QR award availability down to 219 days??? | Page 9 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

QR award availability down to 219 days???

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
So after all this stress and hassle acquiring business class flights on Qatar Airways for 20 August 2020, I am hoping and praying we don't end up having to cancel due to the virus 😭
 

cjd600

Established Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2010
Messages
1,170
So after all this stress and hassle acquiring business class flights on Qatar Airways for 20 August 2020, I am hoping and praying we don't end up having to cancel due to the virus 😭
🤣 I hear ya.
I reckon I'm going to have to dump 4xJ Qsuites SYD-DOH-CDG early August 2020 to start our long planned family OWA.
First World Probs etc. dont think we'll be able to snare same QR for a later date
 

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
🤣 I hear ya.
I reckon I'm going to have to dump 4xJ Qsuites SYD-DOH-CDG early August 2020 to start our long planned family OWA.
First World Probs etc. dont think we'll be able to snare same QR for a later date
Yup 😣
5 week trip to Europe aside, it's going to be near impossible to get new flights to London or nearby on QR for 2021. There's never any availability from Oz to DOH anymore. The flights are the part I will be the most disappointed about if we do need to cancel 😢
 

Battymum

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2013
Messages
139
Oh yes, I am hanging on, but about 80% sure we will have to cancel, unless their is a miracle.
Luckily these flights are fully refundable- even if we have to pay a points penalty, and we don’t have to make a decision anytime soon.

Not likely to ever be able to book first class again, so bummed about it - actually tempted to take the flight and come straight back.
 

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
Oh yes, I am hanging on, but about 80% sure we will have to cancel, unless their is a miracle.
Luckily these flights are fully refundable- even if we have to pay a points penalty, and we don’t have to make a decision anytime soon.

Not likely to ever be able to book first class again, so bummed about it - actually tempted to take the flight and come straight back.
Yes, silver lining is that the classic awards are refundable. Will be such a shame if we lose these flights 😩

I did propose the same thing the other day, just take the flight and come home haha 🛩

I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. Part of me is sure we will have to cancel, but another part of me is like, they can't possibly shut the world down for 6 months can they? 🤔
 

Battymum

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2013
Messages
139
Yes, that’s where we are, and wow won’t the crowds be light in September. What a great time to go!!

I have tried contacting our insurance to see if we would be covered for medical as we booked before all of this, but understandably they are overwhelmed at the moment so can’t get through.

We have a couple of hotels paid for that are refundable and have paid $1200 deposit that is not refundable for a tour but they will let us use that on a future tour if we decide to postpone.

We have given ourselves until July before making a decision.

It’s the great unknown.
 

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
Yes, that’s where we are, and wow won’t the crowds be light in September. What a great time to go!!

I have tried contacting our insurance to see if we would be covered for medical as we booked before all of this, but understandably they are overwhelmed at the moment so can’t

We have given ourselves until July before making a decision.

It’s the great unknown.
Yes, that’s where we are, and wow won’t the crowds be light in September. What a great time to go!!

I have tried contacting our insurance to see if we would be covered for medical as we booked before all of this, but understandably they are overwhelmed at the moment so can’t get through.

We have a couple of hotels paid for that are refundable and have paid $1200 deposit that is not refundable for a tour but they will let us use that on a future tour if we decide to postpone.

We have given ourselves until July before making a decision.

It’s the great unknown.
It's so hard to know what will happen.

We have booked all our hotels and a couple of other things, but if we have to cancel we probably would get most of our money back, maximum loss maybe around $1,000 or so, which is not the end of the world in our current situation.

Let's keep hoping and praying for an end to this mayhem 😊
 

Battymum

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2013
Messages
139
So I am wondering how this policy relates to our award bookings
Can I cancel and get a voucher? (I have 2x F awards -so this could be significant.
Can I change dates - (and they will release award seats for me?

I would actually love to just put this trip back 12months, and not have to risk trying to get award seats again.
 

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
So I am wondering how this policy relates to our award bookings
Can I cancel and get a voucher? (I have 2x F awards -so this could be significant.
Can I change dates - (and they will release award seats for me?

I would actually love to just put this trip back 12months, and not have to risk trying to get award seats again.
Did you book through Qantas? If you did, I think we just deal with Qantas and not Qatar...and if they are classic awards then you cancel and get the points and taxes refunded or try and rebook for next year when the dates become available but there would have to be an award seat available to book. Happy to be corrected if this is not the case.
 

Battymum

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2013
Messages
139
That’s what I assumed I would have to do.
But then I read this and had me wishfully thinking that I might be able to easily change dates or get a voucher.
 

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
That’s what I assumed I would have to do.
But then I read this and had me wishfully thinking that I might be able to easily change dates or get a voucher.
I know, it was such a hassle to get these award flights and now we have to click that button to cancel them 😭😭

We're thinking of trying to rebook for around May/June next year and hoping this is all sorted by then. Probably have to go Syd to Hong Kong, then Doha, then London to get a Qatar flight. The Sydney to Doha flights have not been available in business for some time.
 

Battymum

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2013
Messages
139
I am not checking regularly - but sometimes there seems to be availability for 1 pax.

I am trying to convince DH that it would be ok to be on separate flights and wait five hours in DOH for the other to catch up.

or going ex PER on QR901 and one in F one in J (guess who would go F)

But in any case I need to cancel the current bookings and get my points back before I could book anything else.
Not ready to pull the trigger on that yet. So we will be looking at September 21.
 

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
I assume at some point Qantas will raise the amount of points needed for award flights too.

We will wait until it gets closer to cancel, but it's looking very unlikely that we will be able to go. Such a shame :)
 

Danger

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
6,396
I assume at some point Qantas will raise the amount of points needed for award flights too.

We will wait until it gets closer to cancel, but it's looking very unlikely that we will be able to go. Such a shame :)
Qantas only raised award prices seven or so months ago.
 

cjd600

Established Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2010
Messages
1,170
We just changed our OWA scheduled for August, now next late March thru April.

Had to replace SYD-DOH-CDG 4J Qsuites.
With SYD-HKG CX, HKG-DOH-CDG QR Qsuites.

About double surcharges of SYD-HKG-CDG on CX.....but need those Qsuites!
 

jaseblenner

Intern
Joined
Sep 21, 2011
Messages
83
We have 2pax booked in J on QR (award seats booked using QFF points) MEL-DOH-CDG (Aug 21), MUN-DOH,SIN (Oct 6)

The plan was 6 weeks between France, Spain, Greece, Italy, finishing up at Oktoberfest (which has now been formally cancelled for 2020) for my 30th.
With each passing day it looks more likely that this trip will be cancelled.
No comms from QF or QR as yet but I don't like our chances.
I've been keeping an eye on QR award seats for 12 months time, however it seems they are only releasing 1 J award seat per flight which is really disappointing.
 

KarenD

Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2018
Messages
117
We've basically come to the conclusion that it's all over. We were going to rebook for 2021 but have now decided to go to Japan in April 2021 instead (fingers crossed we can go!) so just looking into booking that now. We'll revisit Europe when things are well and truly settled down.
 

Community Statistics

Threads
85,704
Messages
2,035,371
Members
52,960
Latest member
Jan Coetzee
Top