Jetstar Platinum MasterCard points cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFlyer

Established Member
From JQ website:

"Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases until 23 October 2016. From 24 October 2016, you will earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases for the first $2,500 spent per statement period, then 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent for the remainder of that statement period"

Now the same as the HSBC QFF Visa and the Woolies card. Looks like the cap of 100k points per year remains too.

Ah, many thanks for the heads-up...and just after a successful credit limit increase as well. Shame! So long Jetstar MC; now begins the hunt for a mastercard or visa with a more generous points capping/shaping arrangement.

With the additional fee to enroll in the QFF points offerings this may make Jetstar a non starter for credit card sign ups.

Last edited:
From JQ website:

"Earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases until 23 October 2016. From 24 October 2016, you will earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases for the first $2,500 spent per statement period, then 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent for the remainder of that statement period"

Now the same as the HSBC QFF Visa and the Woolies card. Looks like the cap of 100k points per year remains too.

Wonder what happens on the first statement period that crosses over the 23/24th? For example, my statement period rolls over today (26th) and I already have over $2500 in charges that didn't make it on my last statement. Are the points calculated as I earn them (meaning that I will still get 1ppd until the 24th, after which it will go down to 0.5ppd until the end of this statement cycle), or are they calculated at the end of the statement cycle (so I may be earning 0.5ppd already)?

Bugger, I was going to keep this card for a while :(

Hmmm...pity, been a good card but bye bye. Rarely go under $2500 a month. Lots of choices out there and another opportunity to get some bonus points.

the points are earnt on the transaction date, and based on the current monthly spend so far at the cutover date. So if you've already done $2500, then all subsequent points from 24th will be 0.5pt/dollar

Increase in annual fee from $149 to $169 at the same time. Love this enhancements cutting earn rate, earn vendors and increasing the card fee.

Bye bye Jetstar Platinum time to go bonus point hunting

So are there any visa or MasterCard deals out there with uncapped QF frequent flyer point earns? I have used this card to pay school fees for the last year. School only accepts visa or MasterCard so Amex deals no good for this purpose.

The BankWest Platinum card is 0.5 point per $ on everything incl ATO. AFAIK it is uncapped. There is / was a 50K QF sign on bonus. BW has an on line chat so you could ask them. Does the school accept PayPal that could be linked to an Amex?

So are there any visa or MasterCard deals out there with uncapped QF frequent flyer point earns? I have used this card to pay school fees for the last year. School only accepts visa or MasterCard so Amex deals no good for this purpose.

The BankWest Platinum card is 0.5 point per $ on everything incl ATO. AFAIK it is uncapped. There is / was a 50K QF sign on bonus. BW has an on line chat so you could ask them. Does the school accept PayPal that could be linked to an Amex?
As far as I know PayPal is not on their list of options but maybe I should ask their finance dept to consider it. Will have a look at bank west Platinum but was hoping for 1:1 uncapped earn.

Damn ..... now the task of finding a Visa/Mastercard that will provide 1 point per dollar without limitation of $2500. Would appreciate any suggestions.

I spotted that too and opened a thread.

Have sent them an email to ascertain if they also plan on downgrading their points structure though because this has happened to me three times in the past year with Citibank, Macquarie and now Jetstar.

I would expect that the reply you will get is "not at this stage" and then a review will be under way. WBC are currently reviewing the QF card as are ANZ and NAB given the next tranche of interchange reductions are due to hit next year.

Given that all financial institutions have the same revenue drivers and costs in the cards issuing business I would take it as a given that the new normal is one of 2 realities;

1) 1:1 on spend up to $2500 the 2:1 with a cap (Citibank)
2) 0.5 ish points per dollar spent

Also B pay out and ATO payments to be clipped or removed and higher ancillary fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back