Is the Com Bank Gold card good value ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjbrian

I have had the Gold card for some time, used it a lot and have never used any reward yet.
So - today I thought I would see what I can get.

The answer - Not much.....

Is this good value, should I change card?

Ideas?

Brian.

That's an easy one to answer. No.
Best value visa and MasterCard include

Citibank Platinum
Citibusiness Gold
Woolworths Everyday Rewards
Jetstar Platinum MasterCard

What so you want to do with your points?

Before joining this forum I had a CBA Gold for many many years. Joined the forum, soaked up some knowledge and pretty soon realised, as you have, that the big 4 banks seldom release a decent points/rewards earning product, certainly not at the mid or lower tiers anyway.

As DeKa suggests, first thing to do is not grab any card randomly. Have a think about what you want to do and what points with the various schemes might be worth to you. For example, no point gathering QFF points if you intend to fly Virgin or Star Alliance. Equally, no good ending up with a Citi Skywards card unless your travel is going to be with Emirates.

Having flexibility can be good, don't bypass a good hard investigation of the various Amex cards before you make a decision. Note that the most flexible arrangement is usually with Amex direct, not via a big bank companion Amex card. If you do this you will end up accruing "Membership Rewards" (MR) points held with Amex which you can then transfer to 8 (or 9) different frequent traveller programs and is very flexible.

A few things to think about and have an answer for in your own mind before deciding on a card or cards:

- Domestic or international travel? Or both? Where am I likely to go in the next 1-2 years? Who flys there? OneWorld? StarAlliance? Skyteam?

- Are you likely to redeem your points for Economy class travel or Business (or First) class?

- Have a think about how many points you are likely to earn (ie; whats your annual spend). Then think about your redemption opportunities in the class of travel you'd normally select. Try to get an idea of what your points are worth to you. Many folks value Economy redemption at less than 1c each, Business at 3c each and First 6-8c each, but its a personal thing who's answer resides in how you yourself like to travel.

Armed with the above, you will probably find that several cards present themselves are candidates whilst others are abvious non starters. Have a look here for any current deals: Current Credit Card Promotions

By learning some rules of thumb from the community here, and putting in a little bit of effort, I have been able to radically change how I fly, and if anything, my costs have reduced significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back