INTERACTIVE SURVEY - Travel Plans messed up by COVID-19? Be Proactive? Or Patient?

JennyMG

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Hundreds of us (probably thousands) on this site have long awaited travel plans thwarted by this historical and unprecedented medical emergency. Millions around the world are wondering what to do with their bookings, flights, destinations.
Wanting to know what others are doing? What they think? Where they were going, and if they're cancelling? Postponing? or still going? Or at a loss what to do?

These answers might help others make decisions, be proactive, or patient.

COPY AND PASTE the questions below into this thread, putting your own brief answers.
Then read others, to get a feel of what others are thinking about this, quite frankly, diabolical situation.

YOUR TRIP:

1. Your origin, transit & destination country/cities,.
2. What were/are your travel dates?
3. Business or Pleasure? and with whom? (family, children, friends, work)

4. Had you already booked your flights or cruise? With whom?
5. Did you book through a travel agent? Or DIY?
6. Are you on an organised tour or doing your own thing?

7. Have you had any of your travel already cancelled by an airline? or cruise co.?
8. What other arrangements did/will you make because of that?

9. have you been on the telephone or a chat with an airline or tour company? What for?
10. How long did it take? Did you get your issue sorted?

11a Are you still going ahead with your full trip? Just Part of the trip? Or None of the trip?
11b. What are your reasons for the above?
12. If you have not yet decided (14), then how long will you wait before making a decision, and why?
13. Do you have major concerns regarding your trip? What are they?
14. Are there any imposed restrictions which are causing trouble for your itinerary?

15. Did you buy travel insurance BEFORE Jan 31 2020? with whom?
16. Have you got travel insurance that covers cancellations? Or cancel for any reason?
17. Does your insurance cover epidemics/pandemics or not at all? Or are you unsure?
18. Have you already cancelled flights/cruise/accommodation? Did you get charged fees / points?
19. Have you changed / rebooked your flights/cruise/accommodation? To when? Did you get charged fees/points?

20. Have you, or do you, intend on claiming your trip cancellations on insurance?

- Sydney>transit Singapore>Paris. France/Germany/Netherlands/Austria/Switzerland/Italy- Rome>transit Doha>Bangkok>Sydney.
2. What were/are your travel dates? June 2 -July 28
3. Business or Pleasure? and with whom? (family, children, friends, work) Pleasure - couple.

4. Had you already booked your flights or cruise? With whom? Yes, Sing Air, Air France, Qatar, Qantas.
5. Did you book through a travel agent? Or DIY? DIY
6. Are you on an organised tour or doing your own thing? oWN THING.

7. Have you had any of your travel already cancelled by an airline? or cruise co.? Lucky so far.
8. What other arrangements did/will you make because of that? -

9. have you been on the telephone or a chat with an airline or tour company? What for?

Yes, Qantas, to change our initial China Eastern flights via Shanghai, to Qatar Airlines via Doha to BKK, and add another flight to Syd. Qantas were great. (it was an award flight + last leg had to be commercial)
10. How long did it take? Did you get your issue sorted? about 3hrs wait, another hour organising. Yes.

11a Are you still going ahead with your full trip? Just Part of the trip? Or None of the trip?
NO IDEA.
I'm hoping it will get better? 2.5 months to go. Not looking good.
12. If you have not yet decided (14), then how long will you wait before making a decision, and why?
Again, no idea. I don't want to cancel, it's taken SO long to save up, to make so many wonderful detailed arrangements, and it was tough getting some of my bookings. I guess I'll wait until a month before to start deciding. (when some of my accomm. needs to be confirmed.)
I'm worried about getting sick while I'm away. Worried about my sons at home.
MOSTLY I'm worried it will be all shut, and quiet and scary - that's not what I want from my Europe trip.
Worried I'll have to cancel entirely.
14. Are there any imposed restrictions which are causing trouble for your itinerary?
Yes, Italy is our last stop - leaving Rome before a stopover in Bangkok. (award flight) Thais have imposed medical screening restrictions and quarantines if problems are found. Worried I'll get stuck.
Insure and Go, last year 2019.
16. Have you got travel insurance that covers cancellations? Or cancel for any reason?
Not cancel for any reason, so can't change my mind. I'll be covered if Govt. restrictions forbids the travel.
17. Does your insurance cover epidemics/pandemics or not at all? Or are you unsure?
epidemics are covered, no mention of pandemics.
18. Have you already cancelled flights/cruise/accommodation? Did you get charged fees / points?
Yes cancelled (changed MU award flights to QR),was not charged points as previous operator had told me no charge and it was on the 'screen'.
19. Have you changed / rebooked your flights/cruise/accommodation? To when? Did you get charged fees/points?
Changed flights to same day 28 July. This was early Feb. Didn't know it was going to get this bad. Didn't know Italy would be involved. Was just going around China!
20. Have you, or do you, intend on claiming your trip cancellations on insurance?
Definitely. If I can't get refunded from the hotel/airline/credit card. And if I can. Have a couple K worth of accom non refundable.

