Qantas Ultimate Amex: 30K bonus points + $200 off annual fee 1st year

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wasnt going to do another card this year, but what the hell.

This is a serious card for Qantas Frequent Flyer point collectors.
Uncapped points at 1.5 per dollar on everything plus bonuses on QF products.

For folks in Perth the flight from PER to an east coast city is worth more than the continuing fee.
I understand you may not get this if you are based along the east coast of Australia so your flight may be a shorter one.
Mrscove and I have managed to get the credit limits on both of our cards up to the maximum of 100k. If you have largish bills to put through by a particular date you do a count back of business days and pay the card to zero each 3 clear business days.
Now that is a bit more difficult than cashing a cheque straight into a Westpac platinum Kris Flyer Amex card but it still gets the job done.
Those 2 are my favorite 2 Amex cards.
Look you don't get sent champagne and chocolates ever but if you are used to doing a lot of travel planning by yourself then this card is a winner.

Quite tempting this offer.

But I've just cancelled 2 credit cards that were being used.

Pretty sure the annual fee isn't worth the 30K bonus points.

And I really don't travel with Qantas all that much...:-|

Quite tempting this offer.

But I've just cancelled 2 credit cards that were being used.

Pretty sure the annual fee isn't worth the 30K bonus points.

And I really don't travel with Qantas all that much...:-|
Think it has slightly more value than that given to get the QF flight you need only buy something in the Qantas shop and this you can do for under $10.

So the value equation would be $257.50 (just choosing a random product) buys a return economy flight plus 30K points.

Think it has slightly more value than that given to get the QF flight you need only buy something in the Qantas shop and this you can do for under $10.

So the value equation would be $257.50 (just choosing a random product) buys a return economy flight plus 30K points.

How I missed the complimentary flight is beyond me!

That reminds me though.. I'm still yet to buy something to redeem 2500pts on the Amex Discovery card.

If I were to apply/recieve this I would have 4 Amex cards (3 Personal/1 Business). Please tell me this is normal...:oops:

If I were to apply/recieve this I would have 4 Amex cards (3 Personal/1 Business). Please tell me this is normal...:oops:

Am just reading the small print...

1. To be eligible for all or part of the 30,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points offer you must be a new Card applicant who does not currently hold any of the Qantas American Express Card products

Anyone know what counts as "Qantas American Express Card products"? I have an ANZ branded QFF AMEX card and am wondering if I still qualify. I suspect they are referring to the these cards (link: American Express Qantas Hub RTP) but would like to be more certain before applying.

Firstly Hummel it is ok to be a little aggressive when it comes to making points to travel. So this is within the accepted range of normal on this AFF site of 25,000 members.
I view Bank branded cards as being underwritten by the issuing Bank. I don't believe Amex on a direct basis has visibility of an ANZ Amex card.
I would still call the Amex Ultimate phone number to check.
When you redeem the free flight you can pay them a bit to make the ticket up gradeable then use points to make it a J flight.I think it cost me $110 to make it a one way upgrade plus 16k of points to now have a retail value of about $1,900 to go PER-SYD in J. Before you know it you can get hooked on J travel on points.

Cove,

Thanks for your reassurance :)

Since joining I have had westpac Krisflyer, Platnium edge, Qantas discovery and most recently citibank platinum... I would still be with my low rate visa if not for this site :D

I think I'm going to take a wait and see approach on this one!

Hummell, I think you're ineligible for this offer if you've got a Qantas Discovery card. So if you applied you'd end up with the full fee and no points.

1. To be eligible for all or part of the 30,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points offer you must be a new Card applicant who does not currently hold any of the Qantas American Express Card products

6. To be eligible for the reduced annual Card fee of $250 for the first year you must be a new Card applicant who does not currently hold any of the Qantas American Express Card products

A bit of shame but that's how it goes!

Knew I shouldn't have applied for a lowly discovery card ;)

Citi is a capped card so there is a limit that you would not wish to breach if you are after frequent flyer points. Also it is a visa so it is pretty much accepted everywhere which is a big plus.
Amex Ultimate is an uncapped points card which has travel insurance,an annual free flight,the bonus start points if you are eligible of 30k and a point and a half per dollar rewards scheme.
For anyone thinking of very large transactions on Amex this card could feature as a biggie in your points earning. You get a card that can earn better points than the Amex Centurian card in a big year.
You don't get sent champagne and chocolates from Amex Ultimate but it remains up the top of my list of Qantas points earning cards even without the enrollment bonuses .

1. Established elgibility for 30K bonus.
2. Applied online, despite already having an AMEX Platinum card. Had to repeat all the financial detail etc. 15 minutes to complete online application.
3. Result = we will get back to you!

So much for a response in 60 seconds. The don't call us, we will call you response took over 3 minutes!!

Similar process at WhichBank last week, all over the telephone - 3 minutes in total!

But all up, not much effort to gain 30,000 bonus points!

Hummell, I think you're ineligible for this offer if you've got a Qantas Discovery card. So if you applied you'd end up with the full fee and no points.

I specifically addressed this issue with the Platinum concierge, who told me I was eligible and then at my request rechecked and confirmed that I was eligible for the points bonus and reduced fee! We shall see...

anyone have a ballpark timeframe as to when you can redeem the free flight after being accepted?

also, the T&C's state that flights from melb are limited to Syd, Bris and Adel - is this correct (T&C seems to be from 2006)?
I recall seeing a flashy amex pic somewhere which seemed to have more routes listed?

cheers

Yes soundczech one of the few wins for WA based card holders is the flight offered goes further so we go to Sydney from Perth. I hear your pain if you are based in say MEL or SYD and your free flight is a 60 minute deal each way.
I have used the free flight twice and I did not rush to use it like after one week but the call centre on the 1800 phone number are very helpful. In fact I made my Sydney return flight into a one way upgradeable ticket which I upgraded for cash and points ($110 plus 16k points) to get great retail value ex PER.
I think the flight restriction ex MEL and SYD seems to be about two hours but if you don't ask you don't get a great prize.

I have used the free flight twice and I did not rush to use it like after one week but the call centre on the 1800 phone number are very helpful. In fact I made my Sydney return flight into a one way upgradeable ticket which I upgraded for cash and points ($110 plus 16k points) to get great retail value ex PER.

Cove, are you saying you managed to barter the return ticket with Amex into a one way in an upgradeable class? Are they open to changing the return Economy flight out from the ones listed in the terms with different destinations/fare combinations of a similar value? Received my Ultimate card today; would be great news if this is the case.

Also, I assume the default free QF flight is non upgradeable but earns points/SC's?

Yes it cost me like $110 and 16,000 points to get the one way into a J one way then I did a 44k point J return leg going PER-SYD-PER.
The 60,000 points cost about $500 plus $110 of real money to create a retail value of about $3,900 so I thought that was an ok thing to do.
I didn't want to go coach and yes I got it changed using a nice phone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back