Velocity Reward - Harry vs Harrison on ticket

HarryG

Newbie
Joined
Oct 2, 2026
Posts
1
Hi all, hoping someone here has experience with Qatar flights booked using Velocity Reward Seats.

My wife and I fly BNE–DOH–FCO on 11th Oct, returning CDG–DOH–BNE on 22/23 Oct. It's a trip we've saved cash and points for to celebrate my 30th birthday & my wife's parents are travelling interstate to look after our two young kids while we're away.

I've only just realised my tickets say HARRY while my passport/legal name is HARRISON. Harry is simply the name I've always gone by and was what my Velocity account was under when I booked. Same surname, DOB and passenger.

I completely accept this was my mistake and I should have noticed it earlier.

Velocity has now changed my account to Harrison, with Harry as my preferred name. Between my wife and me, we've now spoken to Velocity and Qatar multiple times, including a Velocity supervisor. My wife was pretty distressed on the phone today because we're both getting quite anxious about potentially losing the trip.

Velocity says they cannot correct the name on the existing Qatar Reward ticket – their only option is cancellation/rebooking. Qatar says because Velocity issued it, Velocity needs to make the change.

Cancellation isn't really an option. There isn't Reward availability to recreate our itinerary – Velocity couldn't get me home until 1st Nov, versus our current 22/23 Oct return.

Both Velocity & Qatar have now told my wife they've added notes to the booking explaining the Harry/Harrison situation.

I've also found Qatar's published policy specifically describes changing a first name from a nickname to a given name as a name correction, but so far neither side has been able to action it.

We're obviously pretty worried about getting to BNE Airport and being denied boarding over Harry vs Harrison after everything that's gone into this trip.

Has anyone had first-hand experience with:

  • A nickname --> legal first-name discrepancy on a Velocity-issued Qatar Reward ticket?
  • Qatar staff being able to correct/accept this at BNE check-in?
  • A Velocity/Qatar ticketing escalation route I've missed?
  • Or simply travelling successfully with this sort of nickname discrepancy?
Thanks very much - any advice would be hugely appreciated!
 
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

This situation sucks, I really feel for you.

"Hope is not a strategy", as the saying goes, so I wouldn't risk rocking up to BNE airport and hoping for the best.

And I can't think of anything else you could try given you've spoken to the airlines multiple times already.

If I was in your shoes, I'd cancel the booking and either:
a) rebook reward seats - economy is available BNE-FCO on the 11th, and the earliest option home I can see is LHR-BNE on the 25th (via USA!), or
b) pay - Emirates is available for $1880 per person for your dates, which is actually a pretty good deal.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
If you haven’t already done so, why not go out to BNE airport one day this week around the check-in time for the Qatar flight, and ask them if they’ll be able to help you on the day of travel?

It’s important to stipulate ‘on the day’ because at the moment the booking is in Virgin’s control.

On the day of departure it will be in Qantar’s control, and they may be able to apply their name correction policy.

(edited to fix spelling)
 
Last edited:

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top