Plat edge $99 .. hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moopere

Established Member
Finally got Amex to show me some love and fling me a proper Amex as opposed to the co-branded things I've been using. Anyway, all pretty smooth, card turned up along with the first months statement ha! You have to laugh at that, before the card is even activated I owe them money.

Anyhoo, the current "Special" is 25K points, free domestic flight, free membership to Ascent, $149/year. My statement however is for $99 ....

What the?

I'm almost to frightened to ring in case they change it back to $149.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at what might be going on there? I took screenshots, as I always do now, of the orginial web page, cost, benefits, etc, so I feel pretty safe, but smells a bit fishy to be getting a discount like this right from the getgo.

My platinum edge is $99 a year with same benefits - but from memory it was clearly listed as $99 when I switched Amex cards a few months ago?

My platinum edge is $99 a year with same benefits - but from memory it was clearly listed as $99 when I switched Amex cards a few months ago?

Great! Good to hear I'm not the only one and it may be legit and not a mistake. Heres the link though:

American Express®

and a snippet from that page:

Fees:
  • Introductory interest rate of 0% p.a. for the first 6 months after your first Card spend[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Interest rate of 20.74% p.a. thereafter[SUP]9[/SUP]
  • Annual Card fee only $149 p.a.

Always happy to get a discount. Just wondered if maybe I'd been signed up for something different to what I wanted ... this happened to me earlier in the year when I went for a Citi Plat card, they simply sent me a Gold instead and said congrats.

Great! Good to hear I'm not the only one and it may be legit and not a mistake. Heres the link though:

American Express®

[/LIST]

Always happy to get a discount. Just wondered if maybe I'd been signed up for something different to what I wanted ... this happened to me earlier in the year when I went for a Citi Plat card, they simply sent me a Gold instead and said congrats.

I can't explain your fee?? - its in your favor so just enjoy!! BTW the free flight with VA is very much more available than my previous Amex which had a free QA flight ( bit I could never seem to get a flight when I wanted).

I can't explain your fee?? - its in your favor so just enjoy!! BTW the free flight with VA is very much more available than my previous Amex which had a free QA flight ( bit I could never seem to get a flight when I wanted).
Interesting comment as I've never had an issue getting the flight with either. :D

American Express®

[/LIST]Always happy to get a discount. Just wondered if maybe I'd been signed up for something different to what I wanted ... this happened to me earlier in the year when I went for a Citi Plat card, they simply sent me a Gold instead and said congrats.
you are lucky if you got offered a reduced fee take it. So is it now possible for existing Amex card holders to do a product transfer to this Edge card and get the annual fee reduced to $99? i though the only way to get the $99 annual fee was to apply for one of the affinity cards. Also is it true if you have a Amex gold charge card you can request a complimentary Plat edge card free?

Last edited:
you are lucky if you got offered a reduced fee take it. So is it now possible for existing Amex card holders to do a product transfer to this Edge card and get the annual fee reduced to $99? i though the only way to get the $99

The thought occurs that might be what happened. I have a couple of other co-banded "Amex" cards. Still, I think its a long bow to draw as this was never explained, or inferred by anyone and I still have the other bank issued cards.....

Yep, I'd just keep quiet. The $99 fee is normally for professional association affinity cards. But that card would also normally display the association. Prob their mistake. Bonus! :D

Now that the flight is with Virgin Aus, are you supposed to get food with the flight? The hostie on my flight wasn't sure...

Now that the flight is with Virgin Aus, are you supposed to get food with the flight? The hostie on my flight wasn't sure...

I don't believe so. There's no mention of food being included anywhere on the Amex website and there was no mention of it on my itinerary when I took my first flight a few weeks ago, nor was I offered food on board.

On my itinerary it says Food/Bev-Pur

Not sure if that means I have to purchase it or if it is already purchased?

Will ring AMEX tomorrow.

I asked if you could upgrade these flights to J and apparently you can (via website in the normal upgrade way). Haven't looked at the differential cost in $ or points yet but it might be a half decent and still relatively cheap flight inc of food + other amenities

I can't even book a seat on line with the free ticket. Seems everything has to be done via AMEX. I have a ticket booked, but can't access the info online :(

I can't even book a seat on line with the free ticket. Seems everything has to be done via AMEX. I have a ticket booked, but can't access the info online :(
I had to book with Amex by phone- if you quote your velocity number with Amex at the time of booking you can then access your flight on line. Hope this helps.

I had to book with Amex by phone- if you quote your velocity number with Amex at the time of booking you can then access your flight on line. Hope this helps.

You can access your flight online in any case. Changing/upgrading it is another thing! Even if you quote your Velocity number, I understand that you will still be unable to amend any details, as it was booked by Amex.

You can access your flight online in any case. Changing/upgrading it is another thing! Even if you quote your Velocity number, I understand that you will still be unable to amend any details, as it was booked by Amex.

Yes, I'm sure you are right. But the CSR who rang me to welcome me to Amex said you could, I doubted and questioned so he went off to his supervisor and apparently yes, you can, via the Velocity website. Of course I'm used to call centres really not knowing whats going on so nothing would surprise me.

The plat edge flight I booked at the start of 2011 could not be changed on the virgin website. It appeared in my list of bookings, but if I clicked on the view/change button I got an error. This was most annoying as I wanted to double check the flight details.

You have to laugh at that, before the card is even activated I owe them money.

Anyhoo, the current "Special" is 25K points, free domestic flight, free membership to Ascent, $149/year. My statement however is for $99 ....

Current offer also include 0% interest on purchases for 6 months from date of first spend on the card. Does this mean that the $99 fee owing is not included in this interest free offer?

mine is $99 through professional etc etc

But my sister had her renewal fee waived for the next card up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back