New Card - Rewards Advantage Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravoecho1

Received a letter from AMEX yesterday outlining a new charge card called the American Express Rewards Advantage Card.

From what I can see the difference is that post the QFF/MR changes this card will have QFF as a rewards partner whereas the Gold Charge card won't.

Has anyone else received this?

Yes, my husband received the letter about this card (he has a gold charge card). We have put it aside as it says he has until March 31 to decide.

We are waiting to see what options become available for our Citibank Visa before making any decision. It would be nice to have a QFF option on one of our cards although it is not a priority for us. I think other cards will become available as we get closer to the QFF changes so we will weigh up our options as they become available.

Yes, I've received that letter. I'm leaning towards taking up the offer since with the little travel I do these days, I don't want to be restricted to QF only.

Cost is higher than the Gold Charge card plus Ascent, but it is worth it for the added flexibility it provides, with a link to both *alliance and Oneworld.

Hmm - so basically QF says "no optional moving of points to QFF" and Amex bring out another more expensive card with that option. Seems a tad fishy to me...

Codash - if you don't want to be tied to QFF then the Gold Charge card will still transfer to Virgin Atlantic and *A partners.

I don't have the offer, but wonder how they implement it. Is it, for example, a way of getting access to Ascent Premium without the need to go down the Platinum Charge/Centurion path?

Hmm - so basically QF says "no optional moving of points to QFF" and Amex bring out another more expensive card with that option. Seems a tad fishy to me...

Codash - if you don't want to be tied to QFF then the Gold Charge card will still transfer to Virgin Atlantic and *A partners.
I get the feeling that Qantas didn't say "no optional moving ...", but said "if you want to have the option, the points will cost you more". That is why some cards are imposing a fee for people who want to retain the QF transfer option and some cards are offering a direct sweep or non-QF transfers. I expect the higher fee for this card is justified by higher charges by QF for transferring the points and the fact that some people are willing to pay a higher fee for the extra flexibility.

I don't have the offer, but wonder how they implement it. Is it, for example, a way of getting access to Ascent Premium without the need to go down the Platinum Charge/Centurion path?

Yes, the cost is $250 per year including Ascent Premium and improved travel insurance, according to the letter. It would be more suitable for us than Platinum Charge/Centurion.

It does say the Rewards Advantage Card is not available to the general public, so they must be sending out targetted letters.

True, but I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Unfortunately cake consumption and ownership come at a price...

Cake procurement can earn Amex points. Cake consumption is unlikely to directly earn Amex points.
Shades of Mr.Hewson!So I guess it depends on what sort of cake it is?

It does say the Rewards Advantage Card is not available to the general public, so they must be sending out targetted letters.

I too got the same letter, and noticed the part about it being an invitation only card. I thought I would test things out over the phone (to amex cust svc) and the 2 CSR's I spoke to at Amex said without an invitation you could not apply for the new Advantage card.

One thing that does have me curious, it appears as if the card looks the same as the Platinum card, without the Platinum text on it. Obviously this is purely based on the image on the letterhead, but I wonder if Amex are trying to sit this card between Gold & Platinum???

I also received this letter of invitation back in Nov 08, and at the time put it aside and decided not to think about it until closer to March. Time has come to start making some decisions....

I have a Gold Charge card - which was why I received this letter, and a QF Ultimate Card. I don't think I will keep the Ultimate Card as I am now more inclined to start moving points to KF or VS and therefore want the control over the points rather than a direct sweep. However I do like the earn rate of 1.5:1 that the Ultimate card provides, and upgrading to the new Rewards Advantage Card will still only provide 1:1.

So really I'm looking for a card that will provide control of the points and have 1.5:1 earn rate. Apart from Platinum Charge Card (I don't want to pay the annual fee) is there another card option available?

I get the feeling that Qantas didn't say "no optional moving ...", but said "if you want to have the option, the points will cost you more". That is why some cards are imposing a fee for people who want to retain the QF transfer option and some cards are offering a direct sweep or non-QF transfers. I expect the higher fee for this card is justified by higher charges by QF for transferring the points and the fact that some people are willing to pay a higher fee for the extra flexibility.
What you say sounds reasonable, but it doesn't ring quite right (true). A common thread for all the existing cards is that they are changing to only have QF as an airline option. Either direct sweep or pay extra for transfer to QF only option. I haven't followed the various AMEX Ascent options closely but the common thread is that it costs more to not direct sweep and QF must be the exclusive airline.

