Sydney to London (one way) with Altitude points

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonnielin000

Hi there,

My lovely father in law has offered to give my husband and I his altitude points towards our (one-way) flights to London this September. He has 438k and I want to make sure we use them wisely, so hopefully he can come visit us in the UK soon!

I'm certainly not a frequent flyer, :shock: so I was hoping someone here could tell me the best way to use them? Should I go through the altitude travel agents, or is it better to transfer them to an airline FF program?

I am not familiar with the ins and outs of Altitude...

However I think 2 Altitude points transfer to Singapore Airlines as 1 point???

If so that will give you 219 K.

You can redeem with Star Alliance Partners, via Singapore Airlines (SQ).

Thai Fly to London via Bangkok.

75 K plus taxes will get you a Business Class Seat.
150K will get you both to London.

Singapore Airlines also fly to London, but only at Standard rather than Savers rates ( ie 255 K rather than 127.5K) as only their newer planes fly there.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's great to know!

I think we'll go with Singapore as I spoke to them and they're offering 75k business class (less 15% discount!).

Next question: how do we get the points from Father-in-law's Altitude account to my Krisflyer account that I set up yesterday??:?:

Is it as simple as him ringing Altitude with my Kris member number? Or is it going to be more complicated because the points are in his name, and Krisflyer in mine?

have only ever transferred via the Altitude sight to a Krisflyer membership in the same name. but check with KF about tranferring to relatives before you do that. i have previously done this with Malaysian airlines once i have transferred to the airline.

I think we'll go with Singapore as I spoke to them and they're offering 75k business class (less 15% discount!).
Sing to London 75k business class?

I think you better 3 times double confirm this - am certainly not aware any J Savers into London - 5 other European destinations yes but not London.

Best I can see on SQ site is 114,750 pts after 15% discount - SQ242 is 777-200 which allows J Savers but SIN-LHR is either 77W or 380 - no J Savers on this metal.

Last edited:
Thanks Cruiser Elite, I will call tomorrow morning to double check on that! It's a Syd > Sing > Lon flight and I definitely mentioned 'London' about 5 times in the conversation, so I hope they got it right!

I found this on the Krisflyer website: Can I convert my credit/charge card points to KrisFlyer miles and have them credited to another KrisFlyer account?
No, if you are the principal credit/charge cardholder, when you convert your credit/charge card points to KrisFlyer miles, they may only be credited to your KrisFlyer account.

Does this mean we can't do anything? Or only that I need to set up a Kris Flyer account in FIL's name and he can then buy our tickets from his Krisflyer account?

Does this mean we can't do anything? Or only that I need to set up a Kris Flyer account in FIL's name and he can then buy our tickets from his Krisflyer account?
Yes you will need to transfer into his name and then set yourselves up as 'Redemption Nominees' - you can then redeem seats in your name.

This sounds a bit complicated and onerous but in reality is quite simple - I have done it for wifey and friends and staff - similarly I have been on receiving end.

But do not delay - longest lead time between booking and actual flight usually sees greatest availability.

Good luck - keep us informed.

Thanks, that's great to know!

Unless there is a "special" on I doubt that.

Hence my advice to book Thai via SQ.

But hey if they are will to book it grab it as it is most likely a mistake. Have not heard of operator mistakes like this though.

If you don't like Thai, book SQ to Amsterdam and then catch the Eurostar train to London.

Or as Criuser Elite has mention go for a mixed Saver/Standard...but you will need your father in law to earn another 21,000 Altitude points as 2 x2 x 114750 = 459,000.

Last edited:
Nothing against Thai, just that the Kris operator I spoke to said SQ was the cheapest option. Happy to fly anything that will get us there. ;) If we can go business, then that's a bonus!

I'm not sure how she could have made a mistake - I repeated it all back to her 47500 per person for economy, 75000 pp for business, one way to London, with a 15% discount if we book online. And 10,000 pp if we want to do a stopover in Singapore... Really hope this is correct.

I'm not sure how she could have made a mistake - I repeated it all back to her 47500 per person for economy, 75000 pp for business, one way to London, with a 15% discount if we book online. And 10,000 pp if we want to do a stopover in Singapore... Really hope this is correct.

It would require:

* their online booking system to be wrong (I just looked again)
* a change in policy (or plane types) as Savers to London have not been available since the newer planes took over the route exclusively.

The stopover fee is correct.

You can get saver J's to Amsterdam, roam, Istanbul, Athens...but bot London....or at least that has been the case for a while and is what the on-line system is showing.

Best I can see is Saver to Singapore and then Standard to London.

So unless one of the changes I mentioned has occurred I think she may have been incorrect....and if not snap it up as I dare say it will not last.

However I would add that redemption table would list Saver, Standard and Full Awards....it is just that with the new planes being on the Singapore-London leg that SQ does not presently allow Saver J bookings on that route.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back