Is CITIBANK @4½ points/$ better than 28° for International Purchases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumthinfornuthin

Established Member
Would CITIBANK at 4.5 points per dollar be better that 28 DEGREES for International purchases. Still have currency conversion fees on both cards ??? just no ATM fees on the 28 DEGREES ??? I Think but not 100 % sure ??

I used CITIBANK for an O/S holiday and got loads of points from the US

No currency conversion or withdrawal fees on 28deg. Some ATMs (eg US, Thailand, Cambodia) may charge.

I generally wouldn't think 3% conversion fee is worth the points.

Would CITIBANK at 4.5 points per dollar be better that 28 DEGREES for International purchases. Still have currency conversion fees on both cards ??? just no ATM fees on the 28 DEGREES ??? I Think but not 100 % sure ??

There are no FOREX charges on the 28°, so that puts the 4½ point/$ at a cost of the Citibank [-]2.5%[/-]3.3% "Foreign Currency Conversion Fee".

Last edited:

Which card are you using? I can't see a card that earns 4.5 points for OS spend... The Signature is 4 and the Select is 5

There are no FOREX charges on the 28°, so that puts the 4½ point/$ at a cost of 2.5% ...

Where do you get the 2.5% from? Do you mean the FX fee that Citibank charges? If only it was 2.5%...

Visa International Transaction Fee3.3% of transaction amount
ques_mark.gif
Charged for any transaction made in foreign currency.This fee only applies to transactions in foreign countries

Which card are you using? I can't see a card that earns 4.5 points for OS spend... The Signature is 4 and the Select is 5

Where do you get the 2.5% from? Do you mean the FX fee that Citibank charges? If only it was 2.5%...

Visa International Transaction Fee
3.3% of transaction amount
ques_mark.gif

Charged for any transaction made in foreign currency.
This fee only applies to transactions in foreign countries

I recently did matching transactions (same day, within 5 minutes of each other) on Citi Plat and 28 Degrees. Difference was slightly more than 3.3% (about 3.5). For me not worth it considering the "real point value" is actually 2/3 of the Citibank points value, SQ in my case.

No currency conversion or withdrawal fees on 28deg. Some ATMs (eg US, Thailand, Cambodia) may charge.

I generally wouldn't think 3% conversion fee is worth the points.

I think it comes down to whether you are intending to use the card to accumulate points, or are happy with cheaper no-exchange fees and no points.

Put it this way, if a CC is a big points earner and you need them sourced this way, then weigh up what the points are worth to you. With the 3.3% forex conversion fee earning an equivalent 3.33 points per dollar (assume KF or VFF transfer), then you are buying your points at 1c/point.

If however, you don't need the points, and want to save some money, compare this to saving your 3.3% on the forex-fee-free card and getting your points somewhere else.

I have the CITIBANK SIGNATURE ( No fees for life....THANKS TO THIS WEBSITE 5 YEARS AGO !!!!) that pays 1.5 Citibank Rewards points per dollar PLUS 3 points for overseas spend

Umm. Are you sure it's "plus"? I think it is just 4 points per dollar for overseas spend. I have the same card but at 4 points per dollar it's not worth it. At 4.5 its probably not worth it. At 5 (Select) it's getting closer.

Definitly 4.5 ( 1.5 + 3 when overseas spend). I have checked my statements.

Maybe they have different levels ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back