US credit cards - how to get a prepaid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhubert

hi

Apart from finding a friend in the US & sending them some money to buy one - has anyone bought a prepaid US$ card online, or somewhere else? If so, through what company? It seems handy to have one for buying airfares etc.

thanks

I'm not quite sure why you want a prepaid card here...

If you are trying to avoid paying FX fees when you pay for things there are other options that are mentioned on these forums many times, such as
* the 28 Degrees MasterCard which is a credit card without any FX fees
* Citibank Plus transaction account that comes with a Visa Debit card (useful for overseas or website purchases). This account has not FX fees when you make purchases or withdraw from ATMs OS. Citibank will also not charge you fees for using ATMs overseas
* Another more complicated option unless you spend a lot in USD is to get an International Currency Card from American Express - the product is a charge card that bills you in USD. You then pay them by Telegraphic Transfer (this can be free or cheaper than the banks if you use Amex's FX payment service in Australia to send the money to Amex in the US)

because a US issued card is a) in USD already & the rate is set & b) you can use it to buy in countries where you need a US-numbered card. Like Amazon & US sites, and for example to buy airfares outside Australia for US fares - like elsewhere in the forums say you can do from the US.

I know all the other info above, thanks.

I have a Bank of America Visa Debit. I set it up while I was there. Just need Australian Passport and Birth certificate. I've just applied for and received a PayPal prepaid MasterCard. www.paypal.com/prepaid. Not used it yet. So cant comment. Both are USD.

Sent from my Telstra iPhone using the Australian Frequent Flyer application.

because a US issued card is a) in USD already & the rate is set & b) you can use it to buy in countries where you need a US-numbered card. Like Amazon & US sites, and for example to buy airfares outside Australia for US fares - like elsewhere in the forums say you can do from the US.

I know all the other info above, thanks.

Understand but the ICC Amex in USD is exactly like this - billed in USD, however the rate you get when converting AUD is of course set at the time you pay the bill (much like it would be set at the time you convert funds to put on the prepaid card).

The issue with some websites is the address linked to the card, not usually the card itself.

You can buy many many things from overseas websites without needing a US issued card.

One question on a prepaid card - how are you going to get the money on there in the first place? i.e. when/how are you going to convert AUD/USD

I have a Bank of America Visa Debit. I set it up while I was there. Just need Australian Passport and Birth certificate. I've just applied for and received a PayPal prepaid MasterCard. www.paypal.com/prepaid. Not used it yet. So cant comment. Both are USD.

Sent from my Telstra iPhone using the Australian Frequent Flyer application.

How did you get the PayPal card? It is only open to US residents with a US address and a Social Security number...

That's why I was saying that if you have a real need to regularly spend in USD you could consider the ICC from Amex as you don't need to be a US resident or have a social security number.

I think the OP will run into the residency issues with almost every prepaid card if you don't go through a friend who lives in the US

I have a US Paypal account, used a friend address. There is no SSN requirement for prepaid.

Sounds like you were lucky because I based my comments on the FAQ from the website

[h=4]Q. Who can request or purchase a PayPal Prepaid MasterCard[SUP]®[/SUP]?[/h]A. Any U.S. resident or U.S. resident alien over 18 years of age with a valid Social Security number (SSN) and a verifiable physical U.S. street address may request or purchase a card. We do not offer PayPal Prepaid Cards to residents of Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or other U.S. territories. During the card activation process you will be required to supply your name, physical street address (no P.O. Boxes), date of birth, and SSN.

[h=4]Q. If I am not a U.S. citizen, may I request or purchase a PayPal Prepaid MasterCard[SUP]®[/SUP]?[/h]A. Yes. As long as you are a permanent resident of the U.S., over 18 years of age with a valid Social Security number (SSN), and a verifiable physical U.S. street address (no P.O. Boxes) you may request or purchase a card.

