Time to transfer points to Velocity, Kris or Asia Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

an*g-bne

Intern
Hi all

Time to try something new. I'm looking to use my Citi points from my select card for a return J fare to Europe (leaving 26 June, returning 15 July ideally, ideally to FRA, but other points in Europe ok, and ideally from BNE, but SYD or MEL ok too).

Unfortunately, I cannot find any Classic QF availability at all a week either side of the ideal dates, so I can't go for the Citi Price Match Guarantee, much as I would like to do so (if anyone can find something that works around those days, I'll be eternally grateful :) ).

So, Plan B is to transfer to Velocity, Kris or Asia Miles and book via that. Unfortunately, being school holiday time, availability is very tight, and once I transfer the miles, they're stuck in that program. I've rung all 3, Kris can't check availability other than on SQ (which there is none) until there are points in the account so that they can send-off a seat request. Velocity has no return availability on EY or SQ. Asia Miles was completely unhelpful and didn't understand the concept of wanting to check availability before transferring the miles (will ring back tonight to get another operator).

Main question is this: does anyone have any experience with how long Citi takes to transfer points to any of these partners? Given the tight availability, if I find something on one of those, I'll need to quickly transfer the miles over to the right one, and hope it's still there by the time the points arrive and I can book.

It's a real shame I can't find any QF award to Citi Price Match.

And just to follow up on my own question, for the benefit of others, I ended up putting in a request to transfer to KrisFlyer on Sunday, as I found suitable award flights on *A.

Points appeared today - 2nd business day. So, quite a speedy service.

hi

I was going to ask same question how long it takes, so looks like pretty quick.

my folks have few points in citi which i want to take over to Krisflyer.

But I am trying to figure out how many points it will take to fly PER-BOM on Krisflyer and how much taxes.

Any idea if SIA website will tell me that ?

Just for some extra confirmation, the two times I've transferred from Citi to KrisFlyer it's also only taken a day or two.

But I am trying to figure out how many points it will take to fly PER-BOM on Krisflyer and how much taxes.

Re the points required, you can look them up via http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsclub_krisflyer/charts/SQMI_OneWayAwardCharts_Mar2012.pdf (SQ redemptions) and/or http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsclub_krisflyer/charts/StarAlliance_RoundTrip_Mar12.pdf (partner airline redemptions), or you can run a dummy booking via SQ's website - you can see the required points for an award booking without actually having those points available (you must be logged into a KF account to run the dummy booking though).

Re the taxes, only sure-fire way I know of is to ring them, but if you run a dummy commercial (non-award) booking via SQ's website for the same date/time/class/route and look at what component of the fare quoted is taxes and surcharges, that should be pretty close.

hi
I did a booking for a random date in the future:

Online Y - 51,000 miles
Charges $668.

I did a booking for a random date in the future:

Online Y - 51,000 miles
Charges $668.

Great thanks fir the info guys, looks like citi rewards flight deal might be the better go as i can book a malaysian airlines fare with 92,000 points all up per to bom.

Thanks again for info

hi

Really depends on the class of travel, and the award type you are looking for. On the website, you'll notice that SQ has three types of redemption awards, with increasing levels of availability. Saver awards require few points, but are hard to come by, and are more restrictive in terms of stopovers and maximum stay. Standard awards require quite a bit more, but are generally more available and permit more stopovers. Full awards have high availability, but at an exorbitant points cost.

Then, it also depends on class of travel. PER (Zone 8) to BOM (Zone 6) return on SQ flights only is 60,000 (Economy) and 110,000 (Business) for Saver awards, 114,000 (Economy) and 220,000 (Business) for Standard and 230,000 (Economy) and 512,000 (Business) for Full awards.

EDIT: If you book online, you get a 15% discount on miles required.

Taxes can vary, but currently, pricing at $667.90, see the breakdown below - the dreaded YQ (fuel surcharge) is the killer.

Fuel Surcharge (YQ)AU$505.20
SQ YQ surcharge (YQ)AU$21.20
Singapore Passenger Service Charge (SG)AU$14.80
Singapore Passenger Security Service Charge (OO)AU$5.00
SQ YR surcharge (YR)AU$25.00
Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU)AU$47.00
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG)AU$6.29
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY)AU$12.51
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY)AU$11.90
Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO)AU$6.20
Indian Development Fee (YM)AU$12.80

Last edited:
Have you looked at *A awards with SQ points. I can see the following in J:

26/6 TG462 MEL-BKK - 27/6 TG922 BKK-FRA

16/7 OZ522 LHR-ICN - 17/7 OZ741 ICN-BKK
TG473 BKK-BNE

There are a number of others that would work as well.

hi

You can find the taxes and charges on the Matrix ITA website. Just do a search for the dates you want, & you will see the full breakdown at the final step.

Have you looked at *A awards with SQ points. I can see the following in J:

26/6 TG462 MEL-BKK - 27/6 TG922 BKK-FRA

16/7 OZ522 LHR-ICN - 17/7 OZ741 ICN-BKK
TG473 BKK-BNE

There are a number of others that would work as well.

Thanks - I did get the flights booked about 2 weeks ago, originally BNE-SIN-FRA-SIN-BNE, but not on my preferred dates for the outbound. I kept a close eye on flights using the Aeroplan and ANA tools, and when flights came up on my preferred date, I changed them to BNE-SIN-PEK-FRA, then FRA-SIN-BNE.

Availability was actually quite reasonable for +/- 2 days, despite the school holidays. The only tough part was the manual process needed to book *A flights, and the fact that the SQ call centre couldn't see/book flights that were showing as available using both Aeroplan and ANA tools, so quite a few times when something came up on ANA/Aeroplan, I would ring them up to make the change, only to discover that SQ couldn't access those seats, until I finally had success.

It's a pity we have lost BMI for *A awards. They were pretty good especially if you could give them flight numbers. I wish there was a decent scheme we could use credit card points on - KrisFlyer doesn't appeal, & Velocity seems to be too limited (& expensive) for anything other than their own metal and economy.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards US & UA, as I tend to travel to N America more often than anywhere else. For me, burn rates tend to be the most important issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back