TIP: Redeeming Amex points for flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daggs01

My recommendation to anyone looking to use their Amex MR points for travel is to use them directly with:
A. Webjet
B. Harvey World Travel
C. Travelscene
D. American Express Travel

Here is why:
When utilizing them through one of the above mentioned travel agents they are redeemed on dollar value of a point, for any flight and on any airline.

If you have loyalty to an airline book the tickets for that airline through the agent, using your amex points.

Many airlines don't give SCs when you utilize points stored with them ie. Virgin Australia, and either charge you a motza like QF, to redeem on the flight you want or have lots of restrictions. Utilizing the above directly with Amex points still gives you the SC you rightfully deserve.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

It all depends on the value you place on the SC. There are certainly much better value redemptions to be had direct from velocity.

Also if you are in one of the limited MR account types that still allow transfers to QF, ASA will offer vastly better value and will earn SC and points. A $10,000 premium airfare on qantas will cost 1,000,000 MR points direct with a travel agent. You'd easily get the same trip twice with 1,000,000 QFF points.

Sent from the Throne (80% chance) using Aust Freq Fly app

There is no way I would use a million Amex points to get $10,000 of travel when you could use about 200,000 points for a trip in business class to America out of an east coast capital city. Five times $7k to $12k of value is what those points are worth on international redemptions so don't sell yourself short! That is what the Frequent Flyer game is about.

I would agree with the others that using your Amex points in this manner is an epic waste. Much easier and cost effective to convert to the airlines and book directly.

Last edited:
It all depends I what you book. J and F seats are certainly poor value, but here is an example of where they were exceptional value.

2 x Mel-DRW flights is 72,000 points on a QF classic.

I booked through Amex 2 of the above and it cost $640 each or 64,000 points. On top of that I got points and status credits for the flights too.

So it all depends on the sales as to the points benefit.

It all depends I what you book. J and F seats are certainly poor value, but here is an example of where they were exceptional value.

2 x Mel-DRW flights is 72,000 points on a QF classic.

I booked through Amex 2 of the above and it cost $640 each or 64,000 points. On top of that I got points and status credits for the flights too.

So it all depends on the sales as to the points benefit.

Good point so the leason here is to check before booking

So here is a calculation on SYD-LHR dep 1 May and return 1 June on DJ in business

Virgin quoted $9825
Velocity Points cost is 1,146,000
American Express MR cost is 982,500

I found a flight on web jet on V Australia for less than what the virgin website quoted directly.

Seems logical to utilize Amex points here.

I tend to use points for domestic and travel and purchase tickets for international travel when there is a sale on. So usually the points end up being a better option for domestic travel.

Next week we are going on points SIN-LHR in Standard on SQ in First for 306k points return. Typically you can get from OZ to SIN in J for sub 100k return.
Now I have not given you Saver points rates but I would suggest you look at places you can transfer those AMEX points as you can do better than I listed.

Hmm interesting.... 500,000 ks miles for 1st class return on for SYD-LHR is great.

So internationally, it makes sense to transfer however domestically I'm not in agreeable.

Looks like it depends on class of travel, and the program. For example, BNE-HKG return in CX or QF is around 120k MR points in J. Usually if you buy the ticket is around 3-4k. BNE-Syd return in J = 32000 points with QF, and when you use MR it would be around 120k. In QF sometimes you can find a JASA as well that you earn both points and credits.

A $10,000 premium airfare on qantas will cost 1,000,000 MR points direct with a travel agent. You'd easily get the same trip twice with 1,000,000 QFF points.

Or 180,000 points if the planets align and you get in quickly :)

BNE-SIN Bus class and PE, QFF say they have availbility last two weeks of Sept @ 60,000 pts one way Bus or 45,000 one way PE, total cost if Bus Class return for me and Mrs Ricardo is
240,000 pts or same amount of Amex MR points. No competition in my opinion for roughly $8,500 worth of airfares, including fees and taxes which are about $480.

MR is Membership Rewards, the Amex points program. ASA is 'any seat award', the alternative to 'classic awards' when redeeming through Qantas.

Still having trouble understanding this. Last year I flew SYD-AMS return in J for 162,000 MR on SQ. If I had chosen not to fly A380 SYD-SIN it would have been a mere 127,400 MR. Taxes etc were around $700. The dollar value would be around $6,000 odd. Had I used the dollar value of my points through an agent I would have only received say (162,000MR) $1,620 + (taxes) $700 = $2,320 of purchase power.

Are you telling me I could have done better?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back