Service stations not earning 2 points/$ on Platinum Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevePER

Established Member
Oneworld
Emerald
My local service station has changed the merchant name that shows up on American Express. It used to be Gull Mount Lawley, earning 2 points/$ on the Platinum Edge. Now it is "McDonald Group Investment Pty Ltd Mount" earning 1 point/$. As a one time exception they have given me the extra points "as goodwill". Is this good enough? I think not really - after the recent earnings reduction we should be earning 2 points per dollar at every service station regardless of the merchant name that shows up. If they can't get the name right, that shouldn't be my problem.

I do understand that it was not your fault since your local service station change business without prior information to you. Therefore, as a one time exception I've issued the remaining 47 points as goodwill to your account. However, going forward you will receive just one point for every dollar that you spend with McDonald Group Investment Pty Ltd. Mount.

I agree. Given that they have written Gull into their included service stations, it should be their problem to sort out.

I agree. Given that they have written Gull into their included service stations, it should be their problem to sort out.

This is on AmEx front page.

Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as "major petrol stations": BP, Shell, Caltex Woolworths, 7 Eleven, Woolworths Petrol, Safeway petrol, Peak & Gull.

Would seem that in the name change the merchant coding changed. Hopefully it can be recoded. You may need to raise the matter again with Amex.
If still no luck, you have the choice, fewer points, or change service stations. Good luck.

If it is branded as GULL then in my book it's GULL irrespective of what they call themselves. Take a photo:-| each time you fill up, on your phone and tell AMEX you will take it up with the ACCC and provide them with dated photos to prove your complaint. Bet the problem gets fixed !!

I think I will give it a go and see what happens. I will report back with the results (but it will be two weeks before I need to fill up again).

If it is branded as GULL then in my book it's GULL irrespective of what they call themselves. Take a photo:-| each time you fill up, on your phone and tell AMEX you will take it up with the ACCC and provide them with dated photos to prove your complaint. Bet the problem gets fixed !!

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a similar note- my 3 points per dollar restaurant spend did not post properly at Crown Perth/Burswood a few weeks back. I sent them a "secure email" after the phone rep was less than useful.

The points have not credited yet, but as it is still within their 14 business day timeframe I will hold off before sending an annoyed email.

I am not sure if they even read most of my initial message. I obviously know why the issue has occurred, and I don't really care. If their systems and staff are incompetent then that is their issue, not mine. Saying they 'believe I will find the information useful' is extremely condescending I believe.

My email
Hello. I recently ate at the Merrywell, within the Crown entertainment complex in Burswood, WA. I received only 2 points per dollar but believe I should receive 3, as it is a restaurant rather than an accommodation/travel centre. I understand that it is associated with the Burswood Hotel but, as you can see the transaction was processed at the Merrywell itself, it is obviously for food/drinks and should receive 3 points per dollar...

Response (Edwin Massey)

Dear Dr. Mortimer, I completely understand your concern and I wish to inform you that the points earning depends on the way the merchant is classified with American Express. I see that Merrywell is registered as Travel & Transport, therefore, you received 2 points per $1:00 spend on the account for the charges ar Merrywell. However, I have forwarded a request for investigation to our marketing team. We will respond to you with the status of the investigation within 10- 14 business days. For your reference the case number is X.

I believe you will find the above information useful. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know. Sincerely, Edwin Massey Email Servicing Team American Express Digital Services

Not fixed, I will need to complain to Amex again. This time I have a tax invoice.

19/12/2012 MCDONALD GROUP INVESTMENT PTY LTD MOUNT $53.78 53 0 53

Not fixed, I will need to complain to Amex again. This time I have a tax invoice.

19/12/2012 MCDONALD GROUP INVESTMENT PTY LTD MOUNT $53.78 53 0 53
I continue to be amazed that any company think their own operational inefficiency is somehow a valid excuse in this matter. Would suggest this is time for a terse response "You advertise 2:1 at petrol stations (or 3:1 in Cynicor's case), you haven't given me that, I really don't give a **** about your internal procedures, fix it or I'll go to the ACC about false advertising"

I am happier with the response this time around, they claim to have changed the classification in their database so hopefully this means it will work properly next time. The response time was also good.

Dear Mr StevePER,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue.

I do see that the charges from "McDonald Group Investment Pty Ltd Mount"on your account are posted as "Gasoline/Oil Company - Independent Dealer".

As you mentioned that you have been making these charges at Gull Mount Lawley service station, I have contacted my dedicated team to check and change the classification so that you can earn 2 points $1.00 spent at "McDonald Group Investment Pty Ltd Mount".

For your reference, we categorise a merchant as they present themselves to our database; it is upon their discretion how they want to classify themselves. Our system classifies the charges through an automated process that captures the classification presented by the merchant.

In the mean while, I've issued the remaining 53 points as goodwill to your account. After the adjustment, your points balance is xx_,xx_.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

I wish you Merry Christmas and an excellent holiday season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back