Sounds like you were lucky because I based my comments on the FAQ from the website

Call them. I tried to apply for a PayPal MasterCard Debit and as told no due to no SSN. So I rang and asked what options I had. I was then informed of the no SSN requirement for the Prepaid.

I just jumped onto the PayPal Prepaid site that v8Statesman linked and signed up for a card using my company's mailing address in the US. No need to enter a SSN - just my address and US phone number. I've already received an email notifying me that my card has been processed and will be shipped to my address in the next few days.

Once the card arrives I'll do the activation and linking steps and will report back.

Also, during the online activation, there was the option for ID "Non-US Passport"

I don't doubt your experience, just commenting because it wasn't clear and wanted to understand if you have circumstances that don't apply to others...

Thanks for clarifying - looks like another option in the frequent flyer spending coughnal...!

I'm not sure the Paypal prepaid master card is that good value .. the fees:
[h=1]HERE ARE SOME OF THE CARD'S BASIC FEES[/h][h=2]SEE THE CARDHOLDER AGREEMENT FOR THE COMPLETE LIST OF CARD FEES.[/h]
Monthly Fee
(UNLIMITED[SUP]*[/SUP] Signature- and PIN-Purchase Transactions)
$4.95
Domestic ATM Cash Withdrawal Fee[SUP]**[/SUP]$1.95 each
Balance Inquiry Fee at an ATM$0.50 each
Balance Inquiry Fee—online, via toll-free telephone call, or real time alerts.[SUP]***[/SUP]No fee

I'm not sure the Paypal prepaid master card is that good value .. the fees:
HERE ARE SOME OF THE CARD'S BASIC FEES

SEE THE CARDHOLDER AGREEMENT FOR THE COMPLETE LIST OF CARD FEES.

Monthly Fee
(UNLIMITED[SUP]*[/SUP] Signature- and PIN-Purchase Transactions)
$4.95
Domestic ATM Cash Withdrawal Fee[SUP]**[/SUP]$1.95 each
Balance Inquiry Fee at an ATM$0.50 each
Balance Inquiry Fee—online, via toll-free telephone call, or real time alerts.[SUP]***[/SUP]No fee

According to the back of the card, the $4.95 monthly fee is only charges after 90 consecutive days of inactivity.... So use it to buy US iTunes ;-)

This certainly could be a useful thing to have to shop on those US sites that require not only a US delivery address but a creditcard with a US billing address. There was an article in the SMH the other day describing how some Australian retailers are trying to prevent us accessing lower US prices by having sales on US websites increasingly restricted to US customers.

I have a personal US address that was given to me by the reshipper I use, I wonder if that would work for this card?

Last edited:
This certainly could be a useful thing to have to shop on those US sites that require not only a US delivery address but a creditcard with a US billing address. There was an article in the SMH the other day describing how some Australian retailers are trying to prevent us accessing lower US prices by having sales on US websites increasingly restricted to US customers.

I have a personal US address that was given to me by the reshipper I use, I wonder if that would work for this card?

I've looked at this. To reship a letter you need to have submitted a notarized form... I need to investigate more.

I guess this is a tiny step closer to the mirage of Australians one day possibly being able to apply for proper US credit cards which, given the enormous sign-on bonuses and ability to quickly churn would mean HUGE benefits for US Air and AA FF programs!

I've looked at this. To reship a letter you need to have submitted a notarized form... I need to investigate more.

I use myus.com and their FAQ says:

How do I order from U.S. companies that do not accept International orders?

How to Order from U.S. Companies

1. Contact your credit card company and add your MyUS Address as a secondary ship to or secondary billing address.

2. When you buy from U.S. retailers, your MyUS shipping address will match your records on file with the credit card company.

If your Credit Card company does not offer a secondary ship to or billing address,
you can also use our Personal Shopper service to purchase from U.S. retailers. With Personal Shopper, we purchase the merchandise for you and charge your credit card on file once the order has been completed.

Click here to find out more about our Personal Shopper Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back