Historic Maylands Aerodrome, Perth | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Historic Maylands Aerodrome, Perth

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It was a PERfect afternoon for a walk today. A few hundred metres from my home is the Maylands Aerodrome Commemorative Park, the site of Perth's first permanent aerodrome. There's quite a lot of historical significance and visits by iconic aviators.

I though some peeps may be interested in the history and pics of the display.

Background:

Satpic.JPG

The commemorative park display, installed in 2012.

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4665.JPG

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Those who may have noticed, there is a golf course next to the memorial which was once the airstrip. I now regularly play golf there mid-week. Being a former airstrip, the course is dead flat needless to say. On each of the 18 tees, there are the usual tee markers giving the hole number, the index, par and distance. There are also an additional small sign on each tee, which describe a brief history of notable aviators and events up until the 50s. Worth a walk around the course for a little lesson in our early aviation history.

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I'm not a golfer, but thanks for the tip. I may have to take a walk there and dodge the errant ball :eek:.

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Not when I'm there, my drives go straight down the middle, as a line in an old Bing Crosby song goes...

Smilies wont work for some reason.

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I wasn't sure whether to ask what day you play so I could avoid it... ;) :p:p.

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Wow. I've never been there..Will have to pop out and take a look sometime soon.

JohnM

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Let me know when you're coming and you can drop in for a w(h)ine or coffee ;) :).

Franky

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Let me know when you're coming and you can drop in for a w(h)ine or coffee ;) :).
Sounds good. The majority of your pics from you first post have only just come thru for me. Many of those pictured appear on the plaques I was referring to on the tees. Will drop you a line when we next play there.

OZDUCK

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
When much younger, and lighter, I used to water-ski next to the remnants of the aerodrome.

Archipelago

Flights
My Map
Many thanks for this thread and especially the detailed photos.
I grew up in Perth, but never made it to the Maylands Aerodrome site before and I have not been back to Australia in many years. It was great to read all of the info on each of the plaques!

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lesleyfina

Currently Active Users