Suggestion to leave the paranoid HSBC credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalereardon

Hi,

I have a HSBC Visa (direct from HSBC) and also a Woolworths EDR card but both are as bad as each other.

They are just overly paranoid about overseas transactions and keep blocking my card and forcing me to ring up and making my wife grumpy when the card is declined locally because I have made an overseas purchase.

Is there another card that gets you 1 Qantas point per dollar but isn't overly security paranoid?

I know BankWest gives 1 point per dollar but what are they like in terms of blocking the card?

My CBA cards (Amex and Mcard) are fine and just once or twice they have rung me to confirm a larger transaction but nothing with small transactions. However the Mcard of course gives a hopeless earn rate.

After other suggestions. Oh and the Jetstar card is no good as they won't give me one even though my credit record is fine etc.

Thanks,

Dale.

I have a HSBC Visa (direct from HSBC) and also a Woolworths EDR card but both are as bad as each other. They are just overly paranoid about overseas transactions and keep blocking my card and forcing me to ring up and making my wife grumpy when the card is declined locally because I have made an overseas purchase.

I've made 4 overseas trips in the past 18 months and use my Woolworths (HSBC) credit card frequently overseas. I always call them prior to travel, and not once has my card been blocked.

And at $89 a year, no cap on points, and 1 point per $, it's gotta be the best card around.

We went to Italy, France earlier in the year and rang and told them (both EDR and HSBC) and even though they knew they still blocked the card 2 or 3 times - I can't remember which.

We are very heavy users of the card as we put all our expenses on the card so maybe that matters.

Just this week I ticketed some AA Aadvantage awards and the total cost was 2 charges of USD$71 and you guessed it, they blocked the card and had to ring them and it caused my monthly life insurance premium to not go through.

Very annoying indeed.

Dale.

We went to Italy, France earlier in the year and rang and told them (both EDR and HSBC) and even though they knew they still blocked the card 2 or 3 times - I can't remember which.....

Just this week I ticketed some AA Aadvantage awards and the total cost was 2 charges of USD$71 and you guessed it, they blocked the card and had to ring them and it caused.....

Very annoying indeed.

Paranoid and extremely inconsistent seems to sum them up pretty well......:D

Which is a shame - as on paper its a good card - but with that horrible paranoid and complex web site and security paranoia and the random blocking of overseas transactions that has happened to me does detract from the enjoyment somewhat!

never encountered this in the years I had one - it may be the nature of the transactions not just the fact they are overseas

well, if you're doing a lot of overseas spending, you're wasting enormous amounts of money in forex fees using this card. Bankwest Platinum Qantas has no forex fees and 1QFF:$1.

Qantas Credit Union should be considered

Hi,

I have a HSBC Visa (direct from HSBC) and also a Woolworths EDR card but both are as bad as each other.

They are just overly paranoid about overseas transactions and keep blocking my card and forcing me to ring up and making my wife grumpy when the card is declined locally because I have made an overseas purchase.

Is there another card that gets you 1 Qantas point per dollar but isn't overly security paranoid?

I know BankWest gives 1 point per dollar but what are they like in terms of blocking the card?

My CBA cards (Amex and Mcard) are fine and just once or twice they have rung me to confirm a larger transaction but nothing with small transactions. However the Mcard of course gives a hopeless earn rate.

After other suggestions. Oh and the Jetstar card is no good as they won't give me one even though my credit record is fine etc.

Thanks,

Dale.

I have had my Bankwest QANTAS Platinum card for a year now and never had an overseas transaction rejected. Big plus for this card is no FX fee and I have saved more than double the annual fee this year already.

BankWest QF Platinum is fantastic. Customer service is always helpful and no problems with card being blocked.

BankWest QF Platinum is fantastic. Customer service is always helpful and no problems with card being blocked.

Couldn't agree more. I always tell them I've travelling and have never had the card blocked. I also regularly use this card for recurring overseas transactions and also online shopping and have never had a problem.

An expensive card if you were to get is solely as an alternative to 28 degrees but since I use it as my MC in Australia for non-Amex spend I find the card to be fantastic value.

Nothing better than being able to use it overseas without worry - I travel a couple of times a year OS and use it for everything, including small transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back