What's up with Amex referral offers/system?

freqflyer77

I've noticed a worsening trend where the Amex referral offers I can generate off a Platinum card are usually no better (and occasionally worse) than the 'general offers' on their own website or those offered to partners.

This is highlighted with the fact that Amex has just given all its 'partner' sites like Point Hacks/AFF, FlightHacks, Champagne Mile etc a new 100k Velocity Amex offer to plaster al over their main pages for their own cash kickbacks.

Wanting to refer a family member I check my own account and I can only generate a 60k referral offer on the same card - seems pretty unfair!?!

Makes it VERY hard to actually refer or recommend a card to family/friends when my offers are rubbish. The 'personal' referral bonus point kickbacks always incentivised me to keep the card beyond that initial sign up bonus.

Anyone else feel this way?

I've noticed this too, but I'm not sure it's a "worsening trend". Over the years I've been ready to send a referral link to various family, friends and work colleagues, only to notice that there's a better sign-up offer available to them from a third party site such as Point Hacks.

So in all good conscience I haven't been able to use the referral link but I've pointed them to the better sign-up offer instead.

It's frustrating, but nothing new.

I've noticed this too, but I'm not sure it's a "worsening trend". Over the years I've been ready to send a referral link to various family, friends and work colleagues, only to notice that there's a better sign-up offer available to them from a third party site such as Point Hacks.

So in all good conscience I haven't been able to use the referral link but I've pointed them to the better sign-up offer instead.

It's frustrating, but nothing new.
It used to be that the referral offer was the same as the public offer, but the referrer would get bonus points on top.

Looks like the current Qantas Ultimate card is bucking this trend - I've been offered 40,000 QFF points (and the person applying 100,000 QFF points) with their current offer.

My partner took up the offer the other day, and the bonus points have already landed, ready to go on the next transfer,

I've currently got an offer in excess of the website etc for the platinum charge - amex 200K - my referral 275K - haven't had the card for too long but this is the first time I've had one well above the amex website. (80K for me instead of the usual 75K as well)

Back