How do I get 500 SC before 31 Jul 09? (Conditions apply)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabee

Hi all,

Thanks for the very informative site, I have learnt so much already.

My situation:

• I have started a FIFO job which is two weeks on two weeks off flying SYD - DAR.
  • My membership year expires 31 Jul 09
  • I am 500 SC away from being WP
  • I would like to achieve WP this year because not only for the extra points but the added benefit of a better chance for op ups (this may not be true so happy to hear experiences). i am also planning a bit of J international flying next membership year so the lounge access would be great too
  • I get two weeks off a month, my girlfriend doesn't so I have plenty of time on my hands
  • I know I could just buy a first class fare and go somewhere for a couple of days and be done with it but I believe there must be more creative (cheaper and interesting) ways to do it.
I have searched 'status run' etc with no luck. I have also looked at the social gathering pages.

What I am interested in is obviously earning the required SC for WP and was wondering if there was any sort of social flying (pax) club as part of the site? I mean I would be interested in flying with other like minded individuals somewhere for lunch and a beer and then home again. Enjoying the QC each step of the way and seeing parts of Australia and even overseas as part of it.
I am also not made of money so would want this to be as cost effective as possible. I have seen some threads on domestic status runs (SYD-CBR-MEL-ADL return). Is there an accepted 'best earner'?...

Thanks in advance for any replies and as I travel solo for work I would be more than happy to host anyone into the QC lounge. I will post my travel details in the relevant thread.

Cheers...

Welcome.

WP will get to top of the list for points upgrades (ok chairmans lounge get higher but not many of them), for OP-ups sure you will probably be considered ahead of others but you can never count of them, many WP's go 2 years without even getting a single one, just depends on when you fly and luck. (I have been lucky and got rather a lot)

As for status runs, there is the options... look at these...

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/com...s/queensland-mining-towns-tour-jan-12123.html
I can't find the follow up thread but JohnK enjoyed it even with the floods in progress, just an idea anyway.

Some star class domestic op's ??
JQ35 SYD-MEL TUE-SAT Depart 3:15PM
JQ29 SYD-MEL TUES Depart 11:05AM
JQ36 MEL-SYD WED Depart 9:00am
JQ30 MEL-SYD FRI Depart 12:00am
JQ3 MEL-SYD MON Depart 2:15pm

LAN J to aukland ??

Or a cheap cheap USA flight and some KUPP's or YUPP's (instant first class upgrades that are more economy prices)

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/com...-advantage/good-sc-earning-value-ex-8840.html

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/community/your-questions/aa-instant-upgrade-booking-class-15890.html

Evan

I would think v carefully before spending the amount needed to get 500SCs and whether you will really get value out of it.

The 1st lounge is nice, but is it worth spending several hundred dollars on

I would not spend it based on the idea of getting an involuntary upgrade. They are very rare beasties. You would be better using the money that would be spent on getting Platinum towards a few business fares rather than expecting involuntary upgrades since you will likely go through your year's membership without ever getting one

Dave

Thanks for the very quick responses everyone.

I know there is significant expense in attaining the WP status but it was more killing a few birds with one stone so to speak. We are planning a couple of overseas trips next membership year and I would like to try the first lounge, I would also like to give myself the best chance of a points upgrade to first. An A380 first trip would be a dream (did business this year). I realise that getting an op up depends on lots of things (I have had two this membership year) but I am hoping WP would give me the absolute best chance, I am by no means planning on this. Also, I am putting a value on the 100% points bonus. I am sure that there will be people out there that think I am stupid, but put it this way, I love flying and have two weeks off each month (which my missus does not) so I am sitting around home bored.

Thanks for the advice on starclass domestic fares, this is exactly the thing I am after....

How do you book into *class on these flights? I can't seem to get offered that on the jetstar website?

Thats odd, i had no problems.
First one i hit... Wed 15th April MEL-SYD $329
Back on the 18th, same $329

E

Op-Up's are very rare, really they are. Points upgrade as WP i almost have 100% rate of getting them.

As said the cost for 500SC is not really small at the moment. But if you think its worth it then go for it.

YUP/KUP's in the USA used to give the best rates if you could find the good ones, but less aournd that offer great earning now, still it can be done if your lucky to find the right routeing.

I would just as much prefer to spend 7k or 8k on a DONE3 / DONE4 and you make your status easy and have a great round thr world in business class.

