Platinum Charge - International Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktan89

Might be a dumb question but I'll never know if I don't ask.
I'm about to make a big purchase (engagement ring) and I want to buy it from someone in the USA (San Fran).
Any chance asking Amex to waive the 3% international fee once off? Haha
Has anyone ever tried?
I do have cards that won't charge int fees but I want to use my Plat card for the points and hopefully purchase protection? 😅
It sucks they charge AUS PLAT card int. Fees but the US plat cars is 0 fees.

Any payment programs that can by pass this with a lower transaction fee? 3% is bloody high :(

I have never heard they waived fx fees before. Why don’t you use other visa or master cards that don’t charge fx fee like CBA Ultimate, BankWest if you don’t want to pay fx fee?

They won’t waive it. They will continue to price to the local market. As long as other premium cards are charging it, so will Amex.

Aside from getting one of the cards in @tlam’s post, is to get a US issued card if you don’t already have one, you have the time to do so and it makes sense for your circumstances.

Yeah I have an ANZ Travel card and Citibank card with 0 FX fees but want to generate amex points instead (better for me).

@albyd Care to share the easiest way to get an US issued card? I was looking at one of the threads last year but got way too complicated. Don't we need a social security number, etc?

Can Get a US card if you have a US address. Can apply using Amex Global Transfer Program as long as you've had your AU Amex for long enough and they can use your history with Amex AU to assess it. Won't need SSN - just your passport and a US address to receive mail. Agree, the thread is quite long now. That's effectively the gist of it.

I've got the US Green Charge - works for me. Consider which product works best for you and the on-going AF and earn rate for the categories you mostly spend on. You might be able to get a Sign up Bonus depending on the product you apply for. Get familiar with the bonus rules as they're different to AU. Also US MR is separate to AU MR - it's more valuable IMO - though also consider the exchange rate at approx $US0.71.

Last edited:
Can Get a US card if you have a US address. Can apply using Amex Global Transfer Program as long as you've had your AU Amex for long enough and they can use your history with Amex AU to assess it. Won't need SSN - just your passport and a US address to receive mail. Agree, the thread is quite long now. That's effectively the gist of it.

That seems prettt simple. I assume we don't get the bonus sign up offers right?
With the amex global transfer, does the original card (aus) stop working?

Now, does anyone have a US address for me to use? Haha

Have a look at the US site for more information on a US card which might be suitable:

Sign up Bonus (SUB) offers are once per product per "lifetime" - so theoretically, you can earn multiple SUB.
Best to use US address for someone you know or get a mail forwarding address eg with MyUS. Amex have flagged some services as "commercial" so those services will be picked up and rejected. Probably best to read the thread on AFF devoted to this as it has alot of good information:

Depending on the card you get, if its premium, it will be couried to your US address otherwise posted. If the service that you choose does not accept postal mail, then it will be rejected. There's a bit to it - best source of info on this is the specific thread.

You get to keep your AU card with Global Transfer (GT), they just use your AU Amex history to make a credit decision whereas you'd normally be an "unknown" in the US so wouldn't get accepted for a card without a credit file.

No idea if thus is of any help, if it is available in Australia or even if you can make it work in your circumstances. UK site so need to bear that in mind for the commentary

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back