1. Your origin, transit & destination country/cities,. SYD-SIN-JBN-CPT then cruise to Seychelles
2. What were/are your travel dates? departing March 10
3. Business or Pleasure? and with whom? (family, children, friends, work) pleasure - retired couple

4. Had you already booked your flights or cruise? With whom? Yes - SQ award flight, cruise direct with Ponant - hotels in Seychelles and Mauritius direct with hotels
5. Did you book through a travel agent? Or DIY?DIY
6. Are you on an organised tour or doing your own thing? Cruise only is "organised"

7. Have you had any of your travel already cancelled by an airline? or cruise co.? No - so far so good
8. What other arrangements did/will you make because of that? N/A

9. have you been on the telephone or a chat with an airline or tour company? What for? No
10. How long did it take? Did you get your issue sorted? N/A

11a Are you still going ahead with your full trip? Just Part of the trip? Or None of the trip? full trip - 6 weeks in total
11b. What are your reasons for the above? N/A
12. If you have not yet decided (14), then how long will you wait before making a decision, and why? off and running tomorrow
13. Do you have major concerns regarding your trip? What are they? Cruise cancelled due to Seychelles banning cruises and/or additional countries
14. Are there any imposed restrictions which are causing trouble for your itinerary? no

15. Did you buy travel insurance BEFORE Jan 31 2020? with whom? Ye via AmEx and ANZ credit cards
16. Have you got travel insurance that covers cancellations? Or cancel for any reason? YES - but not "for any reason"
17. Does your insurance cover epidemics/pandemics or not at all? Or are you unsure? Yes - ANZ definitely
18. Have you already cancelled flights/cruise/accommodation? Did you get charged fees / points? N/A
19. Have you changed / rebooked your flights/cruise/accommodation? To when? Did you get charged fees/points? N/A

20. Have you, or do you, intend on claiming your trip cancellations on insurance? N/A

Good luck, luxury-lizard, I look forward to hearing what a wonderful time you have. Jenny.

At this stage still going Brisbane to San Francisco and Las Vegas in April.....however it is a bit of a wait and see. Arranged through travel agent. Quick trip with sister on days off (6 days in total). $800 cancellation fee each which we will wear if necessary, about the same to change. Can cancel 24hrs before departure - hence wait and see. Have not booked hotels yet and prices have dropped drastically in Las Vegas, not so much in SF. Will have a look at that and book some with free cancellation - although they want me to pay now...a bit of drama with the foreign exchange on cancellation as I always seem to lose money on this....
Post automatically merged:

Ps I do have annual travel insurance with TID that expires in May.

Having said that I have cancelled a trip to Taiwan in Feb and Las Vegas/New Orleans which I would have left for today.

Origin - Melbourne
Transit - Kuala Lumpor + Muscat
Destination - Manchester (then the north of Scotland)

Travel dates are 21 April to 8 May

Pleasure, with friends for a kiln formed glass art workshop with a specific scottish artist

Booked flights in July last year, paid on Amex

DIY

An organised tour/workshop - sole reason for travelling. No additional time (one overnight on the way to Lybster, on overnight on the way back to Manchester)

7. Have you had any of your travel already cancelled by an airline? or cruise co?
Tour/workshop has been cancelled as the artist has an auto-immune disease and does not want to potentially exposed to anyone with corona virus..