E

Seating:
- Don't get your hopes up about too many op-ups on that run:
(i) SYD-DRW is long enough for companies to cough-up the cost of a full business class ticket, and
(ii) there's so many people commuting SYD-DRW and CBR-DRW weekly that it seems half the passengers are platinum!
- In my experience, best chance for upgrades has been to avoid the weekly commuter flights up on Sunday evening and back on Friday afternoon. However, do not be tempted into a red-eye flight - you will regret it!
- Even after a few trips, with well-timed online checkins, you'll soon be getting seat 4C or 4D (which is almost as good as business class if they don't put anyone in beside you) or possibly down the back in the exit rows 13 and 14, but there's always someone huge jammed in the B or E seats there!

QP:

- DRW QP is crowded on Friday afternoons, so it is usually more pleasant to sit outside in the public terminal and eat some Red Rooster instead!

Have fun!

Were you offered the double SC's by QF ? that would make it a lot easier. then then you need QF flight numbers not JQ ones so you would need to search for domestic QF flights only... and they are never great value but with all the sales you never know, of course things like ADL-MEL-CBR and anything where you can connect is a better earner. CBR is popular since most flights are via another city.

E

Russ,

My change out day is Wed or Thurs so no dramas with the Fri rush and the company doesn't make us take the red eye so all good there.

Evan,

No joy so far on the double status offer. I tried ringing QFF today to see if I could be offered it (planning a trip to Honolulu early July). I will mention that I will consider another airline for this trip if they aren't interested in offering it to me. Granted I am not a big spender but I have done 35 sectors with QF in this membership year and I know that isn't heaps compared to some on here.

Does the double SC offer apply to JQ too?

We might just have to indulge starclass to Honolulu and I might have to do a solo starclass to Tokyo and that will cover it (280SC each return trip)

<..>
Does the double SC offer apply to JQ too?
<..>

No, only to QF flight number on the ticket, so if you get JQ flight with a QF flight number then it would count, otherwise i am afraid not.
Also does not apply to say an AA flight number on QF Metal like i have booked that i will try to change to QF flight number if i can swing it.

E

Let me tell you that being Platinum does not give you that much better chance of getting op-ups. I have had 3 domestic op-ups SYD-BNE in 9 months travelling back and forth almost every week.

Most of the time I am allocated a seat 6 or 7 rows back in WHY and I have had to use OLCI to improve my allocated seat closer to the front. And then there was this time where I managed to grab 24E, aisle seat on international configuration 767, and found myself sitting in the middle seat, substituted to domestic configuration 767 at the last minute, for a few minutes until they found a seat for further down the back. How did the person get 24F when it did not exist in the original configuration?

I would just as much prefer to spend 7k or 8k on a DONE3 / DONE4 and you make your status easy and have a great round thr world in business class.

7k or 8k on a DONE3 maybe, but a DONE4 I'm guessing you mean in another country (i.e. need positioning flights) - this is even without the 10% off special (which has just expired). Not sure which countries these might be (guess = Indonesia or India).

As said the cost for 500SC is not really small at the moment. But if you think its worth it then go for it.

Getting SCs in that order of magnitude is never pretty. I should know - I did it the hard way....

Like everyone says, WP is selective in benefits to each person, but if you think it is worth it, then go for it. WP is most effective if you are travelling internationally - more so if you can exploit oneworld Emerald benefits and even more if you are travelling on QF/BA/AA cash tickets (rather than awards). I guess the other benefits I've discovered is sometimes a bit of "special" treatment on board and more availability of Classic Awards (online as well as over the phone when online seems to show no more availability). But this is all not consistent as such - which is probably why it isn't published. Not every WP gets op-ups (I certainly haven't yet - but I don't have a large test sample size, either), not every WP gets recognised every flight, let alone on the odd flight, not every international upgrade is going to go through, even if you are the only WP on board and absolutely no one bought a seat in the next class of service, and (finally) even as a WP you might have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa before you can find the award seat you're looking for.

