using Altitude reward points for USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antoallison

I am mulling over using my 219,389 (Equals $1,025.00 AUD value) points from my Westpac Altitude rewards for a flight PER-SYD-LAX return on 7th August 2016. Return date is very flexible but around 8th September, 2016 or later.

I have been quoted $1,290.20 so I just need to pay the Pinpoint Travel agency fee of about $120 and any credit card fees ... So TOTAL of $270.50.

But I actually need to fly on to Washington after my arrival in LAX to be there by the evening of 9th August at the latest. I was going to book this section myself via the United or Delta website as it seems cheaper than the fares I have been quoted when I called Virgin etc for cross country internal flights.

I already have points in my Virgin Velocity rewards that I can use instead of Altitude and could add to by converting my Altitude across to Virgin .. But transferring points from Altitude to Virgin means a loss of points .. So no advantage there ?

Another query is - I was under the impression that I have to collect my bags in LAX, go through time delay at customs ( as the first point of entry to the US,) - then re-check my bags, go through security again for the next flight .. Preferably in the same terminal 5 !

Is it true that if I book and pay on the one ticket straight through to Washington, that I do not have to touch my bags at LAX, and that they go through to Washington for customs check there ( so less hassle for me at LAX) ?

By booking my own LAX to Washington (ID) ticket, I suppose I am leaving myself open to not making the connection in LAX if my flight in from SYD is late, and then being up for finding and paying for another flight.

Any suggestions for a first time traveller to the US ?

Last edited:
Regardless of how your flights are booked you MUST collect bags and clear Customs at your FIRST US port.... in this case LAX.

And will then have to go through security again....

If the bags are already checked/tagged through then you can drop them off just outside Customs..rather than having to go and check in all over again. Quite an advantage.

If you book separate tickets then yes, YOU are on the hook if the first flight is late and you miss the next.....As you will arrive in LAX on the 7th and dont need to be in IAD until the 9th you have lots of options. I usually book "same day" with at least 3 hours between flights....
Havent been bitten.... yet.

Some folks build in an overnight... and I wouldnt scoff at that idea....depending on what time the flight arrives at LAX... (I fly NZ and get in at lunchtime...so onward travel is quite feasible)

Suggestions? If you are going to Washington don't miss the Air and Space Museum!:mrgreen:

Around here, the best use of points is considered to be to transfer them to an airline program and redeem for business or first class travel. By using them as you propose, you are basically trading your Altitude points for cash at less than 0.5c per Altitude point. If you have no other use for them, then that's fine, but there is better value for you out there if you like travelling in premium classes.

Yes Altitude points transfer to Velocity at 2:1, but there's no "loss" of points - that's just the exchange rate because Altitude points are handed out at a higher rate 1.25 & 3 points per dollar spent on the Black card for example.

Given how cheap AUS-USA return flights are at the moment, I personally wouldn't be using points on that route to book an economy fare. If you can afford it, pay cash for that flight and use your points for something else.

For example, if you transfer your Altitude points to Singapore Airlines, you would have enough points for a return business class trip to Japan (plus about $500 in fees).

Good point Billy the Fish, I had thought about it those fares are so cheap and I can save all my points up for a nice long trip next year with a lot more time to plan routes.

Just use the points and spend the cash on looking at stuff when there. You're dead a long time.

Yes, as others have said, collect bags and clear customs regardless of what airline or combined ticket you have. Not really as a big a deal as it sounds and only a walk around the terminals which I always like a long flight.

Matt

You will need to collect your bags for customs in LAX, then return them to your carrier. Smile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back