Vodafone to increase AMEX fee to 2.15% + GST from 1/7/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

TtiGeR

Intern
I setup DD with Vodafone recently for the 1K bonus promo. The CC processing fee was 1.1% same as Visa / MasterCard.

Received a surprising SMS from AUVODA just now with the following:

From Vodafone: Important notice about changes to AMEX payment process fee effective 01 July 2012. If you choose to pay your bill with an AMEX credit card, a charge of 2.15% + GST of total bill amount will apply

Guess it's the time to change provider...

Yep. I use Telstra pre-paid, they accept almost any form of payment including Amex and Diners, no surcharge.

Their site is still showing the fee as 1% + GST (1.1%). This is on their info pages, 'Direct Debit' and 'Pay by credit card' pages... let's hope they forget to actually change it or that they've changed their minds! Haha

You can do it with any of the prepaid services by buying the vouchers at Coles or Woolworths (it's very quick if you use the self-service machines to do it). If you have an AMEX card that gives you 3 points per dollar on supermarkets then you're getting 3 points per dollar on your phone bill.

and here was me thinking the reduction in Amex earn rates for utillities might result in the Amex surcharges disappearing

You can do it with any of the prepaid services by buying the vouchers at Coles or Woolworths (it's very quick if you use the self-service machines to do it). If you have an AMEX card that gives you 3 points per dollar on supermarkets then you're getting 3 points per dollar on your phone bill.

How do you pay your phone bill with prepaid voucher? Vodafone online payment doesn't not have that option or maybe I misunderstand your point?

Just got the SMS saying the change will occur July 25th, including a link to a website that still has the old fee structure. Muppets.

Just got the SMS saying the change will occur July 25th, including a link to a website that still has the old fee structure. Muppets.
The first link has the new fee, while the second link has the old fee... Interesting that the new fee is higher than Diners (and also higher than Optus and Telstra). Also interesting is the reasoning they provide:

The surcharge of 1% of the payment value (plus GST) only partially absorbed our cost to process these payments. The increase to 2.15% of the payment value (plus GST) will cover the full charge incurred by us to process payments made by American Express.

Perhaps they were following the "no differential surcharge" rule while they were an MR partner, and have now decide otherwise... Saying that, I'm tempted to over-pay my account before the change to avoid the fee increase (for a few months anyway)!

How do you pay your phone bill with prepaid voucher? Vodafone online payment doesn't not have that option or maybe I misunderstand your point?
Sorry, I meant if you had a prepaid service, rather than a postpaid contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back