Inconsistent OWE treatment | Page 3 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Inconsistent OWE treatment

straitman

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Yes. This lounge by class of service. They will scan your BP at the foot of the escalator.

To get a drink you'll have to go to one of the eating areas. For a shower, go to the FAR back left, beyond the left restaurant ( as you enter). The showers opposite the entrance usually have a wait. This will make sense when you get there.

Plan your time and route to your connection as soon as you enter the lounge, so as not to get too comfortable.
Thanks RooFlyer.

Flights
My Map
Yes. This lounge by class of service. They will scan your BP at the foot of the escalator.

To get a drink you'll have to go to one of the eating areas. For a shower, go to the FAR back left, beyond the left restaurant ( as you enter). The showers opposite the entrance usually have a wait. This will make sense when you get there.

Plan your time and route to your connection as soon as you enter the lounge, so as not to get too comfortable.
Very accurate advice here. I recently did Qsuite from AKL and could've done with this coming off a bus gate after 18hrs trying to find showers was like trying to solve a rubix cube. For me QR hard product is great but I much prefer DXB as a transit airport. Would only do EK in Y not QR for this reason.

GPH

Flights
My Map
Flying as OWE with QR was an inconsistent joke. Flew economy this time (personal trip for wedding). ADL-DOH-ESB.

ADL-DOH seats next to me pre-blocked off which was nice as flight almost full. No personal greeting or taking order first.

DOH-ESB flight virtually empty, tried to sell me an upgrade at a ridiculous price, declined. Personal greeting and meal choice, but not hard given flight was almost a ghost plane. Ditto for ESB-DOH

DOH-ADL (this is where it gets really interesting). Ask about having seats blocked off, apparently someone had selected the seats next to me... okay, is the plane full/ can you change my seat? Person in Ankara useless.

"First" lounge in DOH a laughable joke (did not even have cold drinks as no fridges in the lounge, WTF???). Asked for cold water and was bordering on the absurd to watch someone have to run to location-unknown to bring me such an incredible bespoke luxury for a first lounge.

Tried to ask about seat selections, no help whatsoever again. Get on plane, low and behold sitting next to father and sick four year old. Plane not nearly full, a number of other people have two empty seats, lots of empty singles. No greeting. Complain to the FA (at this point tired and losing patience so a bit of sarcasm), asked him if the Y cabin was full of OWE that I ended up with such a fantastic seating position? Apparently I was one of the only ones, so lucky me.

Overall poor experience compared to other OW options (Cathay, Qantas etc.). Only flew them Y due to great connection time to ESB from ADL, would never fly them below J again.
“Flew Y this time” ! Does that mean you have flown J or F with them before? If so what was that experience like?

“Low” and behold, at first I thought that’s a spelling error, but then I thought maybe it was just a “low” experience (lol)

Your TR doesn’t fill me with hope of a good experience on Qatar, thanks for the heads up.

Jack3193

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I think the only exception to ‘first class lounge = first class pax’ is oneworld? Star and Skyteam, pretty much don’t have bulk access to F lounges.
Of course SQ go a step further at Changi. Even flying F with another *A airline doesn't get you into the *real* F lounge (The Private Room) - access is restricted solely to people flying F with SQ.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Of course SQ go a step further at Changi. Even flying F with another *A airline doesn't get you into the *real* F lounge (The Private Room) - access is restricted solely to people flying F with SQ.
I believe that is exactly what QR do with their "real" business and first lounges in Doha.
And also BA with the Concorde Room in London.

SeatBackForward

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I believe that is exactly what QR do with their "real" business and first lounges in Doha.
Its diluting the OW badge. We'll do the bare minimum required for OW membership but continue to treat our own passengers elegantly. Which is fine, that's each airline prerogative. But at some point either OW will let it continue, get called out for being a farce and therefore lose credibility and value, or OW will have to clamp down on it - but I don't see how this second option is feasible.

Jack3193

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Similar but not exactly the same. Qatar gives access to its own Platinum members (flying in J) and I believe BA gives access to GGLs (flying in any cabin).

The Private Room is for those travelling in SQ F only. There is no access based on any kind of status, nor based on flying F with a partner.

That was my point... Oneworld gives anyone with status access to their F lounges... which can be quite inexpensive to achieve (double status credits for example). Star Alliance and Skyteam are much more restrictive. Lufthansa Group comes to mind alongside SQ... the LX and LH F lounges require an F boarding pass on LH group only, or HON status (which is a high bar, nothing compared to achieving OWE).

AFF on Air Podcast

• Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlexiJ