Velocity Platinum Amex 2 for 1 business class ticket question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanxu

Intern
Hi everyone.

I am thinking about purchase 2 business class ticket to Europe next year. I do believe Velocity Platinum Amex has the following offer:
"You and a guest travelling together can fly on selected Business Flexi fares for the price of just one passenger on V Australia, as well as code share flights with Delta-plus surcharges and taxes apply"

I wish to fly from Adelaide to Paris. I think the option of Virgin Australia from ADL-SYD, V Australia SYD-AUH, and AUH-CDG (Eithad but carry V Australia code). Would this option satisfy their requirement?

Has anyone had any experience of booking this ticket?

Cheers

No experience but usually the business flexi is not a lot cheaper than 2 sale fares.

Sent from my iPad using Aust Freq Fly app

Yes it used to be good back before the GFC hit, but now with all the sale fares you are better off booking 2 x sale fares directly with the airline!

I actually have checked out some dates on business sale and flexi fares to Europe and USA.

Just as an example for a Business Class sale fare to Paris it is $3,800 one way and return is about the same.
However for a Business Class Flexi fare, the price was around $4,600 one way and return was about the same.

So assuming that you use your AMEX Velocity Plat card, you will be paying $9,200 for two passengers on a Flexi fare as opposed to $15,200 for TWO business class sales fare. In fact, two premium economy tickets will set you back $9,500 to Paris, so the AMEX Velocity Plat sounds like a great deal!

Except, it applies to V Australia and Delta codeshare only. So what happens with the Etihad connecting flights? That is what I'm curious about.

Do you pay for 2 for the price of one business class flexi fare for the travel between Sydney - Abu Dhabi on the V Australia bird, and then have to pay 2 for the price of 2 on Etihad between Abu dhabi - Paris/London etc???

Now for the V Australia/Delta US flights, the business class flexi fare offer is still good, because the Flexi fare is almost double that of the business sale fare.
Melbourne - New York is $4,500 business sale one way OR approximately $8,400 Business flexi one day.
The return price is the similar.
So if you bought a return ticket on business sale, it works out to be $18,000 whereas the AMEX Velocity Plat will cost around $16,800 because its two for 1.

That's exactly the reason I am thinking about this option. Particular considering you will get 2 points for ever mile with this class. It would be very attractive if both person can earn miles and status point. I would earn close to 70,000 points between the two travelers. Anyone had done a trip to Europe with this deal?

That's exactly the reason I am thinking about this option. Particular considering you will get 2 points for ever mile with this class. It would be very attractive if both person can earn miles and status point. I would earn close to 70,000 points between the two travelers. Anyone had done a trip to Europe with this deal?

Yes i am curious as to how this credit card works out with the Etihad flight, whether they want you to pay for two fares and if so, at sale or flexi fares.

And what also makes this attractive is, you get 3 Velocity points for $1 spent with Virgin also, so thats approximately 28,000 points for using the card + 2 points per mile from the flexi fare from the flight, 80,000, thats over 100,000 points.

hopefully you've got silver or higher SC too :) so you can earn 50% or more.

I knew I read something about these a while back,

There seems an unfortunate entry in the PDS for the "Complimentary Business Class Companion Fares"

This also appears in the section for the free domestic flight, which does make sense, but I doubt people spending $14,000 will be too happy about not getting any FF points. At least they don't mention the non accrual of status credits (so should we assume the flights do count for status if on VA).

I knew I read something about these a while back,

Well that kind of a let down that you won't get FF points, I'll have to double check the PDS because i didnt find that clause.e

Anyway if that is the case, that is dissapointing because technically you are buying two seats with a 50% discount applied to the total price. So in theory you should be able to get FF for both passengers.

Also after further perusing the T&C and PDS it would seem that this offer only applies with VAus and Delta to USA, it wont apply if you want to fly to Europe.

"for direct and formal connection flights sold in the Business Flexi fare classes on V Australia flights only, or on codeshare or interline flights booked through V Australia that codeshare or interline with Delta Airlines. The offers does not extend to flights booked through V Australia that codeshare or interline with any other airline partner.

"Offer provides a 50% discount for you and a guest when you purchase standard adult Business Flexi fares for you and your guest flying with V Australia or V Australia flights that code share or interline with Delta Airlines. Flights to European sectors on Etihad are not included in this offer,"

In other words, we can buy a Business class flexi two-for-one from Sydney to Abu Dhabi return, and purchase an Etihad connecting flight Abu Dhabi - European destination return, seperately. Even if VA is selling the Etihad flight with a VA flight number.

So business flexi fare from SYD-Abu Dhabi return is approx $9,100 if you used the AMEX Velocity Plat Companion deal.

The seperate business class "sale" fare between Abu Dhabi - Paris/London/etc etc on Etihad is approximately $4,800 return for two people.

So works out to be $13,000 for two people, but you might not be able to earn points on the sydney-abu dhabi-sydney because of the companion rules (i would check with AMEX or velocity call centre to confirm this)

And the cheapest biz fare i could come up with on a "decent" airline, Malaysia Airlines, is $5800 per person ($11,600 for two), which at least for now, until Malaysia splits and shacks up with Qantas, you earn 1.5 points per mile as well as SC towards your Velocity.

If you were to buy the same biz class tickets VAust/Etihad without the companion offer, you're looking at $14,876 for both of you (or $14,666 on Etihad all the way), which is a sale fare and you'll get 1.5 points per mile and SC.

hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back