But as mentioned - here are some ideas to get SCs:
  • Flying BNE/ADL via MEL (just search BNE to ADL or vv, then look for options via MEL) or ADL/CBR via SYD gives 25 SC each for pretty decent value. Works OK for me since I'm based in BNE (I did BNE-MEL-ADL-SYD-CBR-SYD-ADL-MEL-BNE in a weekend - that's 100 SC all up), but I have to overnight somewhere before returning the next day, which adds to the cost, or costs points. Works better if you don't have to pay for intermediate transfers or overnight stays (i.e. stay at home or with friend). The current sales can net you a gross rate of about $5 - $6 / SC (including c/c charges). A couple of these aren't bad if you're just a few SC off your target.
  • SYD/AKL on LA800 in J: look for discount business (D) fares on lan.com. 80SC per crossing of the Tasman. LA800 leaves about 1045h from SYD; LA801 leaves 0545h from AKL :shock:. Best purchased by buying each leg separately, rather than booking a return flight. Used to be OK, perhaps a bit expensive now; you could save yourself a hotel in AKL if you do a direct turnaround by sleeping at AKL airport :shock:. Yep, pretty extreme - not for the feint hearted. Gross rate is about $5.5 - $7 / SC.
  • Current JQ sales in *C give a nice rate - again either overnight in the destination or in most cases can do direct turn around. SYD-KIX (via OOL) return appears to give the best value, at $799 per leg, or about $1600 all up. Final SC rate is between $5 - $6.5 / SC. A couple of these would grab the 500SC easily.
  • YUPP or KUPP runs in the US - I have absolutely no skill or experience with this, but traditionally this has been a SC boon for the hardened elites (pun intended) here. Rates of between $2 - $4.5 / SC have been reported in the past, but from current opinion, rates appear to be rising (most probably due to weaker AUD->USD exchange rate). Positioning into the US is required.

The list is probably not exhaustive, and only really include candidates for SC runs (i.e. economical SC rates, otherwise a few J flights would easily net you the points required). Also, some may require extreme measures, unless you don't mind turning a SC run into a small holiday (and add the expenses on top of that). But as you can see in any case, getting to WP isn't going to be too cheap.

Good luck!

7k or 8k on a DONE3 maybe, but a DONE4 I'm guessing you mean in another country (i.e. need positioning flights) - this is even without the 10% off special (which has just expired). Not sure which countries these might be (guess = Indonesia or India).

<..>

South Korea or South Africa is what i was thinking. (have used both)
E

• Flying BNE/ADL via MEL (just search BNE to ADL or vv, then look for options via MEL) or ADL/CBR via SYD gives 25 SC each for pretty decent value. Works OK for me since I'm based in BNE (I did BNE-MEL-ADL-SYD-CBR-SYD-ADL-MEL-BNE in a weekend - that's 100 SC all up), but I have to overnight somewhere before returning the next day, which adds to the cost, or costs points. Works better if you don't have to pay for intermediate transfers or overnight stays (i.e. stay at home or with friend). The current sales can net you a gross rate of about $5 - $6 / SC (including c/c charges). A couple of these aren't bad if you're just a few SC off your target.
  • SYD/AKL on LA800 in J: look for discount business (D) fares on lan.com. 80SC per crossing of the Tasman. LA800 leaves about 1045h from SYD; LA801 leaves 0545h from AKL :shock:. Best purchased by buying each leg separately, rather than booking a return flight. Used to be OK, perhaps a bit expensive now; you could save yourself a hotel in AKL if you do a direct turnaround by sleeping at AKL airport :shock:. Yep, pretty extreme - not for the feint hearted. Gross rate is about $5.5 - $7 / SC.
  • Current JQ sales in *C give a nice rate - again either overnight in the destination or in most cases can do direct turn around. SYD-KIX (via OOL) return appears to give the best value, at $799 per leg, or about $1600 all up. Final SC rate is between $5 - $6.5 / SC. A couple of these would grab the 500SC easily
  • YUPP or KUPP runs in the US - I have absolutely no skill or experience with this, but traditionally this has been a SC boon for the hardened elites (pun intended) here. Rates of between $2 - $4.5 / SC have been reported in the past, but from current opinion, rates appear to be rising (most probably due to weaker AUD->USD exchange rate). Positioning into the US is required.

The list is probably not exhaustive, and only really include candidates for SC runs (i.e. economical SC rates, otherwise a few J flights would easily net you the points required). Also, some may require extreme measures, unless you don't mind turning a SC run into a small holiday (and add the expenses on top of that). But as you can see in any case, getting to WP isn't going to be too cheap.

Good luck!

IMO the CBR-ADL (via SYD) is the best earning rate in Oz. Followed by BNE-ADL (via MEL). Doing these return earns 50 SC and the earning rate is actually $4 to $5 per SC on fares in the current sale.

This is much better then some of the other options mentioned. I have only breifly checked these out but LAN SYD- AKL has come up as $500 for 80 SC -> 6.25 per SC, the return is cheap due to buyng in NZ$. Starclass SYD-KIX- I'd be surprised if that was as low as $5 per SC.

A cheap flight to the US and some Kupp would be the cheapest option outside of OZ, again IMO.