I have submitted a cancellation request or alternatively a credit for future flight to Oman Air (but the airfare is probably non-refundable)

No

n/a

None of the trip - the artist has cancelled their participation as they have an auto-immune disease and want to minimise the possibility of exposure to covid19

n/a

The main challenges would be on return to Australia as I am self-employed and a self-quarantine period would impact on my income.

NO

Yes - annual policy with Allianz as needed rental car cover for driving holiday in WA (plus cover from Amex due to ticket purchase on card)

16. Have you got travel insurance that covers cancellations?
Yes - via Amex
Or cancel for any reason? No

Allianz does not cover, Amex does.

Rental car - may have to wear around $500
Accommodation - can cancel up until end of March with no penalty (this is the two nights driving to and fro, the accommodation and meals at Lybster was covered by the tour / workshop fee and will be refunded by the tour organiser)

[/QUOTE]
No

20. Have you, or do you, intend on claiming your trip cancellations on insurance
I will claim through Amex insurance if Oman will not refund or issue credit for my flights. At this stage the flight costs ($5,000) are my primary issue.

p.s I wonder about the wisdom of putting some of this information on a forum that a travel insurer may review.

p.s I wonder about the wisdom of putting some of this information on a forum that a travel insurer may review.

Facts are facts, Nickykim. Doesn't sound like you'd be doing anything untoward. I'm sorry about your trip. :/

1. Your origin, transit & destination country/cities
VIE-IST-RUH
RUH-KWI
KWI-DOH-DAD
DAD-SIN
SIN-BNE
BNE-MEL
MEL-CBR
CBR-SYD-TBU
TBU-AKL-SYD-HND-ICN
ICN-PRG
PRG-VIE
May-June 2020
Solo trip with a bit of both mixed in.
I had already booked everything except RUH-KWI. Each line of the itinerary was booked on a different ticket (and mostly using points), with bookings made through SQ, QF, VA, EY and UA.
DIY.
Doing my own thing.
7. Have you had any of your travel already cancelled by an airline? or cruise co.?
Yes - so far ICN-PRG (operated by OK, booked using Etihad Guest miles) has been cancelled was Czech Airlines has completely withdrawn from the route.
Luckily, none so far.
9. Have you been on the telephone or a chat with an airline or tour company? What for?
I called Etihad today to get a refund for the aforementioned flight.
I was on hold for 20 minutes and the refund was issued 5 minutes later. (FWIW, I asked the lady at the Belgrade call centre if she had been dealing with many other cancellations, and her reply was "you have no idea!")
I still intend to take part of the trip, but am closely monitoring the situation and will make a final decision in May. I may skip RUH & KWI, and will most likely fly home directly from TBU/AKL to VIE, skipping Japan and South Korea.
The travel ban/escalating situation in Japan & Korea, and possible implementation of further travel restrictions by Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
I will wait until ~1 week before I'm supposed to depart. It's too early to know now what will happen in 3 months' time as this situation is changing daily. Most of my tickets are award bookings, so I can cancel any time before departure and the penalty is the same - unless my flight/s are cancelled by the airline or a waiver is issued down the track, in which case I can change or cancel without penalty.
I'm not worried about getting coronavirus. I am worried about (a) getting stuck somewhere/denied entry due to travel restrictions being imposed by a country mid-way through my trip, and (b) getting coronavirus and then passing it onto my elderly grandparents, who I am visiting during this trip.
South Korea.
Yes, with Insureandgo.
Yes.
I don't believe coronavirus is specifically excluded by my insurance policy, but will call the insurer to check before departing.
So far I've only cancelled the ICN-PRG flight and got a full refund as this was airline-initiated. I will probably have to cancel the TBU-ICN booking and expect to have to pay a penalty unless United issues a waiver or a flight gets changed by the airline at some point.
I haven't yet rebooked anything. It's too early to know what will happen in June. However, I note that SQ is waiving change fees for bookings made this month - so might book a TBU-VIE award with KrisFlyer miles before the end of this month.
Not unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
1. Your origin, transit & destination country/cities
SYD/SIN/JNB return

Originally 1 Apr - 17 Apr
Then 29 Mar - 17 Apr
Then 27 Mar - 17 Apr (depending if my ticket gets reinstated)

UPDATE - flights have now been changed and ticketed to 27 Mar morning. I'm suspicious that VA are lying to me about evening services being available - and even more suspicious is that there was award availability for the morning services when I checked at 6am - but with no outbound itinerary at all (and the impossible VA/SQ combination of call centres and brick walls) I'll take what I can get.

