Paypal and DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

glasszon

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Just a PSA, Paypal has changed the terms and conditions in September last year and you can no longer use the "classic" site to change the DCC setting on credit cards. Make sure if you pay using Visa/MC in foreign currency, that you select to let your card to do the conversion and not Paypal's DCC rate.

Also note even if in the past you have selected to opt out of DCC using the classic site, now the default setting for subscriptions is to always enable DCC, and I haven't yet figured out a way to not get stung by it for the first charge as you can only change the settings after the initial subscription setup. Recently got stung when I sign up for myUS and thought I am save as my card was grandfathered under the classic site.

tl dr: make sure you always check to ensure you are paying in native currency for your credit card on Paypal for each payment and for each new subscription. I know it goes without saying, but Paypal is now making it harder and harder to opt out of DCC.

Apparently Visa/MC only requires vendor to have DCC opt-out capability for point-of-sale purchases and doesn't cover online purchases, so Paypal is not obliged to offer the option to opt-out of DCC when you use it online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back