I think creation of this card must also have some element of QF realising that select customers (AMEX, premium cards and FFs) are rejecting their direct sweep grab. The very people who spend a lot flying and will have no hesitation switching to other airlines.

My not having got the card only confirms my thoughts.

What you say sounds reasonable, but it doesn't ring quite right (true). A common thread for all the existing cards is that they are changing to only have QF as an airline option. Either direct sweep or pay extra for transfer to QF only option. I haven't followed the various AMEX Ascent options closely but the common thread is that it costs more to not direct sweep and QF must be the exclusive airline.

Ascent Premium continues to offer the same options as Ascent did before. Optional transfers to a range of airline partners.

As only expensive cards seem to offer the option of having QANTAS and other airlines as an option, I think NM's hypothesis can still stand. QANTAS are saying that you can still offer it, but the cost is going to be higher and card issuers are passing that back to the owners.

Ascent Premium continues to offer the same options as Ascent did before. Optional transfers to a range of airline partners.

As only expensive cards seem to offer the option of having QANTAS and other airlines as an option, I think NM's hypothesis can still stand. QANTAS are saying that you can still offer it, but the cost is going to be higher and card issuers are passing that back to the owners.

I'm certainly not dismissing NM hypothesis, I think it's very good. But with the addition that QF are demanding that they be the exclusive airline.

Ascent Premium is only one program that costs a lot of money. I did a bit of research after my last post, while transfer to QF is apparently available for AMEX platinum cards (and other business cards etc.) after 1 Apr, it appears that is not the case for Platinum CC. So Plat Charge Card plus some business cards are all that will remain as non direct sweep QF transfer and other airline transfer.

There doesn't appear to be any other card that will still offer the choice of more than 1 airline. e.g. CBA awards you can either opt into direct sweep to QFF for a fee, or stay with CBA awards. You need to opt in and opt out each month to choose different airlines.

If it was just the matter of a higher fee by QF then I would expect some other cards that offer more then 1 airline for a higher fee. Instead the only personal card that has that cost $900 a year. So QF have tried to screw everyone that isn't a business or platinum charge person and this new card is due to them realising their best customers in the next rung down are not happy. IMO.

If it was just the matter of a higher fee by QF then I would expect some other cards that offer more then 1 airline for a higher fee.

Most other card issuers seem to have cards in the $200-300 range (e.g. CBA Plat Visa/Mastercard that was mentioned is only $200/year)

If a fee of $500 or $900 is the type of money that's required to make this venture successful, I doubt banks that are currently handing out $200 cards are suddenly going to start marketing $500 cards, with the only additional feature being airline partner choice (QFF + others).

Maybe if Visa/MC launch their top-tier cards here in Aus, that might be more likely to occur. But I don't see it happening with $200 "platinum" cards.

Most other card issuers seem to have cards in the $200-300 range (e.g. CBA Plat Visa/Mastercard that was mentioned is only $200/year)

If a fee of $500 or $900 is the type of money that's required to make this venture successful, I doubt banks that are currently handing out $200 cards are suddenly going to start marketing $500 cards, with the only additional feature being airline partner choice (QFF + others).

Maybe if Visa/MC launch their top-tier cards here in Aus, that might be more likely to occur. But I don't see it happening with $200 "platinum" cards.
I think your missing the point no other card company has started to offer a card that isn't exclusively to QF in the $200-$300 dollar range.

Pricing of the annual fee for the AMEX cards hasn't changed. So no I'm not suggesting that $500 to $900 is the price required. Just noting that at that price people still have the option.

If it was simply a matter of a fee increase, then the $200 to $300 platinum cards would be turning into $250 to $350 cards with the option of multiple airlines, instead of turning into direct sweep cards. Strangely just in the price point of this new AMEX that has onlt been introduced after quiet a bit of market research and pushing to get people to move points to QF.

Hopefully, other providers will get the same option to offer similar cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back