What credit card do you use as a sidekick to your AMEX?

andytheturtle

Intern
Qantas
Platinum
Star Alliance
Gold
Hello AMEX fam,

As titled, what's your backup credit card for when your AMEX isn't accepted?

I'm tired of relying on my debit card and missing out on the rewards points.

Looking for a reasonable reward CC to go along with AMEX card!

Thanks!

CBA Ultimate - for both merchants that don't take Amex (the earn rate is cough, but these are usually small purchases) and foreign transactions (1.2 QFF per dollar, no forex fees)

For local purchases my main credit card is Qantas Amex Ultimate (basically free as the annual fee is given back as a Qantas travel voucher), my second card is a Visa (currently ANZ Black) and my 3rd is a Mastercard (Westpac). I choose to earn Qantas points on all of them rather than issuer points but that preference varies per individual.

My Mastercard is free with my mortgage, it has been the back up card whilst I typically churn the visa annually - but as my mortgage is now paid off, thinking of churning that one too. Typically sign-on bonuses better with Visa are better than Mastercard.

For Visa I typically churn NAB --> ANZ --> SGB rinse and repeat but open to others depending on the cost, sign-on bonus and earn rate.

Currently Amex 1.25 points (or more depending on spend type) per $; Visa 1 point per $ (uncapped), Mastercard .75 points per $.

For international spend I try to pre-pay in AUD for big items i.e. tours or hotels, then usually opt for a fee free debit card (Citibank, Macquarie Bank) for the small items whilst overseas.

Last edited:
CBA Ultimate - for both merchants that don't take Amex (the earn rate is cough, but these are usually small purchases) and foreign transactions (1.2 QFF per dollar, no forex fees)
Agreed they are usually smaller purchase, which also means that I'd unlikely reach the (soon) $4000/month requirement to avoid the annual fees. So I'd consider this card with a $420 annual feeds + $60 (if earning Qantas).

No forex fees is good though. The NAB/Westpac/ANZ/Qantas cards I looked at all had forex fees. I do find that AMEX is far less widely accepted outside of AUS, at least where I have visited.

My main credit card is Amex, my second card is a Visa (currently ANZ) and my 3rd is a Mastercard (Westpac). I choose to earn Qantas points on all of them.

My Mastercard is free with my mortgage, it has been the back up card whilst I typically churn the visa annually - but as my mortgage is now paid off, thinking of churning that one too. Typically sign-on bonuses better with Visa card.

For Visa I typically go NAB --> ANZ --> SGB --> NAB.

Amex 1.25 points or more per $; Visa 1 point per $, Mastercard .75 points per $.
Sounds like you are more focusing on the sign on bonuses, and less on the ongoing reward rates? or both?

Sounds like you are more focusing on the sign on bonuses, and less on the ongoing reward rates? or both?

Both

Amex has good ongoing earn and lots of bonus points opportunities throughout the year - I keep this card so only got the sign-off bonus once but there are opportunities to earn referral bonuses (sometime up to 60k points).

Visa I look for sign-on bonus but generally keep for 11 months so if there are multiple cards Im eligible for with similar sign-on bonus I will always take the one with the higher points earn.

Mastercard havent bothered churing but will once I get my next job.

If you have trouble being approved i,e, you are retired then key is to pick right combo of cards based on points earn before you retire. If still of working age then the sign-on bonuses can compensate for lower ongoing points earn provided you dont keep the card too long.

Both

Amex has good ongoing earn and lots of bonus points opportunities throughout the year - I keep this card so only got the sign-off bonus once but there are opportunities to earn referral bonuses (sometime up to 60k points).

Visa I look for sign-on bonus but generally keep for 11 months so if there are multiple cards Im eligible for with similar sign-on bonus I will always take the one with the higher points earn.

Mastercard havent bothered churing but will once I get my next job.

If you have trouble being approved i,e, you are retired then key is to pick right combo of cards based on points earn before you retire. If still of working age then the sign-on bonuses can compensate for lower ongoing points earn provided you dont keep the card too long.
I am a loooong way away from retiring 😅

I looked at many of the Travel-orientated CC, and often think that a lot of the fees are wasted on lounges passes, be it Qantas Club or PP, which aren't necessary for most AMEX holders/Airlines status holders.

I just use a Westpac Platinum MasterCard (which I pay the annual fee for as I don't have a mortgage). Two of my three Amex cards have no annual fee; two earn Velocity points direct (same as the MasterCard).

I just use a Westpac Platinum MasterCard (which I pay the annual fee for as I don't have a mortgage). Two of my three Amex cards have no annual fee; two earn Velocity points direct (same as the MasterCard).
what made you pick Platinum over Blank? the annual fees?

The recent promo is $12k spend for 120k or 150k points ... feels a bit steep
Just checked it out. $12,000 over 12 months. Let's say it's $1000/month. Again, not sure if I spend close to that a month on non-AMEX card. Maybe?

ANZ Traveller for Insurance
Current (soon to be cancelled) Stg Amplify for 0.825/$ as I move more of my spend to US based cards.

Had the Stg Amplify since 2019 so it's my visa/mc supplement, it had a decent sign up bonus a few years back but these days I don't think they're worth it as some of you have mentioned above.

Although I do have Amplify as part of my mortgage I don't know if it's worth keeping. Might consolidate and clean up my credit cards in Australia.

Last edited:
I only apply for black Visa/Mastercards the lower cards have poor sign-on bonuses and poor earn rates.

NAB VISA Signature 1:1 QF pts capped at $5k pm. Free with some packages but otherwise an annual fee.

If you collect Flybuys, get a Coles MC that you can use overseas fee free (and still get some points - most other international fee free cards don’t give any points). I regret not getting one years ago and before semi-retiring…

NAB VISA Signature 1:1 QF pts capped at $5k pm. Free with some packages but otherwise an annual fee.

If you collect Flybuys, get a Coles MC that you can use overseas fee free (and still get some points - most other international fee free cards don’t give any points). I regret not getting one years ago and before semi-retiring…
How does the conversion look on that?

Back