either of these Amex can I then refer someone else?

Yeah, you can refer people at any time I'm pretty sure.

I believe so, yes, though I only hold a QF Premium and not the VA or other level cards, so do not know if the referrals program is identical.

With the discover you can only refer people for Qantas branded Amex's. You get 10k point for each referral regardless of which three Qantas card you referee takes.

I assume the same restriction applied to platinum rewards cards as well. I don't personally hold the latter so can't confirm that.

With the discover you can only refer people for Qantas branded Amex's. You get 10k point for each referral regardless of which three Qantas card you referee takes.

I assume the same restriction applied to platinum rewards cards as well. I don't personally hold the latter so can't confirm that.

You raise a good point there. According to: https://www316.americanexpress.com/...87715723485_plid__kword_amex referral_match_e
If i was to sign Mrs Jamesaurus up for Qantas AMEX Discovery = 10k QFF pts vs 5k MR pts for Amex platinum rewards card.

Also thank you for Excel for pointing out AMEX MR cannot be used for QFF pts.

Im certainly leaning in the direction of Qantas Discovery at present. Would anyone have any thoughts on easiest way for "
first spend qantas products and service" if I have no current QF travel plans? I was thinking just buying a Qantas flight voucher for future use.

You raise a good point there. According to: https://www316.americanexpress.com/...87715723485_plid__kword_amex referral_match_e
If i was to sign Mrs Jamesaurus up for Qantas AMEX Discovery = 10k QFF pts vs 5k MR pts for Amex platinum rewards card.

Also thank you for Excel for pointing out AMEX MR cannot be used for QFF pts.

Im certainly leaning in the direction of Qantas Discovery at present. Would anyone have any thoughts on easiest way for "
first spend qantas products and service" if I have no current QF travel plans? I was thinking just buying a Qantas flight voucher for future use.

I think vouchers as you have suggested. Other options include the cash portion of a QF ex Australia redemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back