Westfield XS card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newk

Established Member
I'll start this thread and see how it goes. Discussion of the XS card began in the "ATO payment by credit card" thread as use of the XS card seemed to be a way to pay tax (sort of) by Amex and diminish the fees involved. The discussion has evolved to potential other ways to use the XS card. So maybe we can carry over that conversation and expand upon it here..

I think that as with many topics discussed on AFF everyone values points and their time differently. So what is discussed here may not be worth anything to some readers. Read and decide for yourself.

As well as value though is the fun and intellectual challenge. As an example I love that mhen recently documented the various convoluted pathways that points could be spun away from Diners. Many of these paths may never be used. But I feel better that they have been documented.

Short summary so far:

Westfield XS cards can be bought from Westfield centres and on-line. There is a $4.95 fee per card, no matter what the valuation. They max out at $995. They can be bought with credit cards including Amex but so far as I know not Diners. The cards are not to be confused with Westfield gift cards which are a totally different proposition.

The XS card is accepted by Australia Post for payment of bills including ATO and credit card bills with PO bar code. This has been documented elsewhere. Hint: take the instructions that come with the card. You may find some lack of knowledge at the PO. Show them the instructions. Tell them that the transfer comes from a nominal "savings" account...one of the EFTPOS choices. It DOES work for these two things

I believe that as well as the PO these cards can be used anywhere that Eftpos is accepted. Banks anyone??

The known unknowns:

1) can credit cards be paid without the bar code on the credit card bill?...note for Amex and possibly Diners you need the posted account to be able to use the bar code. What we need to know is can these and other cards be paid without the bar code. I note that there is a hint of a possibility of this in the "Bank@Post" agency banking slip that I picked up yesterday. It has a tick box account identification line. Included are cheque, savings and credit boxes. And a space for card number further down.

2) what credit card fees are there for this? Diners yesterday charged me $1.55 for a $400 payment. The post office charged me nothing by the way

3) can these cards be used to make deposits to saving and cheque accounts? See note about the deposit slip under 1) above. So I suspect the answer is yes. So: what fees, if any are involved?

4) does the value proposition change when the cards are bought in bulk on-line? Does the delivery fee outweigh the lower fee. xsiq was thinking about looking into this

5) insert your imagination here. the unkown unkowns. We need to discuss other potential uses. One suggestion has been to use XS to avoid fees anywhere that charges Amex/Diners surcharges

the way I see it these cards can be used for many interesting things that I'll leave to your imagination. (Note I edited this bit so that you need to use your own imagination.)

Last edited:
Just a tip. Airlines, Banks, Credit card companies etc do read these forums looking for loopholes (and sometimes to improve their products).

Just a tip. Airlines, Banks, Credit card companies etc do read these forums looking for loopholes (and sometimes to improve their products).

I totally hear you

Yes, it's very hard. The knowledge is for sharing. I wouldn't know if people hadn't shared with me. It's just like the pay ATO thread. Every now and then someone tries to quieten it down. But the interest keeps bumping it up. What to do?
if people don't want this knowledge to spread, let the thread drop :). Don't post to it. LOL I won't post again until someone else does
In any case I would HOPE that people would use some discretion with everything they learned here, so as not to bust the system?

At the moment there SEEM to be no losers. We pay a fee and Westfield makes money. They pay a fee to the cc company. Hopefully this covers any points awarded. The Post office gets increased traffic and some fees.

Interesting with one minor issue... the need to interact with Australia Post.
It looks very similar to all the Gift Cards out there, except it can be used anywhere.

What do you mean Diners charged you a fee?

It looks very similar to all the Gift Cards out there, except it can be used anywhere.

22-Jan-2013OVER-THE-COUNTER TRANSACTION FEE$ 1.55DC4393
22-Jan-2013CASH PAYMENT AT AUST POST$ -400.00DC5002

and the need to interact with Australia Post can apparently be made more pleasant at some sites that have customer driven eftpos payment machines. See report in the ATO payments thread. I want to know if there are any in SA to try

and you are right. I have edited out some of the gory details best left to people's imaginations. :)

The problem is that financial institutions have thought of this before and have blocked payment via eftpos at post.

Well Newk's example hasn't, and there might be more.
Can't see why they would block payments from what appears to be a 'Savings' account based on the instructions.

