Pre-load AMEX Velocity Escape to make large payment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Does anyone know if you can pre-load AMEX credit cards in order to make payments greater than the credit limit?

Just been approved for the AMEX Velocity Escape card with a relatively low credit limit. Need to make payments totalling almost triple the credit limit. Can I transfer cash from my bank account to "increase" my credit limit to make these payments?

I read an old thread (2010) that talked about this very issue which indicates that pre-loading is not allowed for AMEX, but allowed for some bank branded cards.

Any recent experience?

Also, what is the fastest way to make a payment into AMEX (i.e. to pay off the balance)?

Thanks!

Hi all

Does anyone know if you can pre-load AMEX credit cards in order to make payments greater than the credit limit?

Just been approved for the AMEX Velocity Escape card with a relatively low credit limit. Need to make payments totalling almost triple the credit limit. Can I transfer cash from my bank account to "increase" my credit limit to make these payments?

I read an old thread (2010) that talked about this very issue which indicates that pre-loading is not allowed for AMEX, but allowed for some bank branded cards.

Any recent experience?

Also, what is the fastest way to make a payment into AMEX (i.e. to pay off the balance)?

Thanks!

You could always call to speak with a supervisor about a 'one of purchase clearance'. If denied ask them to hold while you make a BPay transfer and provide the reference number. Send a screen cap and cross fingers.

I always operate my Platinum Edge in 'positive territory' (a debit balance, where they owe me money) and AMEX have never said a thing to me. I would ring customer service if there are any doubts but I believe the OP should be fine with what they are proposing in the short term.

I'd try to get anything in writing within your account. I preload my BW MC all the time, haven't tried it on AMEX. I'd be saying to them that I may take my business elsewhere if they decline. Worth a try.

I did this about 6 months ago, putting in about three times over my limit and I had a call from Amex. They will allow this if you let them know in advance and advise them as to the nature of your transactions to be. Apparently there are some difficulties to do with money laundering regulations if you try to load too much. Ring them first and save the pain, as I had quite bit of trouble getting this approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back