When offered retention points, TAKE IT IMMEDIATELY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mini2

Established Member
Long story short, I've inquired about how much points can they offer if I continue my membership, offered 36k, didn't accept the offer on the spot and asked the operator to make a note on my file this was offered. Fast forward a couple of months after renewal, called up and ask for the points to be credited, pleb can't find any notes and couldn't retrieve any call recordings whatsoever and said tough luck.

Escalated to the exec customer relations, same stance, can't locate the call/notes and any points on offer either accept immediately or there's no deferral. However, they've given me part of the points to shut me up. They said if you don't like the outcome, go to FOS now which is exactly what I'll be doing :evil:

I'll post a snippet of the letter shortly.

Given that they were under no obligation to offer you the points in the first place, they certainly were under no obligation to keep the offer open until you'd made up your mind about it.

So yes, accept them immediately if offered. But escalating this and making complaints about something you were never entitled to in the first place seems a little OTT.

Given that they were under no obligation to offer you the points in the first place, they certainly were under no obligation to keep the offer open until you'd made up your mind about it.

I've asked for it, they offered x, I asked if it's ok to think about it and they said yes. I'm only chasing it up on this basis and I would've let it go if they said it's either take it now or never which would've been my fault.

That aside, I'm only posting to warn others not to do the same thing as I did.

Long story short, I've inquired about how much points can they offer if I continue my membership, offered 36k, didn't accept the offer on the spot and asked the operator to make a note on my file this was offered. Fast forward a couple of months after renewal, called up and ask for the points to be credited, pleb can't find any notes and couldn't retrieve any call recordings whatsoever and said tough luck.

Escalated to the exec customer relations, same stance, can't locate the call/notes and any points on offer either accept immediately or there's no deferral. However, they've given me part of the points to shut me up. They said if you don't like the outcome, go to FOS now which is exactly what I'll be doing :evil:

I'll post a snippet of the letter shortly.

Hadn't heard of "retention points" before thanks for sharing

Last edited:
If you said you wantedto think about it, I doubt they would keep the offer open a couple of months for you to do that. Perhaps a day or two, but a couple of months? I'm surprised that you expectt the offer to still apply after a few months,

I agree take them at the time or wait till next year.

I would personally disagree, but I am likely to be in the same situation as mini2, offered points to keep the card and I haven't called back yet so the bias is real.

The way it was worded to me was "we will offer you x of points to keep the card". In my mind that means should I keep the card, I have accepted their offer for x amount of points in return for not cancelling. Anyway, will see how I go... as I don't actually need the card, not afraid to cancel it.

Why not just say yes, get the points, and then cancel next month once the points have gone through? Why do you need to think about it so much?

Why not just say yes, get the points, and then cancel next month once the points have gone through? Why do you need to think about it so much?

Well because if I say I will keep the card in exchange for points I follow through. I wouldn't say yes just to get extra points knowing full well I will cancel after they post. It just isn't something I would do. I accept everyone is different.

As for waiting so long to get back to them who knows. Everytime I remembered I probably wasn't able go call them at that time. Got other things going on, it wasn't a deliberate plan.

Well because if I say I will keep the card in exchange for points I follow through. I wouldn't say yes just to get extra points knowing full well I will cancel after they post.

And see what your honesty got you :)

Did you still have to pay the annual fee in order to get the points? Which product was this for?

And see what your honesty got you :)

I thought it would get me into a long argument with AMEX ;) - but Lady Luck was on my side as they agreed they offered the points to me and will arrange for them to be awarded to my account. So that was easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back