QANTAS announces direct BNE-ORD / BNE-SFO | Page 4 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

QANTAS announces direct BNE-ORD / BNE-SFO

Brettmcg

Flights
My Map
Qantas is set to grow its network in the United States, with the national carrier confirming it will fly directly from Brisbane to Chicago and San Francisco upon approval of its joint business with American Airlines from the United States Department of Transportation (DOT).

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
The press release doesn't say anything about flight timings or frequency, but there are some numbers that we can use to work it out.
It lists the new flights will make BNE-US to 14 weekly and AU-SFO to 14 weekly.

Currently 10 weekly AU-SFO (6 SYD, 4 MEL), so add 4 weekly from BNE

Currently 10 weekly BNE-LAX. 4 weekly for both SFO and ORD seems unlikely. Likely a drop of the second 3 weekly LAX flight (55/56), adding 4 weekly to SFO and 3 weekly to ORD.

jase05

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
10000% percent. I strongly suspect most people given a choice and all other things equal would pick direct.
Depending on class of course. 6 hours in Y is the absolute maximum my body can tolerate and even that is pushing it

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Depending on class of course. 6 hours in Y is the absolute maximum my body can tolerate and even that is pushing it
I started getting W and J tickets for flights over ~2 hours because my knees don't like Y anymore.

jakeseven7

Qantas is set to grow its network in the United States, with the national carrier confirming it will fly directly from Brisbane to Chicago and San Francisco upon approval of its joint business with American Airlines from the United States Department of Transportation (DOT).

Hopefully this is enough to satisfy the nervous nellies upthread :)

DC3

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Finally, the QF announcement, today. :)

HS-TQE

Well the frequencies ex-BNE has been sorted.
BNE-SFO: x3 weekly (replacing QF55/56)
BNE-ORD: x4 weekly
BNE-LAX-JFK: Daily

QF55/56 BNE-LAX-BNE will be cancelled to accomodate the SFO and ORD flying.

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
QF uses QF1-199 for own metal international. Here's a list. Might be missing a few, mainly NZ/South Pacific flights.
QF45 MEL-DPS
QF46 DPS-MEL
QF47
QF48
QF49 MEL-SFO
QF50 SFO-MEL
QF51 BNE-SIN
QF52 SIN-BNE
QF53
QF54
QF55 BNE-LAX
QF56 LAX-BNE
QF57 BNE-POM
QF58 POM-BNE
QF59
QF60
QF61 BNE-NRT
QF62 NRT-BNE
I think we might see two of these available number pairs, or 55/56 (with the 3 weekly LAX flight going), for the BNE-ORD and BNE-SFO flights.

Himeno

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Well the frequencies ex-BNE has been sorted.
BNE-SFO: x3 weekly (replacing QF55/56)
BNE-ORD: x4 weekly
BNE-LAX-JFK: Daily

QF55/56 BNE-LAX-BNE will be cancelled to accomodate the SFO and ORD flying.

Has QF actually said that? Because 3x SFO and 4x ORD does not fit with the claim in the QF media release of 14 weekly BNE-US and 14 weekly AU-SFO. In order to match what the QF release has said, it needs to be daily BNE-LAX (with aircraft continuing to JFK as extension of SYD flight), 4 weekly BNE-SFO and 3 weekly BNE-ORD for 14 weekly BNE-US (while existing 6 weekly SYD-SFO and 4 weekly MEL-SFO along with new 4 weekly BNE-SFO makes 14 weekly AU-SFO)

ozfflyer

press release is up

BNE-ORD and SFO confirmed. To start in April.
the distance BNE/SFO is less than BNE/LAX & SFO seems to be a much better planned airport & has hire cars on the airport train line. Pity it can't start before Arpil.

HS-TQE

Has QF actually said that? Because 3x SFO and 4x ORD does not fit with the claim in the QF media release of 14 weekly BNE-US and 14 weekly AU-SFO.
SFO frequencies are 7x (Daily) ex-SYD, 4x ex-MEL and the recently announced 3x ex-BNE. For a total of 14x AU-SFO frequencies. SYD would move to daily full time (with the smaller 789) when the 744s retire.

The MEL/BNE SFO flights are to also compensate for the loss of capacity on SYD-SFO when the 744s retire.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fosking