simple question on membership rewards points expiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEL_Traveller

Veteran Member
Hi all

Question on behalf of my father - he has the regular green amex card issued directly through Amex. Spends the usual $500 a month with the points going to membersip rewards.

The intention is to transfer these to Qantas (or another airline partner).

Question - do these points ever 'expire'? He hase been saving for the last 5 years or so.

Question 2 - do the changes to the QF card earning poilcy (which I'm not familiar with but something about a direct crediting to Qantas now required??) - how does this affect my father? What does he need to do right now to save/protect his points for airline use?

Sorry if these are simple questions but I've tried to find out info on the Amex site (nothing) and I don't hold an Amex other than Earth myself which already directly credits to QF.

Thanks all in advance

MEL_T

Points don't expire as long as account remains open, is in good standing etc and the MR fee (if applicable) is paid yearly. Have a look at the particular T&C's relating to the type of account he has (as they are different)

Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions - American Express Australia

If you can currently transfer points to Qantas, this should remain in place until April this year. However, after this date you will no longer be able to transfer points to Qantas unless he goes for a Plat Amex Charge (and is in their 'Ascent Premium' MR program), or changes the green card for a Qantas co-branded "direct sweep" credit card where the points go straight to Qantas at the end of each month.

I have been an Amex card member since 2000 and have been collecting MR points since then and have never redeeemed any MR points with the intention that they never expired. I was in choices for the first few years and only switched over to Ascent 4 years ago and all the MR points transferred across to Ascent so I can use them on airline frequent flyer programs.

I am going to resist the temptation to transfer MR points to Qantas before 1 April 2009 but wished I had taken advantage of the generous transfer rate to SPG a few months ago. Oh well....

SPG points .... i wish i had done the same :(
I like SQ Kris Flyer as my usual transfer from Amex, since i get QF points via other means and the SQ redemption for me are usually good value, but most of all i like the option ! i hate being locked in.
E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back