Ouch, another closed QFF account.

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by markis10, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    This weeks SMH letters has yet another case of lost points on death of a member. PINs etc should be a part of a will these days.

Read more: Traveller letters: Thanks for the disloyalty, Qantas

2. zainman

zainman Established Member

Jan 31, 2012
    MEL & KHI
    Saw this yesterday, sad. Shouldn't have called QF to let them know!

3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Use them or lose them?

I have been thinking about this lately. A lot of points will disappear if something happened to me. Parents too old to travel and my brother has never been in a plane and has no interest in flying.

4. Mwenenzi

Mwenenzi Established Member

May 17, 2006
    MEL
    Not if you send me your ff number & password :idea:

• Like Like x 7
  5. Limewood

Limewood Established Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Cairns
    There are a few of us related to JohnK :)

But thinking about this seriously I'll have my QFF details added to my will (via JP at shopping centre).

6. SpudOz

SpudOz Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Perth
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    My husband and I have the same passwords for QFF. If he kicks the buckets, his points are mine!! Bwhahahaha

• Like Like x 10
  7. Princess Fiona

May 22, 2009
    NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    The T&C's are quite clear on this.
    QFF are a business not a charity.
    Perhaps could have been handled more sympathetically by the call centre than is portrayed in the letter though but the outcome would be the same.

• Like Like x 3
  8. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    but banks aren't a charity either... and they just can't seize property for themselves once a customer dies.

• Like Like x 7
  9. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think it might be difficult to argue that FF points are property .... but I'll leave that up the experts. But in any event a better analogy is that VA is also not a charity, but they give executors 12 months to advise what to do with Velocity points of deceased members. The message is simple, if you are worried what will happen upon death, make sure you leave your PIN (and instructions not to tell QF) with someone OR just accumulate Velocity points instead.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Princess Fiona

May 22, 2009
    NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    QFF isn't a bank and the T&C's are clear that the points expire on the death of the member. We can debate the rights or wrongs of that. Personally I think points should be able to be transferred, the only way to do this currently is before the death notification to QF.

8.3 Membership will terminate automatically on the death of a Member. Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the Member will be cancelled. Qantas Loyalty will close the Member's account on notification of the Member's death. Qantas Loyalty will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such cancellation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast

Well I was Johnk's partner.Who are all of you?
    OK it was just for 4 hours on a golf course but that certainly puts me higher up the chain right?

• Like Like x 5
  12. Clivem

Clivem Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Brisbane
    For the time being .......

• Like Like x 1
  13. zainman

zainman Established Member

Jan 31, 2012
    MEL & KHI
    Anyone know what sort of approach other airlines take to such matters? i.e, death of member..

14. Princess Fiona

May 22, 2009
    NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    VA already quoted above.
    AA requires legal/ wills to get involved and fees to be paid.
    BAEC cancels and forfeits all Avios on death same as QFF

15. amaroo

amaroo Senior Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    These things are unpleasant however, when you signed up your have to accept the T&C.

No different to many club memberships. The membership, value, $$'s expires with the member...

16. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    you do not necessarily accept the Terms and Conditions when you sign up to anything.

loss of benefits when a member dies I can understand. but total loss of points? may be unfair.

17. amaroo

amaroo Senior Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Good luck with that one.

Quite a few clubs where the loss of membership would be felt far more than any number of points.

• Like Like x 2
  18. medhead

medhead Suspended

Feb 13, 2008
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #18 medhead, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    The simple thing is to never notify Qantas of someone's death. There is also the hypothetical situation of the member telling you to use their points to book yourself a nice flight but then suddenly dying before you can do so. I think it is entirely reasonable to not inform Qantas until after the flight has been booked.

• Like Like x 7
  19. mannej

mannej Senior Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Perth
    There have been occasions where QF has been notified by the deceased member's place of work. That was an interesting thread to say the least.

20. medhead

medhead Suspended

Feb 13, 2008
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I recall and I still believe that the place of work has no right to make such a notification as the timing of such notifications are entirely within the rights of the family to determine who they tell. Having said that I also understand that refunding a work paid flight was at issue, but that doesn't give the employer the right to unilateral notify of death. I suspect that some low level functionary was told to get the money refunded and then did so by disclosing information above their pay grade.