Non-ATO government spend

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone’s current recommendation for a card for non-ATO govt spend? I think I’ve been spoiled by the dying embers of bank-issued AMEX, as they didn’t differentiate. Particularly I’m looking for a way to pay Council-owned childcare (they accept AMEX fee free) and Transport for NSW (Opal) direct debit. I was preciously able to get a card, meet min spend and get bonus points with a month’s childcare payments.

AMEX Plat Edge only pays 0.5 ppd and isn’t accepted by Opal
Coles MC has stopped paying out anything govt related
Westpac, NAB and ANZ have either dumped AMEX or govt spend

Anything else still worth it? Or is just the Dragon? Prefer MR, KF and Velocity over Qantas but not hugely fussy.

Never tried it myself, but I think you can top up Opal at Woolies?

Amex explorer = for all transactions ( exclude ato spend ).
Amex p edge = for all transactions at woolish, coles, including opal recharge.
Stg dragon = for all transactions which dont accept amex.

ing, 28d, citibank = for oveseas transactions

Above 3 are my main cards.

Amex explorer = for all transactions ( exclude ato spend ).
Amex p edge = for all transactions at woolish, coles, including opal recharge.
Stg dragon = for all transactions which dont accept amex.

ing, 28d, citibank = for oveseas transactions

Above 3 are my main cards.

What does ING do for overseas spend?

What does ING do for overseas spend?

ATM cash withdrawal - No fees. ING will rebate any ATM Fees. Citibank Dont.

Got it. A back up to Citibank then where there isn't a friendly ATM available.

Which leads me to wonder whether I need to drop my CitiBank a/c and swap it for an ING a/c instead.
If ING will rebate ant ATM fees, then (assuming all else is equal), it’s got to be the better product. e.g. most ATMs in VietNam* charge a local fee that CitiBank can’t avoid. If ING will refund that fee, then it’s a win for me.
Am I missing something?

*There are Aus Bank ATMs available that don’t charge a fee, and allow higher value withdrawals too. There may be other local fee free ATMs, but can’t recall them.

Which leads me to wonder whether I need to drop my CitiBank a/c and swap it for an ING a/c instead.
If ING will rebate ant ATM fees, then (assuming all else is equal), it’s got to be the better product. e.g. most ATMs in VietNam* charge a local fee that CitiBank can’t avoid. If ING will refund that fee, then it’s a win for me.
Am I missing something?

*There are Aus Bank ATMs available that don’t charge a fee, and allow higher value withdrawals too. There may be other local fee free ATMs, but can’t recall them.

I just checked the ING product page and worth noting the following:

Free ATMs everywhere in Australia - and at all the 3.5million+ ATMs around the world we'll rebate the ATM fee within 5 days - when you deposit $1,000 or more (and from March 2018, also make 5+ card purchases) each month.

I never make purchases with a debit card so this would not work for me because I would almost always forget to make the 5 purchases to qualify.

Got it. A back up to Citibank then where there isn't a friendly ATM available.

For me it's taken over from Citibank, though it's definitely good to have multiple options.

e.g. most ATMs in VietNam* charge a local fee that CitiBank can’t avoid.

Likewise Thailand - approximately $9.

I just checked the ING product page and worth noting the following:

See ING - No International Fees + Fee Free ATM Withdrawals Worldwide (Orange Everyday & Orange One)

I never make purchases with a debit card so this would not work for me because I would almost always forget to make the 5 purchases to qualify.

For the very useful benefit(s), I'm willing to play along. Card purchases include online purchases, and there are potential ways of gaming the system, but I'm not bothering with that.

I have been happy using Bankwest World in the UK as you get fair exchange rates and QF points.

Likewise Thailand - approximately $9.

Can't confirm for other countries but Thailand if there aren't any citi ATMs where you are (only a few unfortunately) withdraw over the counter at a bank branch. Only need passport and a few minutes = totally free.

Some branches won't do it but considering there is always 5 different branches in the vicinity it's very easy.

Amex Qantas Ultimate gives 0.5 points per $ for government spend, my Westpac Earth Black Mastercard still gives 0.625 points per $ on government spend (but you cant apply for this one anymore).

The other way to get points is if the government body accepts paypal, as then you link your preferred card to paypal, then pay bill by paypal.

I know NSW state government employees arent allowed to ear FF points on work related travel, not sure why most credit cards are now restricted from awarding points for government payments (and worse still some dont award points on utilities) - some of my biggest expenses are utlities and council rates - so I always try to get some points even if reduced.

For the very useful benefit(s), I'm willing to play along. Card purchases include online purchases, and there are potential ways of gaming the system, but I'm not bothering with that.

I agree. I’m off to both VietNam & Thailand late next month, so I’m happy to jump through their hoops so as to qualify for the ATM rebates. ATMs in both of these countries are a bit steep, and usually the maximum withdrawal limits are quite low...

Any hints on the best way to perform the 5 transactions per month manoeuvre would be greatly appreciated.
I’d happily create a macro to get it done all in one go at the start of each month, but I suspect that would probably trigger some ‘anti-abuse’ reaction. Any other low effort ideas?

Which credit card is best to pay largish TELSTRA bills? Our Westpac Kris Flyer Amex stops on April 3rd.

Which credit card is best to pay largish TELSTRA bills? Our Westpac Kris Flyer Amex stops on April 3rd.

I use my Amex Explorer for two KF points per dollar. Would be interested to hear of any better alternatives/

For the very useful benefit(s), I'm willing to play along. Card purchases include online purchases, and there are potential ways of gaming the system, but I'm not bothering with that.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I've saved much in fees since ING introduced this policy, including the flexibility of increasing the number of withdrawals (ie taking out less cash) knowing that the fees are refundable. In the past I'd take out a huge wad to avoid charges only to be left with unneeded shekels at the end of the trip. Now I withdrawal only what I need for the day in whatever city I'm in. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back