Which Amex to get in Canada? (Cobalt vs. Bonvoy)

Revenge

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
I am moving over to Canada for work for about 6 months.

I want to apply for an Amex over there (thinking of using the international transfer feature that Amex offers, it worked well for me when I moved to the UK years ago).

I am trying to decide which Amex to apply for and the 2 main contenders seem to be the Cobalt (American Express Cobalt® Card | Amex CA) and the Marriott Bonvoy (Marriott Bonvoy Card | Marriott Bonvoy | Amex Canada).

The things that appeal to me about the Cobalt card are:
  • MR points transferrable 1:1 to AC Aeroplan and Avios, which would give me good redemption options for Star Alliance and OneWorld, including flights back home in Australia.
  • Transfer rate of 5:6 from Amex MR to Bonvoy, gives me flexibility to transfer from Bonvoy to other airline partners (broad list).
  • Great earning rate of 5 points per $ on food (restaurants, supermarkets, cafes, etc.) I eat and drink out a lot so this could really add up!
The things that appeal to me about the Bonvoy card are:
  • Marriott is my main hotel chain so the bonus 15 nights for status qualification would really help with my status and getting perks during my stays.
  • The free Marriott stay is helpful - hotels in the US and Canada are expensive these days!
  • General earn rate of 2 Bonvoy points per $ seems decent.
I'm hoping to get some guidance from the points geniuses on this site. What would you do?

TIA for your insights!

Last edited:
Just as an update to this, I decided to go with the Cobalt. I'm excited as I think this is a really good product.

Earning up to 5 MR points per 1CAD will be great. The MR transfer options in Canada also have good ratios.

1 MR =
  • 1 AC Aeroplan
  • 1 BA avios
  • 0.75 KLM FlyingBlue
  • 0.75 CX AsiaMiles
  • 0.75 DL SkyMiles
  • 0.75 Ethihad
  • 1.2 Marriott Bonvoy
  • 1 Hilton Honors

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back