Sending money overseas

Maisy33

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Any recommenddations on who to use for sending money overseas to son in the US?

Thanks.

Depends on how often you want to transfer funds, how much, etc.
Personally I use OFX.

I used to use OFX, but have taken advice from this forum, and tried Wise. It is a far more comprehensive product, allowing me to have multiple currency accounts and a debit card (using any currency).

The exchange rate is typically 0.5% over the spot rate for small transactions, lower for large ones. This is significantly cheaper than any others, including OFX which used to be about 1 to 2%. Banks are typically 3%.

As a UK citizen as well, I am allowed to invest in a Blackrock fund and interest accounts too. Frankly, it's my only international bank now. I only use my uk and Italian banks for direct debits and joint accounts.

Definitely Wise and it would be good to get a referral from someone on AFF

This thread links to some other threads on it

Another +1 for Wise (formerly TransferWise). I've been paying student loan debt to Norway for 7 years now using Wise and recently used their Wise debit card around EU and USA. Can't fault it

I used to use OFX, but have taken advice from this forum, and tried Wise. It is a far more comprehensive product, allowing me to have multiple currency accounts and a debit card (using any currency).

The exchange rate is typically 0.5% over the spot rate for small transactions, lower for large ones. This is significantly cheaper than any others, including OFX which used to be about 1 to 2%. Banks are typically 3%.

As a UK citizen as well, I am allowed to invest in a Blackrock fund and interest accounts too. Frankly, it's my only international bank now. I only use my uk and Italian banks for direct debits and joint accounts.
Absolutely I agree, Wise is a good option. Some years ago when I was weighing up my options of who to go with OFX was best for me in the circumstances (primarily AU <-> USD), they offered me the best rate based on my projected movements, nothing Wise or others could match.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back