Can't be used everywhere EFTPOS is accepted. I think I've tried Coles and Bunnings in the past and they didn't work.

Can't be used everywhere EFTPOS is accepted. I think I've tried Coles and Bunnings in the past and they didn't work.

IIRC Coles do not accept prepaid credit cards. Woolies also had a spit against visa debit but I think that is resolved now.

Well it was good in theory, but unfortunately doesn't work. (At least not anymore)

Bought some the other day, transaction is in my Amex account, but there ain't no points. Zilch:(

Seems like American Express at least have cut it off. I'm sure the banks will be onto it by the end of the month as well, so in my opinion not worth trying with my other cards as they only post points at the end of the monthly CCard cycle.

Well it was good in theory, but unfortunately doesn't work. (At least not anymore)

Bought some the other day, transaction is in my Amex account, but there ain't no points. Zilch:(

Seems like American Express at least have cut it off. I'm sure the banks will be onto it by the end of the month as well, so in my opinion not worth trying with my other cards as they only post points at the end of the monthly CCard cycle.

Suggest you need to ring Amex and ask for the points or the exact clause in the T&C that says "no points".

Thanks everyone

more and more interesting. My purchase on my Qantas ultimate card was classed as entertainment expenses and was awarded 1.5 points per dollar thus:

(I accept that things might have changed in the meantime and/or be different for different cards maybe. I need some time for some more trials)

22/01/2013
WESTFIELD WEST LAKES
$1,101.90

So it may not work on AMEX OWNED CCs, but it can/could work on bank/store issued cc's.

Only 2 thinks that need to be checked / updated on:

1) Classed as a cash advance, Yes or No? (name/shame any that are cash advance on here)

2) Every month when the statement(s) (ie: more then 1 card used), are the total points equal to the total spent?

ie: spend $900 on gift card, plus $1,265.67 on bills and shopping. will it = the points per $ ratio. (0.5/1/1.5/3 points for major supermarket's etc....)

If the final answers and outcome to the two questions are good, we are on a roll ;)

I fear saying too much about these things because stuff does get shut down - I miss the days of being able to literally get free money with points.

The XS card operates as a 'savings' card on EFTPOS, others on the market are use Visa/MC networks. This can affects where you can use the product. The card issuers (in this case Westfield) can set limits on which merchants or type of merchants you can use their products at, additionally merchants can limit acceptance of cards e.g. the XS card until recently did not work at Target, Woolworths etc. finally they can also limit how you can use the card, generally transactions classed as cash advances are not going to work. Bill payments are usually cash advances.

A lot of the branded gift cards are produced by the same companies, in turn underneath are run on a small number of platforms - there's a 3rd tier down there. There are a lot of tricks that can be pulled off using them, but for the love of god please keep them discreet. To reiterate my first line, at one point I was buying money at a profit with significant points through multiple sources mostly at Woolworths. They are also useful for general purchases and the hint is discounts can be stacked, sort of like the US coupon system. For instance last month getting a few iPad mini's for <$300 once including the TRS discount.

The simplest thing you can do, which I doubt would ever get shut down, is start using the XS card at merchants that always charge CC fees or specifically Amex fees.

I agree with you, these things are always a delicate balancing act of sharing the love with the community, and keeping it on the down low, so it doesn't get shut down.

In the past I have found that being a little crypic and sending some PMs can achieve the "best of both worlds". Quite a few AFFers are intelligent, so a cryptic clue or quick PM is all they need.

penegal is conducting some additional "research" as we speak :p :p

Agreed. If you arent that cluey to work out how this works dont ask about it. SHHHHHHHHHH

This is where I think that the private forum idea that came up a couple of months ago would be of value... in saying that, now that we've established that these transactions earn no points to begin with, there really isn't much point in paying the account with gift cards now is there... :) Topic concluded?

Thanks everyone

more and more interesting. My purchase on my Qantas ultimate card was classed as entertainment expenses and was awarded 1.5 points per dollar thus:

(I accept that things might have changed in the meantime and/or be different for different cards maybe. I need some time for some more trials)

22/01/2013WESTFIELD WEST LAKES$1,101.901,6531,653.

thought max was $995 + $4.95. so how come the charge was $1,101.90?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back