Leisure with partner

VA points redemption on SQ (J)

Through Velocity who are the "agent" in this case - although if you had a choice you wouldnt use them.

Independent driving holiday

SQ cancelled the original SIN-JNB sector on 1 April and gave us a replacement invalid itinerary misconnecting in SIN
Fixed by VA requesting reward space on SQ to move to 29 Mar
SQ cancelled the revised SIN-JNB sector on 29 Mar and gave us a replacement invalid itinerary misconnecting in SIN
VA are trying to fix it but the reservation has auto-cancelled this morning.

So at the moment have no outbound itineary

Have cancelled a rail sector JNB-CPT as it's once a week and we misconnect

Yes - lots of arguments with Velocity about "class of service" versus "reward space" and that this is an involuntary schedule change - i.e. open up reward space for our itinerary to be accommodated, dont look to see what's available on the day. All flights are wide open in J

About 4 hours so far plus the stress and it's still not sorted.

Yes as South Africa has few cases, short transits in SIN and being in J. Good level of health for both of us. Also a driving holiday limits the number of interactions vs train/cruise.

The overall risk profile seems low

Not yet

Yes - Covermore

Not sure yet need to check - action item for today.

Not sure yet need to check - action item for today.

No

I'd better not be.

We need our itinerary fixed or we'll be in small claims with VA/SQ as well as claiming on insurance.

Last edited:
I still intend to take part of the trip, but am closely monitoring the situation and will make a final decision in May.
I will wait until ~1 week before I'm supposed to depart. It's too early to know now what will happen in 3 months' time as this situation is changing daily. Most of my tickets are award bookings,
I'm not worried about getting coronavirus. I am worried about (a) getting stuck somewhere/denied entry due to travel restrictions being imposed by a country mid-way through my trip, and (b) getting coronavirus and then passing it onto my elderly grandparents, who I am visiting during this trip.

Yes, with Insureandgo.
Yes.
I don't believe coronavirus is specifically excluded by my insurance policy, but will call the insurer to check before departing.
Massive itinerary Matt, lots of complications. Very interesting to see how you're approaching it. I'm also leaving 2 June, but to Europe.
Seems like your cancellation and refund went fairly smoothly. That's a blessing.

I think my husband and I are also going to monitor until May, it's very very hard to make any sort of informed decision before then.
Europe - summer season, high season...they're not going to want to be closed up, but...like you, I'm not worried about getting it I'm worried that a) everything or a lot of things will be shut, or very quiet and dull, or b) same..that I'll get stuck somewhere, either because one of us gets sick, or because of restrictions.
My flights are also 1/2 awards, half commercial, but they're not the problem...the accommodation which I prebooked is much more the problem soem of it being non refundable (and also a Scenic river cruise)).

I'm also with Insure and Go, and posted somewhere else on the forum exactly what I asked and exactly what was said. As it's prior to the coronavirus you ARE covered for it, (medical etc) but not if you're going against Smart Traveller recommendation. Youd also be covered if your itinerary was kyboshed by some restriction or other, so you COULDN'T go, and couldn't be refunded. But NOT covered if you change your mind, and don't WANT TO go FOR any reason such as you might give it to your Grandparents. So...between a rock and a hard place. Go...and be risky, or don't go...and pay for it.

What a nightmare @antycbr - I agree risk seems relatively low there, but VA, ...making it pretty hard. I suspect they're doing it pretty tough there with stressed anxious people trying to deal with the situation, and it wouldn't help if the staff are under trained and you're getting unworkable itineraries. :/

SYD-SIN
SIN-DOH-CPH
CPH-KEF
KEF-HEL
HEL-JFK-LAX
PHX-MIA
Miami Bahamas Cruise
MIA-JFK
JFK-HND-TSA
TPE-SYD
31st March - 13th May

Holiday wtih GF to start the trip then meeting up with mates in America

Yes.
Scoot.
OWA J Booking (part 1).
Iceland Air.
Delta.
American Airlines.
China Airlines (award)

DIY

Own thing. Have 1 or 2 day activities booked

No. All still good for now. PARANOID because of so many rotating parts.

n/a

no

n/a

Currently sitting on the fence. Either going full steam ahead or pull the plug on everything.

We still want to go and are not scared of the virus itself but the risk of being quarantined somewhere and not being able to make my next flight is a worry because i think the whole itinerary (especially OWA) will crumble.

I told myself i will decide 23-25th March. I keep saying, if my flights were this week or next week, i'm outa here!

I can't make my next OWA flight which will screw up the rest of the trip PLUS my PART 2 for later this year.

No restrictions at the time of writing this. Only one is DOH screening all SIN passengers.

No. I was counting on CC insurance and in January I wasnt worried about it since the virus was in China only so i forgot and stopped thinking about it. Didn't even cross my mind to check if the CC insurance covers epidemic and/or pandemics - which it doesn't.

I have purchased a policy last week which will cover cancellations if the official warning to a country is "Do Not Travel". I also got this policy to cover medical expenses due to the virus since my CC wont cover it. I bought an annual policy so i can also use for Part 2.. and it also covers snow spots.

CC - NOPE
TravelInsuranz - It did. Covered cancellations/curtailment and medical (Post 07/03/20)

No.

No

Not sure if i can or not yet.

what is available is:
- Change OWA to a later date.
- Royal Caribbean Cruise providing cancellation credit
- Delta providing credit (i think)
- Some Airbnb offering 50% back minus service fee (total airbnb booking for America is $19k) - this is with a group though.. so not sure how this is going to work if some of the people still go.
- Car Rental is refundable
- Coachella Tickets (there is news this will be postpone or cancelled)
- Snorkeling cancellation free at a certain date

Non-Refundable (rough estimate for 2 people)
- Iceland Air tickets $1,500
- Booking.com/hotels.com/airbnb non refundable bookings $2,500
- American Airlines $400
- Lakers Game (could probable resell this at a BIG loss) $830

What a nightmare @antycbr - I agree risk seems relatively low there, but VA, ...making it pretty hard. I suspect they're doing it pretty tough there with stressed anxious people trying to deal with the situation, and it wouldn't help if the staff are under trained and you're getting unworkable itineraries. :/
I really feel for the people, but the issue Is purely SQ. It could be fixed by SQ when they do the reaccommodation on other services. For gods sake, check if the pax is connecting and fix that sector AT THE SAME TIME.

Don't make your pax have to do hostage negotiations with partner airline reward centre staff where you have to go backwards and forwards between a call centre and a brick wall.

Don't wait for pax reservations to vaporise due to TTL restrictions.

Connections are core SQ business - when you operate a scissor hub over SIN you should you know, like, make sure connections work?

Surely Sabre/Amadeus tell you when you have an invalid (-42 hour) connection? Talk about making it hard for everyone involved.

As I maintain - SQ is great in the air but a disaster on the ground if anything goes even so slightly not according to plan.

Last edited:
No. All still good for now. PARANOID because of so many rotating parts.

Currently sitting on the fence. Either going full steam ahead or pull the plug on everything.
We still want to go and are not scared of the virus itself but the risk of being quarantined somewhere and not being able to make my next flight is a worry because i think the whole itinerary (especially OWA) will crumble.
Holy Moly. Similar to my predicament in so many ways. But you're travelling REALLY soon. :/
A complicated itin, which is similar to mine...so many moving parts.
I'm also very concerned that if one part gives, that it will domino effect all my other parts.
I've so many things paid already (early bird but no cancellation) Agree with your 11b answer. Same.
Have a similar situation as your DOH SIN at the end of ours, Rome>DOH>BKK. At the moment NO ONE will let us back in, to anywhere, certainly not Thailand, and not Sydney either, (unless quarantined 14 days.) on our way home. Doubt even that our flight with Qatar will be running right now (that's next on my check list.) It's going to want to perk up pretty fast, before the whole house of cards starts to fall for manypeople. Holidays are just so parts dependent. Pull one bit out, and Jenga....