The real question is how much time you have? A business SYD-CBR is going to get you 40 SC for about $330 ($8/SC) in about an hour. Compare this to a CBR-xSYD-ADL return earning 50SC but for about $220 but taking all day. (BTW discount Y SYD-CBR is only 10 SC but at $6.9 per SC)

Sounds like you might have the time. So some of the cheap economy runs might be the go. Only thing I'd note is that the current sale ends tomorrow. If you are going to do this, I'd recommend locking in some trips as part ofthis sale. Sure there will be another sale, but that will eat into the time until the end of your year.

IMO the CBR-ADL (via SYD) is the best earning rate in Oz. Followed by BNE-ADL (via MEL). Doing these return earns 50 SC and the earning rate is actually $4 to $5 per SC on fares in the current sale.

This is much better then some of the other options mentioned. I have only breifly checked these out but LAN SYD- AKL has come up as $500 for 80 SC -> 6.25 per SC, the return is cheap due to buyng in NZ$. Starclass SYD-KIX- I'd be surprised if that was as low as $5 per SC.

Current sale yields $109 as cheapest for ADL/CBR via SYD - a return of these plus c/c charges gives $4.51 / SC.

OTOH SYD/KIX via OOL return in *C is $1606 including c/c charges. Theoretically, you're only supposed to get 280 SC for the return, which yields a rate of $5.73 / SC; last time I flew this route they stuffed up (probably because I asked for a forced crediting) and I got 320 SC instead for the return journey. In this case, 320 SC at the same price would yield a rate of $5.01 / SC.

Apart from the SYD/KIX returns taking up less time to get the required SCs, I have to admit I had to search tooth and nail to find a pair of cheapest *C fares before 31 July. (Looks like people snapped up this sale on this route pretty quickly.)

All up though, as medhead mentioned, if you want to put some SC runs in place, the time is now whilst the sales are on. The next sale might not be in time for your QFF anniversary.

Current sale yields $109 as cheapest for ADL/CBR via SYD - a return of these plus c/c charges gives $4.51 / SC.

OTOH SYD/KIX via OOL return in *C is $1606 including c/c charges. Theoretically, you're only supposed to get 280 SC for the return, which yields a rate of $5.73 / SC; last time I flew this route they stuffed up (probably because I asked for a forced crediting) and I got 320 SC instead for the return journey. In this case, 320 SC at the same price would yield a rate of $5.01 / SC.

Apart from the SYD/KIX returns taking up less time to get the required SCs, I have to admit I had to search tooth and nail to find a pair of cheapest *C fares before 31 July. (Looks like people snapped up this sale on this route pretty quickly.)

All up though, as medhead mentioned, if you want to put some SC runs in place, the time is now whilst the sales are on. The next sale might not be in time for your QFF anniversary.
I won't argue about 15 cents/ SC on the ADL/CBR. ;)

But I was interest in the SYD/KIX. The best I could work out was the 120SC each way for OOL/KIX as listed in the Jetstat earning table:
Frequent Flyer - About the Program - Benefits & Privileges - Jetstar Status Credits

I wasn't sure what the extra points might be from SYD. Thanks for the info.
This is the question you need to answer 6 days and $1308 for 300SC in 24 boring flights. Or 2 days and $1600 for 280SC (almost the same SC) in 2 flights?

I won't argue about 15 cents/ SC on the ADL/CBR. ;)

All right - I can't see it. What did I stuff up? :p

But I was interest in the SYD/KIX. The best I could work out was the 120SC each way for OOL/KIX as listed in the Jetstat earning table:
Frequent Flyer - About the Program - Benefits & Privileges - Jetstar Status Credits

I wasn't sure what the extra points might be from SYD. Thanks for the info.
This is the question you need to answer 6 days and $1308 for 300SC in 24 boring flights. Or 2 days and $1600 for 280SC (almost the same SC) in 2 flights?

Instead of following the "rules" and crediting SYD-KIX as one sector (140 SC - just!...mind you), they credited SYD-OOL and OOL-KIX. This gives 40 SC for SYD-OOL *C and 120 SC for OOL-KIX *C. That's 20 extra SC for one leg. Hence 320 SC.

Whether they'll "stuff up" again for a similar case is unpredictable. This is not the only time or incident where QF (or JQ for that matter) have stuffed up (mostly in favour of SCs) on multi-leg, same-flight-number flights.

So you're saying I can do a 100SC run of BNE-MEL-ADL-SYD-CBR-SYD-ADL-MEL-BNE for at most $600? That's not bad value I guess. I just would of thought it'd cost more. Do you have to book well ahead to get these earn rates?

Does this schedule allow any time to meet others at the various QP's. Or is the schedule really tight?

I tried to make a dummy booking for August but the site timed out one time and wouldn't give me any results the other time.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back