Please help a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

axle01

Hi as you can see I'm new here today, i have a couple of questions that I'm not sure what to do.

(1) I have over 200000 points on my Amex rewards Maximiser card which will cease at the end of this month, i also have 90000 points on a ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa card and about 40000 in Virgin Velocity points that was acumulated from flights with Virgin and transfering points to get the 25% bonus, what i need to know is should i transfer the 200000 into the Qantas membership or split it with Qantas and Virgin.
We have intentions of doing an overseas trip in about 5 years.
We do approx $3500 in transactions every month.

(2) What card should i apply for to replace the Amex card that i have now.
Where i spend my money it is getting harder and harder to use an Amex card, is there a Visa that has a 1pt for $1 spent and has reasonably low yearly fees.

Appreciate any help thanks.

Alan

Welcome Alan
things to consider.
-where do you want to travel to in 5 yrs time and how many seats and in what class and from which airport? Eg if you want to travel in business class and require more than 2 tickets from Melbourne then forget qantas as your carrier. Virgin Atlantic only fly from Sydney to europe and also forget the 3 seats in business. Many foreign carriers like SQ dont do domestic travel within Australia.
-You monthly spend of 3500 =63000 AMEX points/yr or 105000 points more over 5 yrs compared to a 1:1 visa/mc card. That's alot of points to not have!
-If you want a 1:1 visa/mc then CBA plat or citibank gold or plat will work. Not sure about the post 31/3 transfers to QF though
Cheers Danger UXB

the anz visa is already a 1:1 visa just with a restrictive monthly cap. You could upgrade that to the middle anz ff visa. Or if going with velocity there is a NAB velocity visa.

Personally I have an Amex card and anz visa and spill my spending

Welcome Alan
things to consider.
-where do you want to travel to in 5 yrs time and how many seats and in what class and from which airport? Eg if you want to travel in business class and require more than 2 tickets from Melbourne then forget qantas as your carrier. Virgin Atlantic only fly from Sydney to europe and also forget the 3 seats in business. Many foreign carriers like SQ dont do domestic travel within Australia.
-You monthly spend of 3500 =63000 AMEX points/yr or 105000 points more over 5 yrs compared to a 1:1 visa/mc card. That's alot of points to not have!
-If you want a 1:1 visa/mc then CBA plat or citibank gold or plat will work. Not sure about the post 31/3 transfers to QF though
Cheers Danger UXB
Thanks mate for your reply.

We (2) will be going to America for our overseas trip probably leaving from Brisbane, Qantas or Virgin it doesn't matter, at this stage if we have the points it will be business but if points are limited - ecomony.

You mention that having the 1.5pts/$1 Amex card will give me approx an extra 105000 points over the 5 years but that comes at a price of $395 a year which i'm reluctant to pay so i'm resigned to the fact that 1pt/$1 card is what i will end up with.
The Amex Gold card has 1/1 for a fee of $49 a year but i'm not sure if it is capped also limited places to use it, then i could go with the NAB Visa card that is linked to Virgin if i'm correct which doesn't bother me.

I'll have a look at the CBA and Citibank cards as you advised.

Thanks again.

Alan

the anz visa is already a 1:1 visa just with a restrictive monthly cap. You could upgrade that to the middle anz ff visa. Or if going with velocity there is a NAB velocity visa.

Personally I have an Amex card and anz visa and spill my spending
Mate i appreciate your reply also.

I always use the Amex whenever possible but when i have to use the ANZ Visa it bugs me when i reach the $1500 limit and the points are then halved, i'll have a look at the ANZ card you mention.

Alan

Hi Alan
I understand the amex fee thing it costs but you do get points+++.
Carriers to the US take your pick. Read the velocity section thred on how many points for j class travel. It may make you stay with the red rat. See qantas web site for direct sweep cards for after 31/3.
Check out westpac altitude and earth cards I think they allow amex and visa/mc connected to the same points account(not sure about that statement) not sure on fees or conversion rate.
You don't have long so good luck with the reasearch
Danger UXB

Mate i appreciate your reply also.

I always use the Amex whenever possible but when i have to use the ANZ Visa it bugs me when i reach the $1500 limit and the points are then halved, i'll have a look at the ANZ card you mention.

Alan
Yep, the $1500 also annoyed me that's why I upgraded to the ANZ Gold FF visa.
As for the $395 fee. If you decide to stick with qantas, then you can get better and cheaper earn rates from direct sweep cards. For example the Earth Platinum is $250 per year, 1.5 points on the AMEX and (but) 0.5 points (I think) on the linked MC.

The middle level direct Qantas amex is about $250 as well, I think and earns 1.25 per dollar. There is also a NAB gold and platinum qantas card produce, AMEX and visa linked. But only earning $1 per dollar or less.

Yep, the $1500 also annoyed me that's why I upgraded to the ANZ Gold FF visa.
As for the $395 fee. If you decide to stick with qantas, then you can get better and cheaper earn rates from direct sweep cards. For example the Earth Platinum is $250 per year, 1.5 points on the AMEX and (but) 0.5 points (I think) on the linked MC.

The middle level direct Qantas amex is about $250 as well, I think and earns 1.25 per dollar. There is also a NAB gold and platinum qantas card produce, AMEX and visa linked. But only earning $1 per dollar or less.
Thanks MrHead but i'm not sure what you mean by "linked MC"

I rang Amex yesterday and the lady told me that i can continue to use the Amex card i have and will still receive 1.5 points per $1 spent but the points i get after the 1st April i will not be able to transfer to QFF but i can transfer them to Virgin Velocity so i can still leave them where they are if i don't want to fly Qantas.
Can anyone comfirm this is correct.
I am thinking of putting 1/2 into each.

Alan

I rang Amex yesterday and the lady told me that i can continue to use the Amex card i have and will still receive 1.5 points per $1 spent but the points i get after the 1st April i will not be able to transfer to QFF but i can transfer them to Virgin Velocity so i can still leave them where they are if i don't want to fly Qantas.
Can anyone comfirm this is correct.
I am thinking of putting 1/2 into each.

Alan

all points to qff need to get there by 31/3/09 after that no points can go to qff without a direct sweep card( there are a few minor exceptions to this rule). amex mr points can continue to go to velocity, krisflyer etc after 1/4/09
Cheers Danger UXB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back