Slate - AmEx’s Terrible Year Is Getting Even Worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an article about American Express's drop in the share market due to lower-than-expected first quarter earnings

Thanks for posting - an interesting article. The loss of Costco and JetBlue as USA partners in this particular case will hurt. Seems to be a common theme of loyalty schemes that are in trouble, loss of partnerships = loss of reasons for customers to use your products + high merchant fees + low acceptance = downward spiral.

I expect the rise of alternative electronic payments such as PayPal must be affecting Visa, Mastercard and Amex as well.

Last edited:
I expect the rise of alternative electronic payments such as PayPal must be affecting Visa, MasterCard and Amex as well.
Absolutely they are and will continue to do so. And hence the reason why banks are currently and will continue to throw CC offers at potential customers with generous bonus sign ons attached.

Sorry if this is slightly OT.

hopefuly this wont lead to MR enhancements :-|

Depends how they look at it I guess. Quick money grab - devalue the program. Or they could increase the value resulting in more customers over the long term, more revenue. But everyone seems to love quick money :)

I will sometimes use Paypal, but it will be my Amex that is entered in my Paypal account, so I assume that still benefits Amex and I still get my 1.5 points per $...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back