For me... it's almost worse to postpone/change, as it is to cancel. So many pieces I'd NEVER get to match up again. So much of it was just luck.

Also, non refundable - $2500 accommodation in France, approx 50% of Scenic River cruise, because I couldn't possibly make up my mind 90 days out. (they say I can change, but to when??) , $2000 of Venice accom, unless the ban is still on, and $2000 of Bangkok accom, unless italy is still banned from going in...in those cases I think i could claim on my insurance. So a loss of about $10K I think.

Last edited:
and not Sydney either, on our way home

Are you sure? I belive there are no restrictions on Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents returning to Australia from Italy or China if you can get home. Sure you will be asked ot self isolate but i thought the restrictions were on foreigners. only.

I spent some time checkign my rewards booking this morning, so far all my flights appear to be operating, one aircraft change (SYD-HKG) and one seat CHange (DOH-SIN) but wil keep monitoring.

Are you sure? I belive there are no restrictions on Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents returning to Australia from Italy or China if you can get home. Sure you will be asked ot self isolate but i thought the restrictions were on foreigners. only.

I spent some time checkign my rewards booking this morning, so far all my flights appear to be operating, one aircraft change (SYD-HKG) and one seat CHange (DOH-SIN) but wil keep monitoring.
oh, yes. You're right. I should have been more clear. That's what I meant. I mean they won't 'let me in' unless I self quarantine, which in itself is a bother...as I have to go to work. But of course, WON'T if I was sick. oh it's just getting all too hard!!

I'm not sure what you mean about one seat change...you mean they actually changed your allocated seat?? I have a FCO DOH BKK booking. It all looks ok so far, but I'm not holding my breath.

ou mean they actually changed your allocated seat

Yep 3K became 3A im not fussed but was weird. Im hoping everything can go ahead for me at this stage. Lot of time between now and 4th June.

Yep 3K became 3A im not fussed but was weird. Im hoping everything can go ahead for me at this stage. Lot of time between now and 4th June.
That IS weird.
I'm fence sitting at the moment too. 3rd June for my outbounds on SIA and AF, and 25th July for inbound on QR and QA. SO.....just waiting to see what happens. If the dominos fall, they fall.

1. Your origin, transit & destination country/cities,

PER-SIN

SIN-DOH-VCE

THEN PLANNED TO TRAVEL BY TRAIN IN NORTHERN ITALY, AUSTRIA AND SWITZERLAND

2. What were/are your travel dates? APRIL-MAY 2020

PLEASURE - RETIRED COUPLE

YES - BOOKED SIN-DOH-VCE IN DECEMBER WITH QR

HADN’T YET BOOKED PER-SIN FORTUNATELY

5. Did you book through a travel agent? Or DIY? DIY
6. Are you on an organised tour or doing your own thing? DOING OWN THING

7. Have you had any of your travel already cancelled by an airline? or cruise co.? NO

TRIED PHONING QR - GAVE UP AND HAVE FILLED IN ONLINE CANCELLATION

10. How long did it take? Did you get your issue sorted? NOT SORTED YET

11a. Are you still going ahead with your full trip? Just Part of the trip? Or None of the trip?
NONE OF THE TRIP

NOT KEEN TO TRAVEL TO EUROPE AS WE ARE IN THE +60 AGE GROUP

12. If you have not yet decided (14), then how long will you wait before making a decision, and why? N/A

13. Do you have major concerns regarding your trip? What are they? NO – NOT GOING

YES, WITH WORLD2COVER

NO – NOT COVERED

17. Does your insurance cover epidemics/pandemics or not at all? Or are you unsure? NO

SUBMITTED ONLINE CANCELLATION ON QR WEBSITE- HOPING FOR A FULL REFUND

FORTUNATELY I HADN'T BOOKED ANY ACCOMMODATION, OR RAIL TRIPS - SOMETIMES IT HELPS TO BE A PROCRASTINATOR

NOT COVERED - HOPING FOR FULL REFUND FROM QR

Last edited:
The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back